Luminar neo slow

Answered

Comments

7 comments

Hi Paul,

My thoughts on your problem. They are based on using Luminar AI and NEO with an Apple silicon Mac.
    16 GB RAM is too little for Luminar. Even processing a single image with multiple filters leads to swap. This inevitably slows down the processing. More RAM (at least 32 GB) would be better. Unfortunately, Skylum makes the wrong minimum requirements here, in my view.
    NEO actually runs faster than AI, which has to do with the RAW engine. With complex retouching, this is especially noticeable on Intel Mac's. On Apple silicon Mac's you notice the limitations less quickly.
    Skylum has promised to improve the performance of NEO. And indeed NEO already runs better than at the beginning. But as long as Skylum doesn't use the GPU and Neural Engine, the performance will be loaded on the CPU alone and it just can't render as fast as a GPU. But I think that the implementation of the GPU/Neural Engine will come in NEO, just not necessarily tomorrow. The competition has also needed decades to implement this and it is not even fully implemented in the programs today.

Comment actions Permalink
    Tania Taylor

Hi L Paul Mann!

Indeed, our software relies mainly on CPU and RAM. We already use GPU for some features, but not as extensively as we'd love to. Yet we do plan to optimize memory usage and improve GPU support over time. 

At the same time, we need to investigate your particular case, so we'll appreciate it if you get back to us at skylum.com/support.

Hello,

Rob (Netherlands) and new on this community.

Let's start with mentioning that I like the features of Luminar very much. Basicly I find it impressive what improvements I can make with my photo's.

I can't compare Luminar Neo with other post processing software, but I have "hanging / self closing" issues using Neo all the time.
    Now using it about a month it got even worse.

For example using AI Masking whatever tool I use, it will never do the job, the program closes itself.
    When using Develop tool PORTRAIT
    I am not able to use the (first) 4 steps, they remain grey ? [Bokeh; Face; Skin; Body].

Am I doing something wrong?

Today I ordered 32 Gb RAM, I already assumed that 8 gig isn't enough.

Have older Laptop W10, Intel I7-5500U @ 2.40Ghz

Physical memory 8Gb (until now).

Hope RAM upgrade will improve and solve my problems with using NEO and restarting the program over and over again!

But reading this recent threat about NEO and fact that it is slow compared with other software, doesn't make me happy at all.

So I hope dearly that eventually, preferably in short time, the Skylum technicians will be able to fix this matter.
    I have already renamed user/..../pictures etc. and completely re-installed NEO on other drive, but this doesn't help a bit.

Sincerely,

Rob

Hi Rob,

every new program is usually an extension of the old version. From version to version the system resources are used more. This means that you also have to adapt your system to the new requirements.
    With regard to your hardware, it unfortunately becomes difficult, because NEO requires more computing power than its predecessors. Among other things, this is because NEO is the most complex version of Luminar so far, with the most AI-supported features.
    More RAM is certainly good, but unfortunately this does not replace a slow CPU or GPU. Whereas Luminar still does not use a GPU for rendering the images. This will surely come in the upcoming versions. At this point it must be mentioned that even Adobe needed a decade to understand how useful it is to use the GPU for rendering. And even the British manufacturer Serif did not immediately implement GPU acceleration in Affinity Photo. Here, for example, Windows users had to wait 4 years longer than Mac users.

I use an Apple silicon based Mac and have to say that NEO runs very fast. Many of the problems described here, I do not have. But that is just my experience.

Hello, Thx for quick response.
    I quite understand that a faster laptop (CPU) will make big Improvements.
    But with my laptop, I was able to do loads of enhancments. For example Noise AI is slow, but mostly it worked.
    Masking AI doesn't at all, but discovered this feature only yesterday.

I do not completely understand what is meant with GPU acceleration in this matter.

But upgrading the GPU could help as well, with the restriction, that a faster CPU is also required then.
    In fact I need a faster laptop 😇

I am curious, what effect upgrade to 32Gb will do.

If possible I let it know.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Rob,

Images can be calculated by the CPU or by the GPU. Because a CPU can only work serially, the speed of the image calculation is slow. A GPU can work in parallel, that means it can process many instructions in parallel. Therefore it is much faster in image processing. A faster CPU is not necessarily needed here. This is different in games, where a fast CPU and GPU are necessary. So when the GPU is used to calculate the images (i.e. for rendering), this is called GPU acceleration.

But because Luminar does not use GPU acceleration, the speed limit is set by the CPU.

With an Apple silicon it is in principle possible to use even the neural engine of the chip for computing. The iPhones, for example, do this. This allows AI-supported applications to run even faster, since the neural engine is specially made for this. But this is currently not supported by Luminar either, so we come back to the CPU. So everything depends on the CPU speed.

A large RAM is always useful. The bigger the RAM, the less needs to be swapped to the SSD, which is always slower than RAM.

So you will certainly feel an improvement with your 32GB, but without a fast CPU, you will unfortunately continue to progress quite laboriously.

Patrik Uytterhoeven

even on my M1 Max Studio with 32G Neo is slow to work with sometimes

clone for example takes time before it will work

same going back in the steps when applying presets. before neo does the processing from the steps it can take some time.

Please sign in to leave a comment.