Comments

5 comments

Agatha Winter

Hi Gilles! The majority of Creative Kit apps features have been implemented into Luminar starting from version 4. Tonality refers to the Black & White Tool in Luminar AI/Neo.

Comment actions Permalink

Hi,

I think the answer is not quite correct. Black and White is not the replacement for Tonality??? Tonality could do much more than just Black and White...here is the promotional text excerpt for Tonality:

"Tonality combines the authenticity of analog black and white photography and cutting-edge image processing technologies of the digital age. You get over 100 professional tools and presets to easily create striking black and white photos that stand the test of time."

To create the desired black and white effects with NEO, you need a lot of sliders from NEO, which are certainly not all hidden in the Black and White tool. And templates are not even included in NEO, I have to buy them separately...

To make it short: Tonality was NOT included in NEO. While in the past Tonality could keep up with Silver Efex Pro, today it is beaten by miles by this program of the competition.

Sorry, but it's important not to beat around the bush here. The customer expects an honest answer.

Gilles Frydman

It's pretty clear that Tonality CK was not included in NEO. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question :-)
    Tonality cK was doing very effectively a couple of things that have become an integral part of my portrait workflow. Now I have to figure out how I can reproduce what was done in 5 seconds, either using Silver Effex or another plugin. It doesn't look like NEO can be used to reproduce what Tonality did so well. I am lucky that I have kept a Intel-based MacBook Pro.

Howard Lebowitz

The simple answer is DxO Nik Silver Efex Pro 3 which is currently supported and updated. The latest version is 5.0.5.  Does everything you want in making beautiful black and white images.

Paolo Damiani

I really miss Tonality CK. A lot of functionality was lost in the transition to the Luminar B&W mode. I have similar concerns now over Aurora HDR bring rolled into Luminar.

I would have preferred both these excellent products to reamin as standalone, dedicated applications.

I have an older machine with Tonality still installed but using it is really disruptive to my workflow to use it. I continue to use Aurora HDR as a standalone on my current main workstation and will do so for as long as I can.

For black and white I use either Silver EFX or Luminar, but neither of them are as good as Tonality.

Please sign in to leave a comment.