Luminar Neo 1.1.0 Update: Welcome Portrait Background Removal

Pinned

Comments

13 comments

Bob Shrader

Thank you for the improvements made in Luminar Neo 1.1.0. I am running the app on an older iMac (5K, 27-Inch, 2017), macOS Monterey, and for my workflow, Portrait Background Removal and the layer upgrades are welcome.

I manage my images, including raw ORF files, in a third-party digital asset manager and launch from there. My major use of Neo is the plugin via ON1 Photo RAW and the German photo editor PhotoLine. I am also starting to use the Neo extension in Apple Photos. It is fantastic there, and I have not yet found any Neo feature that is missing from the Photos extension. Now virtually every one of the photos shot with my iPhone or shared with me gets the Neo treatment.

The only time I open the Neo standalone is with a problem raw file, and I do notice the slow rendering of an existing photo in the library when opening as reported elsewhere.

I'm certain all users of Luminar Neo sincerely appreciate your efforts, occurring under the most stressful of circumstances. Most important -- Be safe out there!

Comment actions Permalink
    Anastasiia Moore

Hi Bob Shrader,
    Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm glad to hear that you enjoy editing using Luminar Neo:)

• But how?!? I've gone thru the interface twice after upgrading from 1.0.6 and see no click to remove the background of a subject. Please explain how to, somewhere. thx!!! 

Roy Blackwell

Load a portrait photo...

• Thx Roy! They sure know how to bury these great features, eh? But I just noticed that this is PEOPLE only, as are other NEO functions. Too bad. I think we need SUBJECT cutouts, no? I guess they just need to add a Masking click? ha. As for AI improvements, I'd vote for PET recog first... I really need all these portrait features for animals and not so much for humans. 

Roy Blackwell

There is a way to capture other objects but depending on the image can require more work. Here is an example I created quickly just to demonstrate.

Roy Blackwell

Same before image but using a relatively new app called Gemstone Photo Editor. Currently, I am testing in trial mode. Note, I believe this editor is only available for Windows.

• Wait, there is a way to do a cutout of anything in NEO? I know Apple just did this for Photos, and it works as well as the example you show in the top After. The bottom After looks like what I come up with in Photoshop, after an AI cutout is made in Apple Photos. But here's the thing, I just want a perfect cutout of my dogs and cats, friends and family, that's it, and preferably in just a few clicks, max. AND I just want to use one app, if possible. It would be nice if that one app was Neo :) 

Ps. Cute pup, r u starting training now? I'm thinking of coming out of retirement and starting a training center for street dogs here in Nepal, where I just go to the street corners to teach mutts basic obedience training in situ. 

Tania Taylor

Hi Phoenix Consulting and Training Worldwide!

Thank you for the feedback! I've added your vote to the objects/animals recognition request submitted to our product team.

Ismail Asif

The new tool is Portrait Background Removal, which does exactly as it sounds – allows users to take the background out of a portrait .

• Ismail Asif ha but portrait means something different to many peoples. To some, it's the rotation of the picture, to others, it's people. To me, it's my dog and cats. Developers have become too human-centric when figuring out what the subject of a scene really is. There is a subject and a background in a shot (usually) and AI should be able to figure that out for us, no?

Agatha Winter

Phoenix Consulting and Training Worldwide,

The Portrait Background Removal tool is specifically designed and trained to recognize humans in photos at the moment. In the future, we may consider creating a Background Removal tool for other subjects. I'll make sure to pass your vote for implementing this feature to our developers.

• Agatha Winter yes i know u will, and I'd bet you would be the first and the best at it. luv ur ai!

Please sign in to leave a comment.