About Luminar Neo Catalog Size

Answered

Comments

5 comments

Elena Blum

Hi Jean,

The catalog contains all of the information about your files including metadata like ratings and labels as well as any edits you make with the tools.

With the edits you make in Luminar you are not changing the actual files but rather capturing the instructions into a database. When you are ready to share or use the file elsewhere you’ll export the image and apply the edits.

Luminar creates a default catalog when you first launch the application. You can use just this one catalog for all your photos or easily create new catalogs. Catalogs can be located anywhere on your hard drive. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Jean Pastiere

Thanks Elena but you are not answering about my question.

The problem concerns the size of the generated files.

100 MB for one image in average is too much. I think that some optimization should be done to store the edits in files with smaller size.

Bruce Hyre

My catalog is 32 GIGABYTES after editing about 20-30 images.

Do I need to buy a RAID farm to edit a few hundred images? Or will you be releasing yet another photo editing program leaving Neo behind before I can get to that many images?

Jean Pastiere

Unfortunately, rather than improve and correct all these imperfections in the basic software, they spent their time in developing new extensions... money is money...

Darren Kelly

Am on a Mac. As much as I really like some of the RAW editing features of Luminar Neo (and the workflow), I agree the Catalog file size is way out of control. I'm processing 42 megapixel ARW (Sony RAW) photos. I've done experiments on about 20 photos so far and I'm already up to 85GB Catalog size. I had planned to do at lot of RAW processing with this tool; As it stands I can realistically expect to easily exceed 1TB Catalog usage (if I keep the Luminar edits after exporting). Even with Samsung T7 2TB SSD external media drives (which are not cheap), those would get filled up quickly (in addition to the original source media). Larger cheaper (much slower) external drives are not a good option.

Please sign in to leave a comment.