Early Access to Luminar Neo’s new features is available. What is it?

Comments

41 comments

Roy Blackwell

Downloaded, installed, and running on my Windows 11 laptop. Initial impression after about an hour of use: 1) loads faster than Luminar AI, 2) erase function is noticeably faster, and 3) Crop AI is not missing on the Windows version.

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

One sample of powerline removal:

Donald Startzell
    another example of powerline removal - before / after

Helena Carter

Hi! Thanks for sharing the results.

Roy Blackwell,

Could you please send us the file so we could pass it to our technical department?

Here's how you can send us the file.

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I hope you're enjoying the opportunity to try out Luminar Neo early access version.

By the way, Donald Startzell, where has this photo been taken? The view is breathtaking.

Nadarajah Thirugnanasothy

I am impressed with dust removal . But Neo treats Sun  also as  a dust spot!

Helena Carter

Roy Blackwell

As to the CropAI, indeed, it should be present in Luminar Neo, we're sorry for the miscommunication, we've just fixed this in the blog posts.

Nadarajah Thirugnanasothy,

May I please ask you to send us this image the same way I've just asked Roy to send in my previous response? Thanks in advance!

anthony hadaway

my first impressions of Luminar Neo 

bit of background I'm using Luminar 4  on m1 Mac as Luminar ai was pretty useless as I could not use plugins like topaz and found edit sidebar really cluttered all of the functions work ok just seemed to take a step back rather than forward nothing in Neo has changed from the ai and actually had hope it would maybe consider edit sidebar declutter to l4 tabs as great system open when you need I think the other problem of not being able to go between images in full screen is addressed in the above explanation of what's missing. overall it has the potential to be one of the best as it seems to run smooth and has great features please look into plugins as it will deter a lot of users including myself 

Wil IJpelaar

I've also tried Neo and the edit sliders automatically go back to the defolt position and if I've done another edit it can't edit anymore and the dot that was visible in Luminar AI isn't there either so can't see what I have edit.
    Exporting to mail does not work and exporting 1 photo to a folder is very slow so I will not try multiple photos.
    For me it's a big disappointment but hopefully they fix the issues soon.

Roy Blackwell

Wil IJpelaar, if you open the Edits panel, you will see all your edits. I believe it is possible to stack multiple edits of the same type, which is why when you make some other edit and come back to the same type edit, the sliders are reset. To make changes to the original edit, open the Edit panel and select it. This is how I think Neo works. Think of Edits as History of Edits.

Update: Watch this video for useful information
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zY-UIyEpVM&t=638s

Roy Blackwell

My Luminar Neo Test Version creation:

Bengt Håkansson

Londinense

Initial impressions

1. Dust spot removal. Works quite well. I tried it on a couple of images with severe damage. Against a blue sky, the spots were almost entirely removed. Zooming in revealed slight traces. Less successful with a darker spot against a darker background

2. Powerline removal. More hit and miss. Worked quite well with one image, requiring tidying up in just two places. Much less successful where there are many lines of varying widths against both sky and buildings. Would require a LOT of tidying.

3. I will be using Neo as a PS plugin with On1 PhotoRaw 2022. So look forward to seeing how that pans out. At present the Send to.. function doesn't work too well. The image has to be exported after editing, and I don't think that's how it works with other photo apps I use.

Helena Carter

Bengt Håkansson, Londinense,

Could you please send us the file so we could pass it to our technical department?

Here's how you can send us the file.

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

Carl Lum

Hi. I just installed the early access Neo and was eager to try the Powerline Removal feature. Sad to say that the first three images I tried, it didn't do anything! Two were more difficult, as they were taken with a long lens and the powerlines were defocused. But the one with the birds had obvious powerlines criss-crossing the entire image. For all three, Neo chugged away and then declared powerlines removed, but nothing was done. Here are my original images.

Austin Miller

Hello Carl and Londinense,

We have passed your images to our tech department so they can improve the Powerlines Removal tool!

Charles Usher

Installed Neo on my iMac running Monterey 12.2.  Loaded and appeared to be working fine.  All of a sudden it starts loading and quits.  Reinstalled it.  Starts to load and quits.

Mike Hardisty

Just seen the unofficial video by Rich Harrington. In the MAC version of Neo there is a button to provide feedback, which I'm led to believe asks you to fill in a survey which is being monitored by the SKYLUM team. That button is not available in the Windows version and if you go into the Menu and choose provide feedback you are directed to the SKYLUM support page where there is no ption to provide feedback.

Any suggestions how Windows users are supposed to provide feedback

Angela Andrieux

Hi Mike,

You can provide feedback using the contact form at www.skylum.com/support or email us directly at support@skylum.com. Thanks for helping make Luminar Neo better!

John Tice

I've got a suggestion: refund the money I wasted on the "super-duper" AI and apply it Neo. If not, refund my money and deactivate the license. I'm tired of being hyped every few weeks/months to buy yet another "ultimate" version of Skylum.  I've purchased every piece (multiple seats) of Skylum software since Luminar 2018 and most of it is unused/uninstalled. Time to get off of this unreal merry-go-round.

Anastasiia Moore

Hi John!

We do release paid upgrades or new applications once a year or two, and we usually ship free updates for our software for 12-24 months. Luminar Neo is an optional purchase. If you are happy with Luminar AI, please know that it isn't going anywhere and is still fully supported.

Both applications will be available on the market so that you can choose the software according to your preferred workflow and the desired outcome.

I can see that you've already preordered Luminar Neo. I am pleased to invite you to try the Early Acces version of Luminar Neo. You can download and activate it from your Skylum account:

https://skylum.com/account/my-software 

Let me kindly note that the Luminar Neo Early Access is not a full app yet; it's just a possibility for you to start testing some new tools.

Jim Evans

EDIT: Helga sent me a link to a different installer, and it worked like a charm!

I'm looking forward to giving Early Access a test-drive, but thus far I've been unable to complete the installation. The installation begins, and the progress bar marches along, but once it reaches 100% the installation stops and the splash screen stays at Installing:100%. I've let it sit for a half-hour or so, but nothing happens. The splash screen isn't frozen - Cancel still works. So far I've attempted to install three times, all with the same end result.

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
    iMac, 27-inch, 2019
    3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    32 GB DDR4
    Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

I don't have the option of upgrading the OS. No CC applications were active.  Suggestions?

Vicente González Martínez

Mis primeras impresiones con Luminar Neo

Nuevo motor  Editar

Los controles parece que funcionan con mas suavidad y se consiguen ajustes más rápidos y precisos.

La herramienta recortar, a veces, produce movimientos inesperados.

Los ajustes de color selectivos HSL se verían potenciados si dispusiera de una pipeta de selección sobre la imagen.

Con archivos RAW, creo que la corrección óptica automática estaría mejor situada como previa a “recortar” e incluso con las tres opciones preseleccionadas. 

En ocasiones algunos ajustes editados, vuelven a “0” al reajustar anteriores, pero sin que afecte a la imagen.

Reiluminación AI

Los conceptos “cerca” “lejos”  están necesitados de una ayuda, como una máscara o una barra de orientación.

Eliminación del polvo

Resulta eficaz y el borrador parece haber sido mejorado.

Eliminación de cables

Sobre cielos, incluso nublados, funciona con corrección y apenas deja “artefactos”.

Sobre otros fondos, o no los detecta, o precisa un borrado manual detallado.

La exportación con mi equipo  (OS Version: Versión 12.2  Device Model: iMac18,2 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz Logical processors count: 8 RAM: 16 Gb Videos: Radeon Pro 560;Intel HD Graphics KBL All resolution: 2048x1152) sigue resultando muy lenta.

Jim Evans

First impressions of powerline remover: Wow! Here's before and after, with a bit of relighting as well.

Jim Evans

Once I swap out the sky, it's even better!

Carl Lum

Very odd. I installed Neo the other week, did some tests and then reported my findings here in this comment thread. Just now, I tried to start Neo again and was greeted by this error:

Exception Processing Message 0xc0000005 - Unexpected parameters

So Neo has managed to fubar itself in the meantime! Not very stable I'd say.

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

Kate Williams

Hi Carl,

Sorry to hear this happened.  Indeed, the Early Access version is yet to be fully stable. 

Could you please send us event logs for further investigation of this issue? You can contact us at https://skylum.com/support or directly at support@skylum.com.

1. Reproduce the issue. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your support request.

Carl Lum

Sorry Kate, I can no longer reproduce the issue as I reinstalled Neo and now it starts.

But interesting note: just going to Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Neo did NOT resolve the problem: after I reinstalled, I got the same error! But when I used Revo Uninstaller to do a more thorough reinstall, Neo did work after reinstalling.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Carl,

Thank you very much for the update. We happy to hear that Neo works now.

In case, the problem returns, please, let us know. Appreciate your kind input.

Please sign in to leave a comment.