Neo single edit function not working

Answered

Comments

10 comments

Elena Blum

Hi James,

To load photos into Luminar Neo:

1. If you want to add a single image for editing, click Luminar Neo - File- Edit Single Image.

2. If you click the Add Photos button, you can add a folder with pictures.

Comment actions Permalink
    James Chapman

Thank you. What you suggest is exactly what I’ve been doing, as detailed in my post, This worked in the early release but not now in the full version. I have deleted the early release with upgrade to the full version, and re-installed the full version. The problem remains.

Norm Gilbert

No, there is a bug. Elena is only describing how she thinks it is supposed to work, not how it actually works.

I can no longer drag a .DMG file to Luminar 4 if there is already a photo being edited.

Something in Neo changed a library file that is also used by Luminar 4.

IT IS A BUG. And a big bug at that, as if I cannot load photos, I cannot do any editing.

Londinense

It is working for me.

M1 Mac mini 16GB OS Monterey

James Chapman

Thanks! It's not working for me with NEF raw files. It does work for JPG, after fiddling around. And for PSD files, but not NEF. iMac 16GB OS Catalina 10.15.7

Norm Gilbert

But installing Neo changed something in a shared library, so now L4 won't open images from drag and drop or the open menu.

Kate Williams

Norm Gilbert,  Hi!

Please note that Luminar Neo doesn't share the library with Luminar 4. It has its own catalog and cannot affect the way Luminar 4's catalog operates. 

What OS are you using? Is it Big Sur or Monterey? If so, there's a chance that your Luminar 4 catalog got affected by one of the OS updates. If you create a new catalog via File > Catalog > New and try to add images there, are you able to reproduce the issue? 

Norm Gilbert

Kate . . .you are confusing the visible library and catalog with hidden files in the Mac system library.

Apple System Software hides this system library by default, but this is where all the files that support the software are stored, often in an application support folder or in user preferences.

It is not intended for mere mortals to access or modify, as it is often written in computer binary code or in a format that the slightest change can render the file useless.

Countless programs, when they are deleted from the Mac by sending the application to the trash, leave behind these system files that just take up space, clog the operating system and slow it down even if they are never loaded.

It would not be at all uncommon for Neo and Luminar 4 to share some basic functions in the system libraries, like how both programs load single images. Why rewrite code that is used universally across multiple programs?

For example, Apple provides system libraries for printing, so programmers do not need to write print routines for every application, they just "call" the Apple Printing function.

Because installing Neo, which won't load single images, also broke Load Single Image in Luminar 4. So Load Single Image might be code shared between multiple Luminar Applications. I can work around this in L4 at least by loading an entire folder of images, then choosing one to edit. But Drag and Drop a Single Image or Load from the Edit Single Image menu item does not work, in Neo or in L4. (And maybe not in Luminar AI either, but I don't have AI and don't use it and never will use it)

Removing Share to Smug Mug (temporarily I hope) in Neo also made it stop working in Luminar 4.

Ask your tech staff to give you are crash course on SHARED SYSTEM LIBRARIES. They have nothing to do with the visible library or catalog the user sees and uses.

James Chapman

Norm, your posts are very helpful. I've sorted the bugs now, partly with workarounds, thanks to you. And after working at home with an iMac for 12 years (my work office is a PC), I "discovered" the right-click function on the mac mouse! Cheers. 

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Norm Gilbert,

Please confirm that I understood you correctly, you cannot add a single image not only in Luminar Neo (by clicking Luminar Neo - File- Edit Single Image), but also in Luminar 4 as well? Did the issue appear in Luminar 4 after you installed the last update of Luminar Neo?

If that's so, it is definitely something we need to take a closer look at. Kindly reach out to our support agents at https://skylum.com/support so that we could investigate the issue further. We are looking forward to hearing back from you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.