Neo Plugin Won't run in Affinity Photo

Answered

Comments

20 comments

Londinense

It can't be run in the Mac version of On1 Photo Raw either. Both Luminar 4 and AI can (the former via Rosetta on M1 machines)

Comment actions Permalink
    Hilltops

In Affinity Photo, select Preferences/Photoshop Plugins and under 'Pllugin Search Folders', click 'Add' and browse to the folder where Luminar Neo is located and select that folder. Next restart AP.

I'm on Windows, so Mac steps may differ somewhat.

Bob Shrader

@Member That's not the problem, at least on my iMac. I have APh set to see the plugin. When I attempt to run the Luminar Neo plugin, it starts with an indication message superimposed on the image, but it hangs there. This has been a continuing problem that existed in Luminar AI and Luminar 4.

Hilltops

That wasn't clear from your first post. Sorry to hear that this is a long-standing issue, even with the older Skylum apps.

Tania Taylor

Hi!

Please note that Luminar Neo can officially be used as a plug-in or extension for: 

• Lightroom Classic (starting from version 6)

• Photoshop (from version CS5)

• Photos for macOS

• Microsoft Photos for Win.

All other apps are not officially supported, and hence, we don't guarantee their integration with Luminar Neo, I'm afraid.

Bob Shrader

Tania Taylor As someone who has abandoned Lightroom and Photoshop, that makes Luminar Neo problematic for me sometimes. I manage my images in a DAM - Photo Mechanic Plus - thus the library in Neo is superfluous. So, I don't use the standalone. As an extension in Photos for macOS, Neo works well, and as a plug-in it runs well in the German photo editor PhotoLine. 

Michael Sonshine

> and as a plug-in it runs well in the German photo editor PhotoLine. 

It runs well both as a plugin and as an external editor on my Mac when used with PhotoLine, as do both Flex and Luminar 4 on my MacBook Pro. In my mind this is one of the real benefits of PhotoLine - it runs pretty much every plugin that I have tried and it offers the use of apps as external editors as well.

I was disappointed to find out that none of the Skylum apps/plugins will run with Affinity Photo, but for me PhotoLine has largely replaced both Affinity Photo and Photoshop.

Howard Lebowitz

Tania Taylor I second Bob Shrader in requesting that the Neo plugin work with Affinity Photo on macOS. Many of us dropped Adobe products for Skylum and Affinity. It would be nice to have the plug-in work.

In the meantime I hope you, your co-workers and families are safe during the current war.

Michael Spurden

I have just installed Luminar Neo and it is working.  I had Affiniy Photo, which was purchased from the Mac App Store.  For some time I tried to install plugins in Affinity Photo, but was unable to get them to work.  I could install them into Affinity Preferences/Photoshop Plugins and see them there, but they would not work.  I eventually contacted Serif.  Serif have informed me that: The problem with the App Store version is that in order for it to adhere to Apple regulations it needs to be sandboxed which prevents it from "talking" to other applications. This is why plugins don't work, Apple enforce this rule to ensure nothing they distribute via their app store can potentially hack you or steal data etc.  We don't advertise this as its the case for anything bought from this store not just our apps.

So, Serif do not warn App Store customers that their Affinity apps are not fully functional.  Nor does Apple warn App Store customers that their sandbox regulations can result in apps that are not fully functional.  We are just supposed to know.  But we do not know, until for some reason we get to be informed of it.  App store customers do need to be informed if Apple’s sandbox regulations result in an app being less than fully functional.  Indeed, if apps are affected this way, I do not believe they should be sold in the App Store.  Yet they are, and in the App Store I have been sold Affinity apps that are not fully functional, yet they cost the same as fully functional ones in the Serif store.

I have had to purchase Affinity Photo again in order to use plugins.

Caroline Picking

I have the non-appstore version of Affinity Photo, on MacOS but I can't make the plugin work - it just says "Plugin Loading" and hangs. Could you tell me how you installed it/what you did? I'd be profoundly grateful! (It works just fine as a plugin to Affinity on my desktop PC - but not a lot of help when you're away from home using an Apple laptop!

Bob Shrader

I remain in the same situation as Caroline -- Luminar Neo will not run as a plugin in Affinity Photo 1.10.5 from the Serif store on my 2017 iMac desktop. (I can run the Luminar Neo plugin in the German photo editor PhotoLine).

Obviously, solving this problem is not a priority with Skylum or Serif. Very frustrating!

Robert Martheze

I have exactly the same issue! I have Affinity Photo 1.10.5 bought from the Serif store and Neo directly from Skylum. I added Neo V 1.2.1 and Luminar AI to the plugins on Affinity. When I try to run either Neo or AI as a plugin all I get is a dialogue box saying Luminar Neo Plugin started... but the app just hangs!

Ivan Azure

Hi All,

We will pass your comments to the responsible department for consideration.

I would prefer to use Neo as a plugin with Affinity photo also. I have recently replaced my Nik software with Neo because Nik won't run on my new Mac M1. 

Howard Lebowitz

Nik Collection 5 runs fine on my M1 iMac.

Thomas Nick

Any news on how Luminar Neo will work in Affinity Photo? I would be very happy if it could work.

thorium th90

I tested with Affinity Photo 2.0, still not wokring. I wonder why this is such rocket science for Skylum.

Elena Blum

Hi thorium th90,

Please note that Luminar Neo isn't compatible with Affinity Photo. Therefore, as much as we'd love to, we cannot guarantee that Neo works properly in combination with this program. 

Scott Hutchinson

This probably doesn’t help but I can launch Luminar Neo just fine from Capture One Pro but have the same hanging problem trying to launch from Affinity Photo. Kinda points to the problem being with how Serif is handling plugins. ‘Not sure, just another data point.

Richard STAUBER

In my case, Neo opens from Affinity Win Ver 1 but not from version 2. NIK opens from both versions. I'm probably going to return version 2 for a refund, the new features of v2 do not outweigh the convenience of using the Neo plugin.

Please sign in to leave a comment.