Luminar AI vs Neo - which runs quicker on Windows 11?

Answered

Comments

4 comments

Anastasiia Moore

Hi!

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

Nevertheless, we are constantly improving the speed of the app to provide our artists with the best quality. In fact, it's one of our top priorities at the moment. 

Could you please clarify if the performance issue appears only with the Crop AI tool? Or does it remain with applying any tool?

Where are the images you're working with located (on an internal or external drive)?

Please try to increase the size of the pagefile:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10

The minimum and maximum size of the Pagefile can be up to 1.5 times and 4 times of the physical memory that your computer has, respectively. For example, if your computer has 16GB of RAM, you can calculate your minimum paging file size with this equation: 16 GB x 1.5, and your maximum paging file size with this one: 16 GB x 4. The totals would be 24 GB (24576 MB) and 64 GB (65536 MB) of RAM respectively.

If it doesn’t help, please get the settings back to the automatic management, please see the screenshot: https://prnt.sc/oQAAMtqloVnS

Comment actions Permalink
    Mark

Thanks for the reply!  As mentioned in the original post the images are all on the local drive so that should be pretty quick access times.

The link provided was to Windows 10 but since I have Windows 11 I followed these...

Since both articles mention "available memory" I don't think your calculation using the value of 16GB of RAM is correct.  While I have 16GB of physical RAM, what is available is 10GB.

And on that subject, it looks like Luminar Neo takes a heck of a lot of memory because if I run it and reload MSInfo32 (System Information) I see...

To confirm: the Crop is what first may me want to reach out for help.  Overall, the software is hanging and lagging.  So, it's not just the Crop function.  I constantly get black thumbnails in the Catalog panel as the image fails to render.  The Crop seems to highlight the issue (perfectly for troubleshooting etc.).  When clicking the Crop function on a previously edited RAW file Task Manger shows Luminar Neo is eating system resources...

I've increased the Pagefile (shown above in the screenshots).  The computer still turned on the fans to max and struggled but not by two minutes.  Screenshot above is with the Pagefile increase in place.

I will continue to test and monitor over the next couple of days but doesn't look like it's made a vast improvement.

Can you confirm if AI has the same issues as Neo at the moment?

Kate Williams

Hi, 

Luminar AI may also have an increased resource consumption. However, such things as the time to apply a default preset and sync adjustments between photos may be less there. We're working on it. 

You can run a trial here: 

https://skylum.com/download/luminar-ai-download 

Mark

Thanks!  I'll finish off the Neo trial and then - hopefully - start an AI one as I would like to test that too.

Luminar AI looks like it would meet most of my needs, but if I go for a subscription purchase of Neo I believe I'll benefit from updates once the performance improvements are released.  I can understand how stressing it is right now for all of the Skylum team so releases are probably delayed - totally understandable.

For an update on the performance issues I was having...having increased the Pagefile I'm happy to report a success day of editing without much lag and very little fan noise.  Thanks for the support!

Please sign in to leave a comment.