Luminar Neo - Opening photo is fine. Colors desaturate immediately upon editing.

Answered

Comments

6 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi Greg,

The issue you are experiencing is not a malfunction.

Luminar generates the Previews on the base of the embedded JPEGs (RAWs contain what's called an embedded JPEG - it's a JPEG with automatic adjustments applied by the camera) but when you switch to the Edit mode, in a few seconds it uploads the RAW file as it is.

The thing is that Luminar uses a pure RAW converter. It shows more information than any other photo processor. Therefore, once the image is fully loaded, you see the actual image that you have taken with your camera with no adjustments whatsoever.

Comment actions Permalink
    Greg L

Morning Margaret,

Thanks for your response.

I took screencaps of a finished JPEG (no RAW here) in four applications: Capture One, Photoshop, Affinity Pro, and Neo, then dumped them into one PNG. I understand that during this process there are several factors that could affect how the original JPEG is displayed, and do note some interesting variance between the four.

However, where three copies are relatively consistent, the fourth is not. I can't use that one. I'm faced with a supposedly finished JPEG that goes to an unfinished state and requires more editing to bring it to a point where it already is in the other applications. 

Maybe I'm missing something in the way Neo is designed. Is there an option to continue editing the JPEG, as is? If not, this application isn't much use to me. 

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Greg L,

Could you please send us the images you're working with (RAW and JPEG)?

Here's how you can send us the files :

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

Also, kindly attach a link to this thread as well.

Thank you in advance!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Greg L

Thanks Anastasiia, done.

I am experiencing the same issue working with Sony ARW files.  I understand NEO displays the embedded JPG in the preview... but it applies the EDITS to the JPG in the previews and I end up with a very overly saturated preview thumbnail.

Is there a work-around for this?    

Elena O'Brien

Hi there,

Please note that Luminar Neo does not apply any edits to your image by itself, it's a JPEG with automatic adjustments applied by the camera.

Regrettably, there's no work-around for this, I am afraid.

Please sign in to leave a comment.