Luminar 4 and Luminar AI default photo exposure

Answered

Comments

5 comments

Austin Miller

Hello Alex,

Could you please specify if the images in the Apple Photos have RAW format?

Comment actions Permalink
    Alex Wibowo

Hi Austin,

yes they are.

Austin Miller

Hello Alex,

Please note that Luminar uses a pure RAW converter, showing the image as it was taken by the camera. 

What you see is normal behavior for all RAW files. RAWs contain what's called an embedded JPEG - it's a JPEG with automatic adjustments applied by the camera. Your camera uses it to display a preview, and image viewing software might also show the embedded JPEG. Embedded JPEG is not how your camera shot the photo, it's a beautified version of it.

When you open an image in Luminar, you might see a JPEG preview for a bit while the original RAW is being loaded.

Once the file is rendered, you'll see the image exactly as it was taken by the camera. 

Alex Wibowo

Hi Austin,

Thanks for that explanation. You are right, when the image is loaded, there was a brief moment where the image was shown just like in Apple photos. My questions :

1. Is there a way to make this automatic adjustment by default when the image is loaded ? Because if Apple photos allows us to edit the raw (but beautified) photo, why can’t luminar do that? Even if there is a button that does “auto adjust”, that will significantly help. Imagine having to readjust the exposure ourselves, knowing where and which knobs to turn, every time the image loaded. That’s horrendous ! Especially if the “AI” should know which one to apply already (image is under/ over exposed).

2. I remember in the past that luminar AI and 4 load these “beautified” photo by default . Has any update changed this behaviour ?

Elena O'Brien

Hi Alex Wibowo,

Thank you for your feedback, I can see why you'd like to see the beautified version of the image. However, at this time, I am afraid, it is not possible to choose it.

However, Luminar 4 and AI are color-managed. It means that Luminar interprets which color profile is selected on your OS  and adjusts to it. Therefore, the same thing happened in our previous applications, I am afraid.

However, I will make sure to pass your feedback to our developers!

Please sign in to leave a comment.