Luminar Neo 1.0.1 - Quite a disappointment - or is much more yet to come next month?

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Stephan Dierlamm
    I wholeheartedly agree!
    Comment actions Permalink
    Austin Miller

Hello SIVAKUMAR,

Thanks for your honest feedback! It's greatly appreciated.

Our developers are aware of the need for advanced layers and will take them into consideration.

The Gradient and Linear mask will be added in the update 1.1.0!

SIVAKUMAR PRS

Hello Austin Miller,

Thank you very much for your quick response and assurance. My mind will be at peace now !

SIVAKUMAR PRS

OMG ! I just found out !  Another 2 important basic tools missing. Clone & Stamp tool and Dodge & Burn tool.

Very sincerely hope these two tools be added in the upcoming updates.

I switched over from Adobe Lightroom & Adobe Photoshop Elements to  Luminar 3 and Affinity Photo. I have been using Luminar 3 since the time it first launched. And that was the time I switched over from Adobe to Luminar & Affinity Photo and changed my workflow to suit these.. Photography is my Passion & Hobby and I don't make any money out of it. So to save money, every month or year, I switched over from Adobe.

If such basic tools which I had mentioned in my earlier post and in today's post and the layers, if they are not provided in the upcoming updates, I will be forced to go back to Lightroom & Adobe Photoshop subscription, even though it is going to set me back on my money every month or every year, if I went for annual subscription, which I would really hate to do, because that would be a lot of money spent for a hobbyist like me. However, I am  not prepared to stay put with a software that is missing out on essential and most used tools, either. Sorry for saying this because I'm  feeling pretty upset on these missing tools.

They already have the codes for all the missing tools or features, from their earlier releases. Why not just include them in Luminar Neo ? 

Once again, very sorry for my ranting. I just let out my feelings. Hoping for the best. Thanking you.

SIVAKUMAR PRS

Hello all,

Hope someone in this forum would help me out on the following:

This is just in case it took a long time for Skylum to provide the updates for the missing tools:

1) Have anyone of you found some work around for the missing tools ?

2) I could use Affinity Photo for the missing tools but it would have to be on a raster file, say, a 16 bit TIFF file. But, it wouldn't be the same as RAW file.

3) If I had to still stick with Luminar AI (I'm sort of managing without layers, using the mask feature), and if I bought the new Sony A7 IV camera, I could wait for Adobe to come up with DNG converter which included Sony A7 IV RAW format, I could convert my Sony A7 IV file to earlier version of DNG, and edit with Luminar AI. But I do not know if DNG edited file would have the same quality in Luminar AI as the original Sony ARW edits.

4) Another work around to use Luminar 4 , Luminar AI and Luminar Neo, all one after the other for the same file, convert my current Sony A7 iii to DNG and edit in Luminar 4 first, then export it as 16 bit Tiff file and then again do further edits in Luminar AI and again export as 16 bit Tiff and once more edit with Luminar Neo for its advanced AI features alone.

5) I am requesting the senior and advanced users in this forum, if this would work out and give me a final high quality image. Has anyone tried this ? I could keep experimenting myself, but if anyone else has successfully done it, it saves my time on experiments and I'd be so very thankful for the person who had already spent time on this.

If I have answered my own queries, please do say so ! That would mean the workflow is already working for someone !

Thanking you all in advance.

Alina Skylum

Hello Sivakumar,

I'm very sorry for the frustrating experience you are having with Luminar Neo due to the lack of mentioned features.

Our team is currently working on a Luminar Neo update, which will include the following features:

• Mask AI — smart AI-based masking that detects specific elements in your image
    • Portrait Background Removal AI — smart AI-based removal of the background behind a portrait without manual masking
    • Histogram
    • Clone & Stamp
    • Dodge & Burn
    • Undo and Redo
    • More Hotkeys
    • More functionality when using Masking (Copy/Paste, Pen Pressure for Radius/Opacity, and Linear/Radial gradient)
    SIVAKUMAR PRS

Hello Alina Skylum

Thank you very much for the quick response . I greatly appreciate it.

Great to know that your team is working on all these. That's a big relief to know ! Shall wait then !

Thanking you once more.

Gerry Lane

Hello SIVAKUMAR PRS.

It was comforting to read ALL of your comments above because, I honestly thought that I was the only one who was disappointed with Luminar Neo.

Apart from missing a lot of features I find the program very sluggish and slow. I have it on my PC (16GB of RAM) and on my iMac (also) 16GB of RAM) and it is so frustrating to work with!

For instance today, I loaded the same photo in Neo on both my PC and Mac and in the develop tab I pushed the Exposure to about 20% and in both machines it just hangs there for about 3 or 4 seconds before it makes the adjustment!!

I have Luminar 4, Luminar AI and Aurora HD (which in my opinion is a great piece of software) and I was SO looking forward to Neo but as it stands right now.....I just don't use it!!

I was happy to read Alina Skylum's update....that is definitely positive news.

I sincerely hope that it gets better otherwise, it will just sit there and not be used!!

Please sign in to leave a comment.