How to Darken the background on a persons Portrait

Answered

Comments

5 comments

Margaret Bright

Hi Garry,

You can use the Vignette tool. It allows you to choose the object you wish to have in focus and adjust the vignette behind it:

Comment actions Permalink
    Garry Gramm

Thank you Margaret.   I will try it later.  If I do not rely further it means that this is what I was looking for.  Will reapply only if not what I want.

thank you once again for your response.

Cheers!

Garry

Gary Bowen

Neo is your friend for this!

Do your basic adjustments first, then use:
    > Relight: increase Brightness Near, decrease Brightness Far, increase Depth
    > followed by Face: add Face Light and adjust Mouth and Eyes
    > I would next try adding Landscape > Dehaze (try between 10 and 15)
    > finish by returning to Develop and reduce Exposure a bit, increase Smart Contrast a bit, decrease Highlights a lot, and decrease Shadows a lot
    > with the final Develop setting, use the Add Mask, click the Erase icon, set a smaller size brush with around Softness of 15 to then erase over your person subject.

Done. Export it.

Garry Gramm

thanks to both of you for your responses.  Sorry I took so long to reply.

I was playing with Neo and the Portrait Bokeh AI feature and that seems to do the trick to  blur the background quite nicely (NEF file) . Mission accomplished with a few mouse clicks and a couple of sliders.

Margaret ... the vignette does not so much blur the entire background as it pulls in the surrounding edges  of the image to give more of a 'looking through a tube' effect, not just the entire background blurred as if using a 100mm F1.4 lens wide open. 

Gary Bowen... not sure you understood my question.  You did a bunch of 'edits' to the face, added some dehazing, did some other stuff and your final step is to remove the person which is what I want preserved with a blurred background.  
    me thinks your reply may be for a different question from someone else? 

but again thanks to both for responding. 

Cheers!
    Garry 

Gary Bowen

Hello Garry -

I think I understand the original question. Try follwoing my suggestion above. The erase function is to erase the change made under the mask - that is, you are applying the effect to everything but then erasing the effect from the subject that you masked. You aren't erasing the subject.

Please sign in to leave a comment.