Luminar as my main choice

Answered

Comments

9 comments

Lenny Verkhovsky

User to user: I totally agree with you.
    I could even stay and pay for new skylum products, agreeing with their business model, but not having backwards compatibility, means that every 2 years i need to through away my favored presets and my edited pictures. 2 years of work and pleasure starts from the beginning every 2 years...its awful.

Comment actions Permalink
    Elena Blum

Hi Peter,

Thanks for being our long-term customer. 

Please note that we offer perpetual licenses, that is, the versions you've purchased can be used for however much time you want.

However, we do ship new products/versions every 12-24 months. These versions are optional for purchase, but they offer new features, new workflows, new benefits. The version you currently own remains functional.

Lenny Verkhovsky

Hi Elena,
    I totally agree with you, but unfortunately there is almost no bug fixes in this software, no backporting fixes. So, we can stay with buggy software "forever" or buy a new one hoping that you fixed old bug without adding new ones. I think if your software would keep backwards campatibility you could keep most of the users. Backwards compatibility for plugins, presets, catalog e.t.c

Elena O'Brien

Hi Lenny Verkhovsky,

We completely understand your point. Indeed, lately, we've been too preoccupied with Luminar Neo as the release is right around the corner, so we haven't been releasing any updates for our other applications. Right now, all our resources go to Luminar Neo, but I'd like to assure you that our developers are doing their best to get the updates for our other apps to you as soon as it will be possible for them to do.

Peter Hellstrand

Elena,

The point I really want to make is that I, and certainly thousands of other customers, once believed that you had a serious roadmap for Luminar. If you did, there wouldn't be any Luminar AI or Luminar Neo. Instead there would have been upgrades on Luminar 4, which of course could be a paid ones. Now we know that there won't be any further upgrades on Luminar 4, which is clearly stated in the link that Lenny provided above and there won't be a Luminar 5.

We (your once loyal customers) are left with a dying software, on which we have spent a considerable time on building catalogues, making presets etc. Same thing will most probably happen to Luminar AI end Neo, when you'll decide within a year or so to launch a new app. It's simply not OK and hence my deep disappointment.

John Robinson

Peter, I started with Creative Kit. I still use Intensity for fun. I tend to use Luminar 3 because it works well. I use Luminar 4 when I have a need. I found that if I waited long enough, Skylum ironed out the bugs in its software. I switched to Creative Kit because Photoshop Elements 13 was a dog's dinner at the time. I felt disappointed by Adobe.

I use Apple Photos to store my photos. It was apparent early on that Luminar's DAM was always be lacking but it does offer something different to Adobe. 

I've tried Adobe Photoshop Elements and Lightroom several times and neither suit my need; Skylum/Apple Photos do. One point in favour of Skylum is that it is a relatively small business which is leading the way. Another is that in the current business environment, road maps are an outdated concept. I prefer businesses who look to the future and seize opportunities when they arise.

Entirely agree with the points you made though! Today I can ride the bucking Skylum horse.

Best wishes.

Ivan Azure

Hi Peter and John,

Please note that we create the new software to offer innovative possibilities. Our team was updating the existing applications, but recently we have been focusing intensively on developing the new product so our users could achieve even better results. The strategy doesn't imply leaving a client - our representatives are always glad to propose favorable options for customers and help with heterogeneous issues. 

Peter Hellstrand

Dear Ivan,

I can appreciate your strategy to offer innovative possibilities to your customers, but so does adobe, DxO and many other companies. The difference is though that while adobe and DxO are doing it with backward compatibility and relatively easy transition between the versions, you are offering new concepts that are, to be fair, quite innovative, but cause too much problems since it brings us back to square one. 

For me personally it means that my enthusiasm I had when I first learned that there will be a Luminar with a DAM that easily could compete with Lightroom, has now been transferred to a disappointment and a feeling that your apps are good as a Photoshop / Lightroom plugin, but not as my main choice editors.

Please sign in to leave a comment.