Luminar neo = slow + bugs

Answered

Comments

24 comments

Alina Skylum

Hi Andre - I'm sorry to hear about the issues you encountered!

We'd like to check if there is something that can be done to speed up the performance in your particular case. It would help us a lot if you could clarify some additional details: 

1. Where are your photos located? (internal, external drive)
    2. How many images are there in your Library? Please send us the screenshot of your Catalog file structure as in the example: https://prnt.sc/zyooi4
    3. Your hardware configuration:

N.B. The links are clickable and show the screenshots that can guide you, if necessary.

As for the Lens Correction functionality, you can find it in the Develop tool. 

We're bringing Image 3D Transform (tools for perspective corrections) in one of the nearest updates (1.1.0). 

Hope to hear from you soon,

P.S. Our support team usually replies in 24 hours or less, however, it currently takes about 2-3 days to get back to our customers due to a high volume of support requests.

Comment actions Permalink
    Ceri

I can second these comments. I am running Neo on an i5 Intel NUC with an SSD and 64GB of memory under Windows 11.

It really is painfully slow and appears still to be very buggy indeed. Sliders are unresponsive, changes randomly saved or not, the "use colour profile as default for this camera" is simply ignored, etc.

Running on a MacBook Pro (Intel, i7 but only 16GB memory) is considerably smoother.

Please reassure us that these issues are being addressed urgently!

André Hucke

Up to now I have only two folders with about 100 pictures in the catalog. My pictures are saved as usually to a folder on my NAS. Saving the pictures on a local drive, Luminar Neo seems to run smoother. But I have to perform further tests. Time for opening Luminar and time for exporting pictures remaining nearly unchanged.

Kate Williams

Hi Ceri,

Of course, a lot of performance improvements are underway. However, we also need to make sure that we cover as many use cases as possible, which is why we're collecting the info outlined by my colleague above. This data is then filed to our devs. I would be grateful if could submit it via https://skylum.com/support 

Miruview Photography

Hello,

Really Luminar Neo is getting slower and slower  Any idea how to make it fast? even from the catalog tab going to edit tab. the picture is very slow to load. It takes forever! Cannot live with it specially I am editing wedding photos where I need a quick response to all the sliders and buttons. Please help!!!

Miruview Photography

I am using a MacBook Pro intel i7 16GB of RAM and 500 GB of Hard drive.

Tania Taylor

Hi Miruview Photography!

Could you please send us an email at skylum.com/support so that our support team could investigate your case?

J Leenders

I can stronly relate to all problems and comments noted above. This app has potential to be great software BUT only when it's running smoothly. My MacBook from 2017 with an i7 and 8gb of RAM is struggling to load my libraries when they're a bit more full (read about 100+ photos).

I think you guys have enough input at this moment from other users to put these bugs and painfully slow operating errors at the highest priority list!

Ivan Azure

Hi J Leenders!

Try resetting PRAM. The algorithm can help the device to function faster: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063. Reinstall the application in the following way (make sure to save all necessary results in advance):

• Delete the application with AppCleaner. Download AppCleaner from here: http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner 
      Drag Luminar Neo from your Applications folder into the AppCleaner window. When removing Luminar, mark all the files and folders in the list, except for RTW788AXG3.com.skylum.luminarNeo.
    • Go to Pictures -> Luminar Neo Catalog and rename this folder (if you have created the Catalog in another Location, please navigate there and rename the Catalog folder). You can choose any name you like. 
    • Open Luminar Neo Catalog folder, locate the file Luminar Neo Catalog.luminarneo and change its name too. 
    • Go to Application Support (launch Finder > Go > Go to Folder > paste /Library/Application Support/Skylum Software and delete Luminar Neo folder.
    • Go to Terminal and paste: defaults delete com.skylum.luminarneo, then press Enter
    • After that please install Luminar Neo back from the link below: https://downloads.skylum.com/luminarneo/mac/Mac_Luminar_Neo.dmg

If the issue persists, we recommend continuing the troubleshooting session via support@skylum.com

Magic Siew

Hi Skylum,

I have similar problems as mentioned above. My PC spec:

Intel i7-8750H CPU 2.2.Ghz
    32GB Ram
    64-bit Windows 10
    2TB SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

To be precise on my problems:

1. Open or import photo is fine. But, once edited, photo in Catalog load very slow, takes 5 mins or more for the preview. (I usually just keep less than 50 photo in the catalog and edit batch by batch)

2. If I only opened one photo, things seem to be ok, but if there are more photo (Less than 50) in Catalog, the slider quite slow in response. The Before/After button also take some time to response.

3. When export image, again less than 50 photo may take more than 30 mins to export.

Elena O'Brien

Hi Magic Siew,

Please reach out to us at http://skylum.com/support and we'll get that sorted out for you ASAP.

Rahul And

I am on a Surface Book 2 and its insanley slow

Below is the configuration of system 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8650U CPU @ 1.90GHz   2.11 GHz, 16.0 GB Ram,  Nvidia GTX 1060

I concur with all the problems faced by everyone here to the point the software has become unusable for me.

I regret my buying decision. Luminar was great but Neo at this stage, at best, is still a beta software.

WILLIAM LESOURD

Painfully slow with each and every task.
    No Ctrl-Z to Undo… please put the eye icon for preview in the upper bar, not at the bottom of the window. AI was in many ways better than the new App.
    Those are the main issues I encountered with Neo

Katherine Nelson

Hi guys!

We'd be grateful if you reach out to our support team via https://skylum.com/support so we could take a closer look at the issues you have encountered.

Cristian Ungur

Luminar Neo is super slow! I'm on a MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32GB Ram, 2TB SSD. It takes 30 seconds to export a pictures and the software is buggy! 

Tania Taylor

Hi, Cristian Ungur!

Our team is working on memory optimization solutions for macOS, but we would also like to help you improve the app's performance now. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support.

Ricardo Third Reyes

Hi,

Luminar neos's interface is really disappointingly slow, editing only one photo from a catalog of 20 photos, my user presets took 5 mins to load and another 10 mins to apply to the photo. Exporting one photo took forever. I didn't have this issue with Luminar and Luminar AI. MacBook pro 2017 with 8 GB of RAM and SSD drive. Editing one photo is already very disappointing, didn't even try anymore to edit batch mode editing.

Margaret Bright

Hi Ricardo,

Please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support so that our team could take a deeper look at your particular case.

Milo Cho

Just downloaded three days ago, and Neo took more than 1 minute to start.  Then at different points of looking at previews and full sized Sony RAW images, it would take almost 1 minutes or more for each photo!  Clicking a preset, I can see the Luminar Neo logo on the top left showing activity for at least 1 minute until finally the adjustment would show.  Clicking the eyeball icon for preview to click between original and adjusted would oftentimes not work or eventually I'd click and then 2 seconds later, it would change.  Exporting 20 photos is painfully slow.  

I ran the terminal command that was suggested, and I updated the app to the newest version as of a day ago.  App opens but not as slowly as before, but the other adjustments and clicks are only a little bit faster, but not worthy of the M1 processor.

Luminar Neo is not ready for prime time.  I'm considering a refund.  Let me know when it is usable.  I'm going back to Luminar AI.  

MacBookPro M1 with latest MacOS

Helga Rowles

Hi Milo,

I'm sorry to hear about the bad Luminar Neo performance.
    Could you please contact us at http://skylum.com/support ? We'd like to check whether something can be done to improve the performance on your end. We will arrange a refund for you if we cannot do that.

Ian Kelly

I just purchased Luminar neo and installed it on my new M1 Macbook Pro and I am very disappointed. The app is painfully slow and laggy. Luminar 4 and Luminar Ai run well on my computer, but Luminar Neo lags heavily and takes forever to show the adjustments from the sliders. Selecting masks has never been slower as well. How annoying that when I drag my mouse to draw a mask, I have to wait over 10 seconds for the editor to even respond. After editing just 2 photos with this app (the photos are stored on my Mac's internal SSD) my patience has been tested and I'm contemplating getting a refund. I want to love this app with the new features, but the unresponsiveness is driving me crazy.

Elena O'Brien

Hi Ian Kelly,

Could you please contact our support team at http://skylum.com/support ? We will be happy to help you resolve the performance issue you are facing.

Michael Mileos

Hello, I'm also having problems with Luminar Neo.

I had played with a demo version of Luminar AI before and recently decided to buy the Luminar Neo and it's got a few of cool new features, but I've been having some problems with it.

It takes WAY longer to paste adjustments than Luminar AI did, and because of the way it stacks the adjustments, I can't seem to change one thing and see how it affects the photo overall if it's lower in the stack.

On top of that the undo button doesn't seem to undo any changes you just made, which sucks if I didn't take note of where I had something before I changed it.

It also seems to take WAY longer to open a photo at full res for some reason. And to switch between photos. It has frozen a few times and made my laptop fan go crazy.

Are there any work arounds for these things?

I'm using a Macbook Pro M1 with 16gb of Ram
    And I have the photos on my hard drive
    I'm working with raw photos from an A7iii

Thanks!

Elena Blum

Hi Michael,

Please contact our support team https://skylum.com/support and we will do our best to take a closer look at what’s going on right away.

Please sign in to leave a comment.