Neo crashes when opened – this works fine for me! :-)

Answered

Comments

58 comments

• Official comment
    Kate Williams

Hi, 

A quick follow-up. 

We've already launched the update with the hotfix for all Windows users. 

Those who've encountered the issue and still cannot launch the app, please reinstall it (in a simple way, without any extra steps).

How to uninstall the software:

Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uninstall-or-remove-apps-and-programs-in-windows-10-4b55f974-2cc6-2d2b-d092-5905080eaf98

Windows 11: https://www.howtogeek.com/749585/how-to-uninstall-an-application-on-windows-11/

Then, redownload the fresh installer from your Skylum account. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Akos Szalkai

Wow, Andreas, you are the man!  This does indeed solve the crash at the start.  Thanks!

(Now everybody can follow your guide and see how unfinished Luminar Neo still is... :) )

Andreas Ehmke

@Akos, thanks for your answer!

I'm glad it helped you too! But not me, Jesus is the man, as you say. Because he is the man of love and has taught me what love is. I have "only" the light through him; and I also try here to bring some light into the darkness! ;-D

Richard Bobis

I'm interested to try your procedures but some clarification on the steps for us computer iliterate:

1) Catalog: Delete new Neo Catalog

Pretty straight forward instruction

2) Catalog: Move all old Luminar catalogs transitionally

Please elaborate

3) Appdata/Roaming: Delete Neo folder

How do you access Appdata/Roaming

4) Appdata/Roaming: Move all Luminar version folders

Again, how do you access Appdata/Roaming

5) Recycle Bin: Delete data

6) Repair Neo: Click Uninstall Neo and Repair in the popup window

Thanks for your help

Thomas Wojtowicz

Thank you for this! 

Once I moved the older folders it took me to the login screen which immediately told me that the password/account I purchased this under is not valid - even though I'm logged into my skylum account with the same credentials. Figures! :)

So, this thing is still not working, but at least I moved one step further towards experiencing the disappointment of my fellow users :) :) :) 
    -------------------
    UPDATE:  I put the Luminar 4 and Luminar Flex folders back into the Roaming folder and Neo immediately crashed!  

Andreas Ehmke

Hi @Thomas, thanks for your answer! Work this now for you?

Richard Bobis

It worked!!!

I referenced the procedure on another thread from a comment left by a luminar rep (i think her name was Alina).  Her instruction was similar to the one you left except when accessing appdata/roaming she only mentioned to delete the "luminar neo" folder and not to move the other folders to a different location.  So here's what I did:

1) Catalog: Delete new Neo Catalog

Folder and contents (including the catalog) deleted

2) Catalog: Move all old Luminar catalogs transitionally

did not do this step but it still worked for me

3) Appdata/Roaming: Delete Neo folder

typed %appdata% on the "type to seach" line to access appdata/roaming and deleted the Luminar Neo folder

4) Appdata/Roaming: Move all Luminar version folders

Created a folder on desktop and moved all other Luminar Versions to newly created folder

5) Recycle Bin: Delete data

Deleted the recycle bin

6) Repair Neo: Click Uninstall Neo and Repair in the popup window

Performed the repair and Viola... it works!!!  Thanks for your help... let lets see if the application is running ok :-)

Thomas Wojtowicz

Well.... it looks like I'm back to the original crash. 

Once I restored the other folders for Luminar 4 & Flex, Neo started crashing again. 

I'm going to try the steps one more time, but I'm thinking that the presence of the older product folders is confusing Neo (Which would match with the "Error in path" message that is showing in the event viewer). It may be that Neo wants to be the only Skylum application installed at this point. I'll keep testing. 
    --------------------------
    UPDATE: I finally got it working!!! 
    (I should say "I finally made it to the main screen", but I haven't tried doing anything with it. I could be in for another round of crashes, who knows? :) :) :) )

My fastest and easiest 'fix' for this thing was to uninstall Luminar 4 and Flex.  I cleaned out all the folders in 'Roaming' and deleted the catalog folder.  After I did a clean install, Neo immediately started up without running the repair step, and it even accepted my login credentials! (which it had rejected after an earlier install attempt)

I would recommend trying the steps at the beginning of this thread first, and backing up your folders.  I wasn't using the other products so completely removing them was not a problem. 

Andreas Ehmke

@Richard, fine; your welcome! I have the instruction updated!

Andreas Ehmke

@Thomas, i think that too. But i try and try and this works for me! With the older versions back in the image and roaming folder. But copy and paste the folders not new installation!

UPDATE: If that not work for you. Save the older Luminar folders in Image and Roaming (simple copy it) and then delete it. Deinstall all versions of Luminar and try to lunch Neo or install Neo now new – this helped Thomas Wojtowicz!

Raymond Louks

I sure wanted it to work, but alas I did not have any luck. Try to launch program splash screen appears then just disappears. :-(

Andreas Ehmke

@Raymond, i`m sorry! Look at my updated instruction! Works this now for you too?

John Dourish

Why the hell should we have to do all this to get the software we have paid for to work. This should be fixed by Skylum.

Wolfgang Rheindorf

I agree John! Hope someone of them Reader this all and learns, that he is paid (from the custmers) for doing a good job and not to do his/her job!!! The Skylum people needed at least 3months more than announced - sorry, but what did they do during this long period?

andy gray

This is getting really silly...
    Vast majority who purchased are photographers not IT geeks...

Software should be fit for purpose...its not.

I would like full refund.

What is the Skylum process for that?

Tania Taylor

Hi Andreas Ehmke and everyone!

Thank you so much for the information and your effort! I have passed your experience to our tech team for their further consideration.

Tan Li Teck

Thanks for the effect to solve the crashing issue. But this is really ridiculous. From the feedback here, it seems the problem lies with Luminar Neo has problem co-existing with Luminar 4 or Luminar AI in the same computer! And I have both L4 and L AI installed in my computer. Let's see how they are going to solve this problem because I am not ready to delete or stop using L4 or L AI.

Raymond Louks

I have Luminar 4, and AI installed on my Laptop, Dell Latitude 5510 (Windows 11 Pro) and Luminar Neo installed and runs just fine (coexists perfectly with its older Brothers) 

Where I am having an issue is with my Desktop Dell XPS 8950 (Windows 11 Pro) It also has Luminar 4, and AI installed. 

At this time, I am not willing to delete 4 and AI, Skylum/Luminar needs to step up to the plate and make corrections. 

andy gray

So the official advice is to delete programs I use and have purchased (luminar 4 & AI) because the same suppliers new product conflicts...

We have been told by Skylum many times that these products are different and not upgrades....is this still the case then?

Reimburse process please........I want a refund

Hans Huyzer

It worked.

Thanks for sharing

Pablo Esvertit

It's good to see how the users have discovered where the problem comes from, but do we really have to uninstall the previous Luminar programs...? Why? Come on, Skylum has to provide us a solution or refund.

andy gray

Thats exactly my stance Pablo....so Skylum what's your stance?
    Fix or refund?

Daniel Oriabinec

... děkuji všem za tipy a rady, ale nejsem zkušený uživatel, takže některé kroky jsou pro mě problematické ... navíc by se tím SKYLUM neměl zabývat? ... nenašel jsem žádné komentáře k problémům s NEO !!! ... něco jsem zkoušel, ale NEO stále odmítá běžet, zatímco L4 a L AI fungují dobře až na občasné zasekávání ...

Pablo Esvertit

Hi Andy, before ask for the refund I prefer to wait for a while an see how Skylum manage the issue. For a while means 1-2 weeks. It not looks to me a big problem to fix for a developer, but we'll see what happens. As many others I already have sent the error logs to them, so they have the needed info to fix the problem very soon.

Daniel Oriabinec

... programátoři mají asi zamotanou hlavu, ale i tak je ta snaha konečně vidět ... přišel mi email, abych jim poslal nějaká data, nerozumím, ale návod byl srozumitelný i mně, he poslal nějaká data, tak uvidím, jak se bude situace dál vyvíjet.

Dan VanMaarion

Same splash screen and crash. Skylum suggested fix does not work. Dell XPS8940, Win 11 Home. Luminar 4 and AI also installed. Will wait for Skylum to fix the program.

andy gray

ok Pablo, will join you and give Skylum a week to sort......but this is very disappointing.

Tan Li Teck

Hi Pablo, I am 100% ok to wait for the fix to be ready BUT what's not ok is NO official announcement is made from the company that they are aware of the problem and they are doing their best to fix it! Ended up the paying customers have to crack their head trying all the different method to solve the problem themselves, this should be the job of the software developer. 

David cotton

Perhaps I'm being a bit silly but if I pay for an app I expect it to work when I download it. What I don't expect is that I have to go digging around changing data in my computer. When the app should not have been released until it was compatible with windows 11. I have tried all these so called fixes and not one of them works. I still get error message update to windows 10! If I remember correctly didn't we have the same problem with AI?

Andreas Ehmke

Ahoj @Daniel, jaký máš problém s popisem? Mohu vám ještě s něčím pomoci?

Doufám, že to právě dělá můj překladatel ... ;-D

Please sign in to leave a comment.