Neo crashing big time

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Howard Lebowitz

macOS 12.3 no issues with crashing.

Comment actions Permalink

Good to hear that no crashes with later macOS versions.

I am using 10,14.6 because this is the last version that will run 32 bit apps and I am still using 32 bit Aperture. Aperture has simple editing but it also has digital asset  management (DAM). Whilst I can find better editors e.g. Luminar Neo, I have found nothing that has the DAM capabilities of Aperture. Can any forum members suggest anything?

Most of the Aperture code is actually 64 bit and converting the remainder would be simple. Why Apple have chosen to dump this program when there is no alternative is a mystery.

Howard Lebowitz

DAM: Try the FREE open source digikam. Very powerful DAM that is not Adobe. 

Alina Skylum

Hi Member,

Please reach us via skylum.com/support so we could help you with this.

Adobe Bridge I did not know about. It seems to be part of the Adobe eco system and wonderful if you are into Adobe apps. But as far as I can tell it would not integrate well with Neo. e.g. Exporting an image from Bridge would export the original not the original with all the edits etc that have been made in Neo and which are stored in the Neo catalogue. Or have I misunderstood?

digikam I did know about and indeed have on my iMac. I was investigating it when I was sidetracked by the  pandemic and health issues sand I forgot about it. I must revisit it. Thank you.

With help of Skylum support I now have a Neo which has not crashed. Thanks guys.

Neo's use of memory is large. It starts just over 2GB and goes up to 11GB during use, falling back to 6 or 7GB when not in use.

Exporting a couple of 25Mp photos took 100 seconds which is very slow.

Do others get this huge use f memory and/or slow exporting?

Elena O'Brien

Hi there,

Please reach out to us at http://skylum.com/support and we'll look into this for you.

Thank you. I did and support helped me.

I also deleted some unwanted files from my hard drive so that about 200GB were free. Previously only about 100GB were free. Since then as reported above it has not crashed.

Allowing more space for swapping which must happen even with 16GB of RAM when Neo creeps up towards 12GB might help other users.

Please sign in to leave a comment.