realistic minimum requirements for Neo

Answered

Comments

4 comments

Bruce Campbell

This is the response I got from Skylum:

Hi Bruce,

if you scroll all the way down on the hompegae of Luminar Neo, you will see the minimum hardware recommended by Skylum.

To cut a long story short: 8 GB RAM is too little. Skylum recommends at least 16 GB here. And even that is too little in my opinion. Because as soon as you open even one RAW image and edit it, NEO (together with the operating system) already occupies 24-26 GB of RAM!!!! With 8 as well as with 16 GB RAM you would swap permanently. This not only reduces your editing speed, but also shreds your SSD over time due to the constant swap.

My TIP: 32 GB RAM. So far I have not had a single swap. Everything runs fine. But you don't get this RAM size with the MacBook Air, you'd have to go for a Pro model.

By the way, NEO runs faster on an M1 than on any MacPro (which still uses the scary slow Intel processors).

I hope this helps you.

--------------

I will stick with L4 on my old PC laptop which I bought in 2014. It is still bulletproof and has been over many parts of Australia on the back of a motorcycle without an issue.

I was aware that the M1 chip is faster than Intel chips, but bought the iMacPro (with Intel chip) because it had more ports. The M2 chip should rectify this situation.

Comment actions Permalink
    Margaret Bright

Hi Bruce,

I am sorry to hear that Luminar Neo does not run fast enough on your computer. 

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW or TIFF files), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive).

Nevertheless, we are constantly improving the speed of the app to provide our artists with the best quality. In fact, it's one of our top priorities at the moment.

We do hope that you can give our software another chance someday in the future.

scott kramer

I am running and iMac v 10.14.6 with i5 and 8GB of memory (min on the web site).  Just opening is taking 2GB of Ram, everything else combined is only 3GB.  Adding in the 2 for start of luminar that is 5GB in use leaving 3GB to edit.   Just scrolling with no edits blows me over the 8GB in under a 10 pictures.  If I let the cache or whatever luminar is doing catch up for 5 minutes then the memory settles back down to about 2 GB until I start scrolling again.  My largest picture is a 12MB JPG file.  I am in software development and if I said I needed 3+GB to just scroll though 120MB of data I would be fired.  I get that edits may take some time (expect less than 15 second and will need some RAM but an edit on 12MB taking over 3GB is un reasonable).

Please let me know the refund process for the package and the HDR extension.  The application not a useable with your minimum specs.  It is NOT usable at 8GB of Ram.  My catalog ONLY has 217 jpg images ranging in size from 1-12 MB with a disk footprint of only 1.69GB.  I took 1,700 on my trip to iceland that I pre-filtered in apple photos down to the 217 since this app was sooooo slow.  These are the ones I want to be able to edit.  I can scroll, edit forever w/n apple photos.  

Ivan Azure

Hi Scott,

Currently, the software relies mainly on CPU and RAM. The application can use the maximum amount of RAM when one works with the program. But as soon as the user finishes the editing, the RAM consumption drops again. 

Reinstall the program in the following way (make sure to save all necessary results in advance):

• Delete the application with AppCleaner. Download AppCleaner from here: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner 
      Drag Luminar Neo from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminarNeo.
    • Go to Pictures -> Luminar Neo Catalog and rename this folder (if you have created the Catalog in another Location, please navigate there and rename the Catalog folder). You can choose any name you like. 
    • Open Luminar Neo Catalog folder, locate the file Luminar Neo Catalog.luminarneo and change its name too. 
    • Go to Application Support (launch Finder > Go > Go to Folder > paste /Library/Application Support/Skylum Software and delete Luminar Neo folder.
    • Go to Terminal and paste: defaults delete com.skylum.luminarneo, then press Enter
    • After that please install Luminar Neo back from the link below: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminarneo/mac/Mac_Luminar_Neo.dmg

F
    ollow these recommendations:

If the issue persists, we recommend continuing the conversation via support@skylum.com

Please sign in to leave a comment.