Porting Luminar AI Edits to Luminar

Answered

Comments

11 comments

At the current time, a new catalog must be created when switching to NEO. This is not compatible with the one from AI. All your edits will be lost.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ray Philson

If that’s the case then why would anyone upgrade if they have invested in the product? Shocking

Elena O'Brien

Hi Ray Philson,

The migration tool will be introduced sooner than you think :)

Ray Philson

Should have been introduced years ago with Luminar AI. Not releasing it with Neo on launch day would have impacted sales to be honest

Hi Ray,

Why buy NEO, to pick up on your question from above.
    Well, NEO is superior to AI in pretty much all respects. It simply can do more and continues to be developed. AI is fully developed, there is nothing more to come. Except maybe a performance update or something like that.

I strongly recommend to save developed RAW in a target format, e.g. 16 bit TIFF. If the catalog breaks, the settings are also gone. I have also had several times with the top dog Adobe.

I have to smile about the migration tool. That was already expected with longer...Luminar 3...4...AI...and with NEO still not there. But the hope dies last. Only it will be so that by changes of the engine of NEO and changes of the tools in itself the results in NEO can look differently than before in AI.

Ray Philson

They said the same with AI and Neo is the next product in a journey from stand-alone to a subscription model. I don’t see a lot of difference between AI and Neo to be honest apart from the ability to charge for stuff that came free in AI. I may be surprised but without the migration tool I will stick with AI

Yes, Skylum had to learn first...basically just like other software vendors. But they are learning. And NEO is indeed the new Luminar, which was developed further, which was not possible due to the program structure of AI and its predecessors.

There are quite a few differences between AI and NEO. Not only the substructure, the engine, was redesigned from the ground up, but there are numerous new functions that do not exist in AI. And the extensions add more functions that make NEO a certain all-rounder.

In the subscription model, all of this is included and you just pay an amount per year. This is not different from Photoshop, DXO and others. Of course, you can also opt for a one-time purchase, but then it will be expensive if you buy everything separately.

In the end, everyone has to see for themselves what they do. I do not regret the purchase of NEO, even if some things did not run at the beginning. In the meantime, it runs quite well and is getting better and better. There is still a lot to do, but hey, the other software manufacturers have also taken a few years.

Ray Philson

I appreciate what you are saying but as being in software myself any time I hear ‘from the ground up’ , I know it’s been through tactical agile delivery after a strategic attempt. Sounds like a buzzword phrase marketing like to use without knowing anything about how it was built.

I bought Luminar 4 as standalone then AI as it
    did even more and lost the Will after I couldn’t port stuff. If they build a catalog upgrade from AI to Neo I may buy Neo standalone which equates to an old Lightroom classic model which I would have got if it had not gone down the subscription model as the catalog function is superior and at least it will remember edits when it gets updated

I await a catalog upgrade 😊

Hi Ray, thanks for your feedback. The NEO engine has indeed been redesigned. It has nothing to do with advertising. If you compare AI and NEO in features (there were videos on YouTube about this as well) it becomes clear, NEO works a bit differently than AI.

But anyway...here comes what you were looking for....

Much ado about nothing...this time at least: The migration tool is available since today. It can be used to migrate the AI catalog to Neo. It should also be possible to migrate templates. Elena was right.

Ray Philson

Ok... then I stand corrected. Is the Migration Tool built into Neo 1.4.1 or is it a standalone tool?

Can you point me at a webpage that tells me what it does please?

Thanks

I only see the tool in my Skylum account under "My Software", right at the top. This should then also be displayed for you.
    The tool is not integrated in Luminar, but stand alone. You must have AI installed, then you can migrate the AI catalog and AI templates to Neo.

Please sign in to leave a comment.