I think I tried everything...

Answered

Comments

7 comments

Hi

Why don't you post a picture, before and after inserting a sky, where the problem occurs. That will help better understand what you mean.
    There are images where the sky mask just doesn't work cleanly, either via Sky Replacement, or Mask AI. For most skies, however, it works quite well.

Comment actions Permalink
    Alan Bly

Well, this isn't a great photo, as it is over-exposed but it does show the problem.

Hi Alan,

Luminar can usually quite detect and replace the sky. By moving the individual sliders you can then adjust the sky accordingly.

I think the problem with your image is overexposure. Where Luminar has problems detecting the sky, for example, is in snowy landscapes where the boundaries between snow and other are too indistinct. With overexposures, this could also be the case that Luminar just doesn't detect the boundaries cleanly.

I would suggest you first develop your image properly. The overexposure definitely needs to be compensated for. Then save the image as TIFF. Then open it again in Luminar. I would assume that the sky will then be better recognized.

Katherine Nelson

Hi Alan Bly,

Could you kindly send the original file to our support team?

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support
    Alan Bly

Thank you. Normally, I would discard a photo that was hopelessly overexposed as this one is. But, I wanted to demonstrate the problem well, and because as you say, overexposure makes the problem more pronounced and likely it does show this issue well. But, I have seen the problem with better photos in some rare cases. I wonder if somehow masking, which I'm not very adept at, might be a way to avoid the Sky AI from showing up in adjacent light colors.  In any event, I REALLY appreciate your advice and I'll follow it, trying the suggested TIFF-file and seeing if that makes a difference

Hi Alan,

Luminar creates a masking for the sky in the background. The advantage with Luminar is that the user does not have to care about it. So even if you don't see the mask itself, the "Sky Replacement" tool in the background has a mask applied.

Every AI function reaches its limits at some point, of course. I also have quite a few images where I replace the sky with Affinity Photo, for example, because Luminar can't get it right.

Incidentally, it's not a bad idea to send in such images where you have problems Skylum. Katherine described to you one post above me how to do that. With such images Skylum can feed its AI and improve the algorithm

Alan Bly

THANKS...I've already sent the photo to Skylum with the instructions she gave above.

Please sign in to leave a comment.