Luminar Neo Early Bird version. The most common issues & FAQs

Pinned Featured

Comments

19 comments

peter kennedy

All of the steps to rectify the problem by Alina i have done many many times over same result unable to open Neo it just crashes out hopefully your words that the team is investigating this problem and working on a fix and that the fix is somewhere relayed to all of us with the same problem fingers crossed for a good outcome

Comment actions Permalink
    Kate Williams

Hi Peter, 

Sorry to hear that these didn't help you. Perhaps, the nature of the crash on your end is a bit different? 

Let's check it together with our team at https://skylum.com/support 

The performance is not only slow on Macs but also on Windows, even on high end PCs. This is annoying. And there is also no indication about when processing is finished which is the worst problem of all. Your focus should really be on stability and performance.

I'm expecting this comment will be deleted as all my critical posts are when it comes to performance. 

Kate Williams

Hi Member,

Please note that we're not removing any comments unless they violate our Community Guidelines. 

I can see your other post, and I've replied under it: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4419962085906-Luminar-NEO-1-0-0-still-annoyingly-slow- 

Michael Frenzel

I also had the problem that Luminar Neo would not start. But Alina's advice to also remove the directories for the older Luminar versions (Luminar AI, 4, ...) from the directory c:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\ (copy them to a different location before), has helped! I'm running Luminar Neo now. And after copying back the directories for the older versions of Luminar, those also run as usual. So far so great.

Charles Minton

Will we be able to us layer like in Ai to make mask adjustments to specific areas.

Norm Gilbert

Thank you for the list, very helpful.

It does not include the failure of Single Image Edit in both Neo and in Luminar 4. It appears to load, says "processing" but never actually appears on-screen by replacing the image displayed currently.

And if it did work, is it aware of the state of the image it is replacing? Has that image been exported or saved to the catalog? Or does the new image open in its own tab?

It also does not list the bug that pressing the backspace key while in layers does not delete the layer or go back, it deletes the entire base layer image losing all edits.

It also does not address the bug that allows two layers to be installed under a single layer opacity control.

It also doesn't address the poor human interface design for removing an image in a layer and replacing it with a different image.

It also doesn't address the now hidden and complicated process to delete a layer, using modifier keys instead of a menu as was done in Luminar 4, which works GREAT, including the ability to copy and paste masks between layers.

I just do not understand why Skylum choose to waste design and code cycles to change the user interface for marketing reasons to make the software look "new and different".

I am not an Adobe fan, and dislike the complexity and steep learning curve of their software. Plus, their licensing model is a leasing model, not an owning model. I really like Luminar for the results it delivers and the ease of learning the application.

But the look and feel of Photoshop has remained constant for a decade or longer. From Luminar 4 to Luminar AI to Luminar Neo, the interface changes without any justification or demand from users.

The interface for layers in L4 was excellent, so why do your engineers insist on reinventing the wheel, just for the sake of change, not for any real improvement? The human interface in layers is seriously degraded from L4 and needs to be scrapped and a better interface more like L4 substituted.

Lesson #1 you guys need to learn: If it's not broken, don't "fix" it.

A few more things that should be on the list of features to come:

I was reading somewhere that Luminar Neo will be able to use (import) AI's database so that it can be used in Neo. Is that still planned to be implemented?

Another thing that drives me nuts is that the thumbnails in Neo's catalogue are all blurry. You have to open a picture and only then you can judge the sharpness of the picture. I'm using Windows.

I've already criticized in another comment that there is no clear indication of when a processing step is complete (hour glass). So you never know when its really done. And that is more of an issue when performance is not optimal, which is the case right now.  

Alina Skylum

Hi Norm Gilbert,

Thanks for sharing such detailed feedback. I'll make sure to pass it to our developers and business team.

Member,

The opportunity to migrate Catalogs will be introduced a bit later, with future updates. Please, stay tuned!

As to the blurry thumbnails, could you please let me know:

- How many images are there in your Library?

- Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Hi Alina,

the number of images is not high, roughly 50 for testing. These are mostly RAW images from Olympus (.ORF) and are stored on a local M.2 PCI Express SSD with 1 TB. I have 32 GB of RAM. I realized that only about 50% max is used at any point in time. I have an AMD Ryzen 5800X CPU with 8 cores/16 threads.

When I edit a picture it is loaded and then it takes a few seconds until its completely processed. It seems sharpening the picture is the last step. Then when going back to the catalog the thumbnail is sharp. But only the one I edited.

I have attached a 2 screenshots. 1.jpg shows 2 thumbnails, one RAW and one JPG. Both have not been edited after launching NEO and are blurry. After editing the first thumbnail and going back into the Catalog mode the RAW image is sharp and the 2nd image is still blurry (see 2.jpg). Not sure if can see this with embedded screenshots.

Regards Robert

Danny Garber

Hi Alina,
    I am seeing exactly the same issue as Robert. The images that weren't immediately edited shown blurred, while the last image that was edited shown very sharp. Also, while it's not consistent, I see sometimes a grey box in place of one, not particular image. It happens randomly.

Norm Gilbert

Thank you Alina . . . Good to have one bug punch list pinned so we can all be as they say, on he same page.

I have also submitted other bugs in previous posts in other places here that need to be included in your comprehensive and pinned list.

1) Vignette cannot be sized small enough.

2) Share with Smug Mug is missing. (I use Smug Mug obviously)

3) Relight is also limited in its range. In a photo with a lot of foreground such as leading lines, the foreground relight only goes up a third of the way with the slider pushed all the way right to 100.  I cannot get it to fully relight the foreground.

4) Now confirmed, the Single Image Edit only fails trying to load RAW images. JPEGs and TIFFs work. DNGs don't.

It would help if your engineers can quickly verify these issues and put them on the list as Skylum's commitment to address them in the very near future.

For a 1.0 release that wasn't extensively beta tested, It is actually pretty promising. It isn't crashing, which is a good sign. Still not ready for prime time, but very promising.

Roy Blackwell

Norm Gilbert - I have no issue loading a DNG file as a 'Single Image Edit.' Neo v1.0 9205 on Windows 11.

Norm Gilbert

Ray, I am not a Windoze user. So good to know the problem is confined to Mac.

Londinense

No issue for me loading DNG or ARW files as single edits. 

Mac mini M1 Monterey 16GB

Ivan Azure

Hi Robert and Danny,
    We propose to continue the individual and more intensive conversations via  support@skylum.com so we can assist you more thoroughly and rapidly.

Hi Norm,
    We will pass your comments to the responsible department for consideration. Could you reach our representatives via support@skylum.com to discuss each listed aspect profoundly? It is not excluded that we will need some additional materials from your side. 

Brian Vohnsen

It didn't work for me with the first release (crashed to desktop) but the latest hotfix version runs perfectly! Well done by the team.

Tracy Branson

I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I also had the problem that Luminar Neo would not start. But Alina's advice to also remove the directories for the aged Luminar performances. Another thing that drives me nuts is that the thumbnails in Neo's roster are all vague. You have to open a picture and only also you can judge the sharpness of the picture. I am using Windows. It seems stropping the picture is the last step. Also when going back to the roster the thumbnail is sharp. But only the bone I edited. 

Kate Williams

Hi Tracy, 

Let's check the issue with the previews in your Catalog together with our support team. Please reach out to us at https://skylum.com/support and we'll do our best to resolve this for you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.