Luminar Neo great features but slow even on a powerful machine

Answered

Comments

6 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi Walter,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing.

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

Nevertheless, we are constantly improving the speed of the app to provide our artists with the best quality. In fact, it's one of our top priorities at the moment.

Could you please let us know the following:

1. How many images are there in your Library?

2. Where are they located (on an internal or external drive)?

Comment actions Permalink
    Walter Ruckdeschel

Hi at the moment really many pictures (all jpeg ca. 10GB each): 103.348 altogether, the folder I'm working on 50-500.

Pictures stored on external HD (very fast SSD connected via USB 3.0).

Walter 

Elena O'Brien

Hi Walter Ruckdeschel,

We recommend keeping 10,000 or less images in your Catalog at the same time for better performance. We do not recommend uploading more than 10,000 images on one Catalog, so if needed, you can divide the Catalogs, if that's possible. 

Also, we recommend keeping your images on your internal drive.

Does it get better if you create a new Catalog as Luminar Neo > File> Catalog > New?

Don't worry, you will be able to open your old Catalog as Luminar Neo > Catalog > Open at all times.

Hi Elena,

I had already written it several times. Instead of forcing the user to limit the catalog, you should extend the functionality of a catalog so that it is no longer limited to 10,000 images or less. Switching between catalogs is not intuitive. A photographer always stores his images in different folders. You don't need different catalogs for this purpose.

Hi Walter,

the Mac Studio was unfortunately from the beginning worse positioned than a MacBook with M1 Max or M1 Pro. Many tests have shown that sometimes not even Apple's own software can get the "more" out of a Mac Studio. Sometimes working was even significantly slower than with a MacBook with M1 Max. So I would not completely rule out a certain incompatibility of the Mac Studio.

Walter Ruckdeschel

Hi Elena,

with a smaller catalog <10.000 pics much better and faster! One thing only left: It is not possible to exclude folders after including them in a catalog, only option to delete them (moving into system trash). It would be great to have the option to exclude folders in any catalog easily...

Walter

Agatha Winter

Hi Walter Ruckdeschel,

I'm glad to hear that Luminar works faster for you! As for your remark regarding excluding folders from catalog without moving them to the system trash, it's possible.

Simply right-click on the folder you'd like to exclude and choose Remove from catalog. The images will not be deleted from the hard drive.

Please sign in to leave a comment.