A quick review of major issues in Neo

Answered

Comments

16 comments

Tania Taylor

Hi Luca Oppizzi!

Thank you so much for taking your time and sharing this feedback! I have passed your suggestions to our product and tech teams for further consideration.

As for the plugin issue, Luminar Neo can only be used as a plug-in or extension for: 

• Lightroom Classic (starting from version 6)

• Photoshop (from version CS5)

• Photos for macOS

• Microsoft Photos

Comment actions Permalink
    Luca Oppizzi

I get what you say about the plugin. Let me precise my thought:

- At the moment, my edits in Neo under Lightroom are lost, which is clearly a bug.

- In Lightroom, I can either edit with Neo, Luminar 4, Aurora HD (as to Skylum software) or other plugins, notably Topaz Labs software (my prefered are Topaz Denoise AI and Sharpen AI).

If I were to use only Neo as a standalone software, I'd expect to be able to edit from within Neo with Topaz Labs plugins, as I do with Lr. That would made my workflow quite straightforward. Now, in order to achieve that, on one hand the Neo Catalog should be better organized, on the other hand the third parties plugins should be integrated. Until then, Neo can't work as a replacement for Lr. But maybe it's not your goal. This raises the question of what niche you are targeting with the development of this software, which is unclear to me at this point.

Luca Oppizzi

As far as the edits in NEO are concerned, they are not lost when changing filters. In the upper right corner, you can go to changes and see every filter applied. All changes are stored there.

Well, I'd wish it'd be so: In fact, going to Changes is the place where to find edits and still be able to change them. What I describe as a bug, is when all of the edits you did vanish under Changes at once with no reason, just because you apply a preset or move to Catalog. This won't happen all the time, but it happens. It gives the feeling of something quite unstable, unreliable. The same happened twice with the plugin under Lr, and I just stopped using Neo that way. Hopefully all these issues will be fixed soon.

Skylum's CEO clearly said with the advent of Luminar 4 that Skylum no longer pursues this goal and wants to launch completely independent software in which the user does not have to consider which filters to operate to edit the image

I think I don't get that point. A "completely independent software" such as Neo needs not include complex features like Lr. But it has to prove its efficiency by including a workflow that allows to process photos quickly from import to save/export. Lr is a very heavy tool for my hardware, unlike Neo. The promotion of Neo plays on lightness and speed. Without trying to compete with Lr, Neo has the potential to make photo editing way easier, provided that the workflow holds up, which is not the case at the moment. 

Bernd Meyer

Member Well, I had the same experience. When using AI features, they are very often lost, when using 'develop' after using the AI feature. Due to a dirty sensor I had to use the dust removal feature and this has to be done after developing the picture because when develop is repeated, in most cases the dust is back. The same happens with other AI features.

Luca Oppizzi

Good to read I'm not alone with these issues! :)

There's room for improvement then. I've been using Luminar and Aurora HD for a while and I'm very pleased with these tools. I didn't spend much time with Luminar AI, but in retrospect, this could be due to the same usage limitations seen with Neo.

Howard Lebowitz

Member.

I am running V 1.0.0 of Neo.

I was able to replicate the bug LucaO by performing the following steps.

1. Opened a Single Edit image that has powerlines.

2. Applied Enhance tool Accent AI

3. Made some changes in Develop

4. Performed Powerline Erase tool

At this point, the photo was edited to taste and the powerlines were gone.

5. Applied a Preset

At this point the edits contained in steps 1-4 were removed and the powerlines were "restored" 

Now. this may be the way Skylum designed the software, if so, it is not right. The Preset should not delete the Erase tool applied. I understand the Preset will override the edit tools but is should not delete previous edits. It may be I want to revert to the step before applying the Preset.

Kate Williams

Hi guys,

The fact that applying Preset discards previous edits is currently a known behavior. However, of course, I understand how inconvenient it is. The undo/redo functionality that we're bringing back in one of the nearest updates will help to undo the Preset while retaining all the previous edits. 

Moreover, our team has already created a special request for our product team to reconsider the logic and apply the Preset on top of the already existing edits. 

For now, a Preset can be viewed as a starting point, so as a workaround, you can apply the Preset first and then proceed with your own edits / add final touches to the new preset.

As for the external third-party plugins, we clearly understand the popularity of this request and are actively exploring its implementation. Our engine and layers make that support possible, so we'll definitely share an update regarding this functionality in the future. 

Howard Lebowitz

Kate, thanks for the update. The current behavior is counter-intuitive and defeats the entire purpose of Presets.

Many users may attempt a series of edits and then decide to see what the Presets will do. Destroying all the previous work is a big time waster and it is good to see "[y]our team has already created a special request for our product team to reconsider the logic and apply the Preset on top of the already existing edits."

Removing Powerline Erase cannot be an expected result of applying a Preset.

Hope this is fixed by V1.1.0 - If not, you must insert a modal warning to the user that applying the preset will destroy all work.

Luca Oppizzi

I agree about templates in a new layer, but maybe we could go further: When selecting a preset, a new layer should be created automatically. That way we could mask/unmask the layer preset in order to compare it with other edits.

Jeff Snow

I was/am a Luminar 4 user  who pre-purchased NEO, I took the bait. Just returned from a trip with lots of photos and learned that the full version of NEO was  available. I have about 100+ photos but will end up with 3040 keepers  if I am lucky. I haven't discovered a way to add jut the pictures I want to process. NEO has you load the 1000+. If there really is a way to add selective pictures I can't find it.

I have quickly learned that the Topaz Plugins are no longer available.  They are a part of my workflow ..I'm going back to Luminar 4. NEO isn't ready for me yet...

Ed Uthman

I'm using 1.0.1 with MacOS 10.14.6. So far, I have edited three images. For two of them, all the edits simply disappeared. The images in the Catalog view look the same as when originally imported. The "Edits" tab shows no edit history.

Alina Skylum

Hi Ed Uthman,

I'm sorry to hear about this problem. Can you kindly reach us via https://skylum.com/support ? Thus we can collect more information to find the solution for this issue. Thank you

Michael Gordon

I'm having a similar issue to Ed above. Using Neo 1.0.1 with Montery 12.2.1 and have spent a few hours editing about 20 photos. 10 of them have lost all their edits and reverted to the original photo. Super frustrating!

Katherine Nelson

Hi Michael Gordon,

Please also reach our support team via https://skylum.com/support so we could take a closer look at the issue you have encountered.

Todd Mitchell

Sounds like an Alpha product was released as a 1.0 product.

Has this been resolved?

Elena Blum

Hi Todd,

We have issued several updates already. Do you have any issues?

Please sign in to leave a comment.