Catalogs and files

Answered

Comments

17 comments

Hilltops

I was curious as well. It's quite simple, actually, as you should be able to find them in C:\Users\USERNAME\Pictures\Luminar Neo Catalog

Comment actions Permalink
    Richard Latham

Thanks for that.

Can I add any jpg files into the CacheDocuments/resources folder? I'm thinking of skies. Or do they have to be imported within Luminar?

Austin Miller

Hello,

The Luminar catalog is stored in the Pictures folder by default.

Richard,

This folder is a system one. Please do not add any files to it.

You can add custom skies here - Skyᴬᴵ > Sky Selection > select upper menu with skies > Show Custom Skies

Andreas Ehmke

Hi Austin, Neo has a huge cache problem!

I worked for that extra with your sample files and have the impression that every little change to the image, that is when I move and release a slider, is saved. Is that right? As a result, there are dozens of copies of this image in the cache folder, even if they are outdated. Neo definitely needs to delete old cache files (could be determined by date and time). Because this way the hard disk is full very fast, because tens of gigabytes are produced for the garbage and not deleted. I attach you a screenshot and this is only a small part:

I have over 300 of them in a folder; just test it yourself!

When does Neo delete files from the cache?

Tania Taylor

Hi Andreas Ehmke!

Please make sure that you don't have your whole 'Pictures' folder linked to your Windows Photos app: http://prntscr.com/pq6te5

Alternatively, you can move your Catalog to a different place that's not indexed by your Photos app and re-link it to Luminar.

Here's how:

• Make sure Luminar is closed.
    • Go to the Pictures folder (C:\Users\%username%\Pictures). If you specified a custom location for your catalog, search your custom location.
    • Relocate the Luminar Catalog folder.
    • Launch Luminar. It will prompt you either to create a new catalog or choose the existing one. Chose the latter option and navigate to the new location of your Luminar Catalog. 
      Open Luminar Catalog folder > locate .luminar file inside > open it. 

Let us know how it works.

Andreas Ehmke

Hi Tania, thanks for your answer and tip!

Regarding to the Windows FotosApp this helps me but will your suggestion also delete these old, superfluous files and thus free up space on my hard drive again? Just because I cover my eyes and therefore no longer see anything, I'm not gone yet. Do you understand what I mean? I don't see how this solves my/the problem? I have hardly any pictures in the catalog (edited) and already in the cache folder are almost 1 GB of data! This is a huge problem! Not for you?

Andreas Ehmke

I just tried deleting the applied tools step by step but Neo cached even that instead of deleting it. It gets more and more in the cache folder instead of less; crazy! So I reset an image once to "original" state but the cache remains completely intact after that. So I closed Neo, thinking maybe it would at least clean up the cache, but nothing.

Why is that, please?
    When does Neo delete files from the cache?

Katherine Nelson

Hi Andreas,

Indeed, resetting edits doesn't remove files from the Cache folder. Deleting the files from this folder will result in removing the entire editing history.
    In this case, we can recommend you to work with multiple Catalogs and move those you don't currently need to a different drive.

Hilltops

Katherine Nelson Hi Katherine. Based on the above discussion, I have the following request: A button to delete the cache files relating to (a) completed and exported image(s). 

Marlene Duhig

I know this is an old topic, already answered, but I have just discovered it after migrating to a new computer. These files really need to be cleared out and not remain forever. They should be deleted when the catalog is removed from Luminar. At that point, all edits are lost so the cache is of no use.

Erich Panowetz

Please find a solution for this CacheDocuments problem, it's already 64GB for me, all the original photos are 62GB and are on an external hard drive...so I can't use Neo in the future.

Bryan Verska

This cache issue is bad very bad. How hard can it possibly be to fix this? Using multiple catalogs as a work around is ridiculous. Stop filling up peoples data disks! Why has this not been addressed? I have so many complaints about this software I paid a hundred dollars for to rent for one year.

Tania Taylor

Hi Bryan Verska!

I surely understand your frustration and have added your vote to the corresponding discussion with our developers. They will keep on looking for a solution.

Jennifer Kambeck

Hi there, is there a solution on the way? I'm at 90GB of cache cluttered up. Removed several folders from the catalog, but obviously that has no impact to the cache folder. My PC is cluttering up and Neo is getting slower and slower and slower.... Where is that thread you mention to leave a vote?

Kate Williams

Hi Jenny - The thread is in our internal company communication. I've shared your comment there. 

The CacheDocuments folder currently cannot be regulated within the app; however, you can navigate to Luminar Neo > File > Preferences and decrease the size of the Cache and Backup folders. 

Also, a workaround would be to export all the edited files and create a new catalog via File > Catalog > New. The previous catalog can be deleted to free up space. 

tom jolly

What the heck? I just noticed there are literally hundreds of images that have backed up to my Google account as the 'Pictures' folder in monitored. It seems that the "C:\Users\name\Pictures\Luminar Neo Catalog\PreviewCache" is the culprit. From what I gather from this thread is that every time you make an adjustment to an image, without saving it, its automatically saved in this cache folder. One would assume when you close the program this would clear... but it does not. This is not good. What is the workaround to this? 

Anastasiia Moore

Hi tom jolly

You can try the workarounds suggested by Kate above.

Please sign in to leave a comment.