Neo Edits lost :-(

Answered

Comments

10 comments

Alina Skylum

Hi Jean,

Could you specify if there're triangle marks on your images?

Comment actions Permalink
    Carl Peterson

Jean,

Alina is asking about the triangle marks because that would indicate the image files have been moved and Luminar simply can't find them.  If it turns out that the database file is in some way corrupted, the application keeps backup snapshots that we can use to recover most, if not all of what you've done.

Please post back about whether or not the triangles are showing and based on that Skylum can tell you what to do next.

Carl

Note: I am not an employee of Skylum Software

Carl Peterson

Jean,

I should have mentioned that sidecar files also have a disadvantage.  If you move the image files and not entire folders, the sidecar files can be left behind and disconnected from the images.  A lot of users wouldn't intuitively understand that.  By using a database with pointer to the files and resources, along with the edit history, it makes it easier for users to move individual image files around.  With or without sidecar files, moving the original image files while the application is not running can cause the application to lose its reference to the file (when you move files with the application running, the OS informs it that files have been moved and it can track the change).  Side car files or not, the applications have to keep a list (database) of folders and images that it is supposed be using.

Carl

Note: Not an employee of Skylum Software

Jean Pastiere

Hi Alina, Carl

no there is no triangle and the file has not been moved. It was there in the same place. How do you have access to the backup ?

Concerning the debat sidecar files vs database, I don't agree with the disavantage you mention. I think that all users will easily understand that the edits are stored in a sidecar file to maintain their original pic file unmodified. Concerning the possibility to move the files while using a database, this is partially true because I have noticed that if you move the file while keeping it inside the root folder then it's ok. But if you move it outside the root folder then it's not true that you don't lost the edits.

Furthemore, I use sometimes Adobe Camera Raw with Bridge and there is no database and you can move or rename your files without problem, application being running or not. All you have to take care about is that both files (pic and sidecar file) should have the same name (but of course not the same extension).

Jean Pastiere

PS: by the way I have another question...

I have noticed that Neo store the database in my standard windows pictures folder : C:\Users\<login>\Pictures\Luminar Neo Catalog

Inside this folder I see a huge folder called "CacheDocuments". It's size is more than 14 GB...

I guess it's the thumbnails that are stored there. Is it possible to tell Neo to store this database elsewhere ? Indeed I have a second SSD disk and I think if I can tell Neo to store the Database there, it will be faster.

Carl Peterson

Jean,

You didn't mention if you are using Luminar AI or Luminar Neo.  What I'm going to mention works for both, but you have to substitute AI for Neo if you are using AI.  I'm also going to assume that this was with the default catalog created by the application.  If it's a catalog you created, substitute in the name of your catalog.

Go to your Luminar Neo Catalog folder.  By default, it will be in your Pictures folder.  Inside the folder you find a Luminar Neo Catalog file (it's actually Luminar Neo Catalog.luminarneo).  Rename that file to something like "Luminar Neo Catalog Saved".

Next open the Backups folder that is inside of the Luminar Neo Catalog folder.  The files in this folder are backup copies of your Luminar Neo Catalog.luminarneo database file, but they are named using what appear to be MD5 hash names.  It's best to view them with the Details view so you can see the date each of them was created.  Copy whichever is the newest to the parent Luminar Neo Catalog folder.

Return to the Luminar Neo Catalog folder and rename the just copied file to "Luminar Neo Catalog.luminarneo".

Try starting Luminar Neo and see if it opens the catalog with the images and edits that were present when the backup was made.  If this works, you may have lost some of the work done after the backup was made, but hopefully it will get you most of the way back.

If needs be, you can revert back to the potentially broken database file by removing the version from backup and renaming the 'Save' version back to its original name.

Carl

Again, I'm not an employee of Skylum Software.

Jean Pastiere

Thank you Carl. Unfortunately it seems the backup was made before I started the edits.

Do you know if it's possible to configure Luminar Neo to make it use another folder than the Pictures folder ?

Concerning the mention of AI or Neo, I did in the title of this thread "Neo Edits lost" ;-)

Alina Skylum

Hi Jean Pastiere,

If you want to store your Luminar Catalog in another folder, you can:

- Move your existing Luminar Neo Catalog to a different location and if Luminar loses connection with it just point it to the Catalog file (.luminarneo) via Luminar Neo>File>Catalog>open

- Or create a new Catalog via File>Catalog>New.

Let us know is this helps!

Jean Pastiere

Hi Alina,

Thanks for the tip. It worked. I moved the folder on the SSD drive and when it has finished (more than 15 Gigas) I launched Neo. Neo told me that it didn't find the catalog file and asked me to indicate its new location. What I did.

Now the thumbnails appear much faster.

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Jean,

I'm glad to hear that everything is fine now:)

Please sign in to leave a comment.