RAW Files in high res

Answered

Comments

8 comments

Robert Grenader

Three  questions:

1. What is your installed system RAM?
    2. What other applications do you have running w/ Lumiknar?
    3. Are your images on an external or internal HD?

My Nikon D850 files are 48 Mb, and if I edit in Photoshop with additional layers before going to Luminar, that value can be doubled.  I do not see a similar ":stuttering" that you describe. 

And, there would be no point in working with lower res RAW files because it would effect the final image.

Comment actions Permalink
    Elena O'Brien

Hi Terrence Whelan,

Regrettably, if you are working with high resolution images, please, note that high resolution RAW images are non-standard ones. Luminar AI does not fully support high resolution images, so we cannot guarantee the smooth performance of the app. 

We plan to add support for it in the future, but there's no precise ETA on this yet.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best wishes.

Robert Grenader

Elena, how do you define high-resolution images?  While 99% of my workflow with Luminar is as a Lightroom plugin, I have imported Nikon D850 RAW,  files into Luminar and work on them without issue.

Terrence Whelan

Hi Robert,

I have a 250 GB SSD Hard Drive and 16 GB RAM, it should be enough to do the job. I run Luminar alone when I work, no other programs open and do not use Luminar as a plugin. I have the images on an external SSD Hard drive. 

I use a separate Catalpog for each group of photos. For example, now I have 221 Raw Files in my catalog, each about 50 - 60 MB. I am only showing and working on "80 Favorites". 

I would be interested in hearing how large a file can be for Luminar?

Thanks,

Terrence

Robert Grenader

Ok, 16 Gb is not enough system RAM to edit digital images.  With 16, you are constantly swapping to your scratch disk which might explain the stuttering.  32 Gb is the minimum.  My imaging workstation has 64Gb of system RAM.

I am not a fan of editing on external drives, due to the fragility of external devices.  Communicating via an external cable also slows down operations. 

Terrence Whelan

Thank you Robert, That is what I suspect as well. I did order the new Macbook Pro, 1 TB SSD HD and 32 GB RAM. I will get it in a few weeks, hope that solves the problem. 

Jon Bish

Id have to agree@ amount of ram... I run 32gb in both systems as well 1 Octa-core @4300mhz and 1 hexadeca-core @4000mhz workflow is fine....

Ray Lander

I went from 16 GB RAM to a new laptop with 64 GB Ram, and yes, what a difference!!  It runs windows

Ray

Please sign in to leave a comment.