Luminar AI Crashing - corrupt Catalog?

Answered

Comments

9 comments

Roy Blackwell

User to User - one potential solution: see if you can remove the last photo you were working on from the catalog. If this is the photo causing the crash, this may work to restore your catalog with all your edits.

Comment actions Permalink
    Mike Ching

I’d gladly remove one edit to save the lot - but Luminar AI crashes almost immediately after opening the suspect catalog.  I’ve looked in the catalog with Windows Explorer, but not a clue as to how to surgically remove a specific image’s history.

Austin Miller

Hello Mike,

We are sorry to hear that you have faced this issue.

Could you please provide us with the crash logs so we can investigate the issue?

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your reply to support@skylum.com

Here is the video tutorial on how to collect logshttps://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

@Mike Ching Do you still have this problem?

Because as you wrote:

"...and AI runs again BUT I LOST ALL MY EDITING on thousands of images! To any photographer, this is the cardinal sin of any post processing software."

happened to me to.

I can only STRONGLY support that view!

I can't recommand this product to anyone, who is planning to do continuous work with that program!

Tania Taylor

Hi Member!

We're sorry to hear about your negative experience. Could you please tell us if you tried restoring from backup?

If you're able to load the app, please, try the following steps:

1. Make sure Luminar is closed.
    2. Navigate to where your previous catalog is stored.
    3. Locate the Backups folder in the catalog and open it.
    4. In the Backups folder, select a file that has been created prior to when you encountered the issue with the library and copy the file somewhere where you can easily access it.
    5. Rename the file you just copied by adding the following after the file name (omit quotes): '.luminarai'.
    6. Start Luminar.
    7. Click Luminarᴬᴵ >File > Catalog > Open > point Luminar to the file from Step 5.

Mike Ching

@Member, I’m really sorry this happened to another photographer- I know the feeling of losing your work. Although I’ve pretty much given up on this program and switched to another post-processor, I have on occasion tried to find a work-around so that I might still use the features of Luminar AI that work well.  First, I create small catalogs, even though this is inconvenient for large portfolios. Secondly, I try not to do extensive editing on any one image file. If the “History” tool shows a lot of adjustments, I will create a duplicate raw file, named appropriately, and edit that. And I’ll be the first to say these work-arounds are a pain.

@Mike Ching

I will not use this program anymore to do anything more than one set of adjustments on a picture at a time.

For me Luminar AI keeps on tripping over it's own feet after a few basic size and aspect transformations. It just crashes.

Nothing fancy, not even applied any AI magic. Not always the same pictures. It just keeps happening during an edit session.

The program doesn't even start then and I need to delete or move the catalog to make it work again.

I completely lost my trust in this application. 

SIGH!

Rob Timmer

Question: when you ignore the last (corrupt) catalog and use a backup (like Tania explained before in the conversation), will the edits in the CachDocuments folder still apply to the correct images?

Q2: when does Luminar 4 or AI create a new backup in the Backup-folder? In other words, which edits will be lost and will I be able to influence this in any way?

Helga Rowles

Hi Rob - yes, the edits should apply to the correct images. However, if you open a backup created before you applied certain edits, they won't appear in your catalog.
    On Windows backup is created every 24 hours the moment you launch the software.

Please sign in to leave a comment.