Luminar using 100% CPU and crashing!

Answered

Comments

17 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi! I am truly sorry to hear about the issue.

Please try increasing the size of the pagefile (virtual memory): https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows-10,36929.html 

If the issue remains, reach our support team:

https://skylum.com/support

Comment actions Permalink
    Roy Blackwell

What are your system specs: ram? cpu? graphics? Hard drive? What is "Nvidia Share" that I see three instances running? The Luminar AI (2) I see running seems to indicate that perhaps a 2nd instance or process of the app is running? 

Hello Roy, 

I got i7-7700 HQ @2.80GHz

16gb of RAM 

1tb Hard disk

GTX 1050ti Graphic card

which I'm hoping should be sufficient to run the software without it crashing.

Hello Anastasia Davis

I had written/complained about it couple of months ago also but nothing has been done about it.

Roy Blackwell

While I doubt it is the issue, your video card is 5 years old. Do you have the latest video drivers? Is your OS up to date? Have you installed Update 5 to Luminar AI? Has your computer been rebooted recently? Are there other apps running in the background that could be turned off (Nvidia Share?). Check your start up apps and see if you can disable some that you don't necessarily need auto starting. I assume you have at least 200GB of free disk space. That seems a lot but you never want to get to close to consuming all your drive space.

All checked. Everything is up to date with no issues. I had closed all the applications and disabled all the unnecessary start up apps. 

Roy Blackwell

The only other thing that comes to my mind is the Catalog. How many photos do you have in it? Perhaps you could try creating a second catalog and switch to it and see if that solves the crashing/memory consumption issue. I believe I have read somewhere that it is better to have several small catalogs than one large one. Also, it seems to me that most crashing issues are related to the catalog and/or a corrupted photo in the catalog.

Yeah even I had read about the Catalog thing yesterday so I even tried that out but still no change keeps on crashing! 
    (Currently I have only one picture in my catalog).

Anastasia Davis

Hi! I can see that you reached our support team in April regarding the crashes. Have you tried the last suggestion that we sent to you? 

Roy Blackwell

Well, I have exhausted my thoughts about your issue. Since it appears your computer is about 4 or 5 years old, perhaps it is time to consider a new machine. My desktop PC is 10 years old and I almost never use it anymore. Time to send it to the land of old computers, except I am so fond of it. I have a Dell laptop that is about 2 or 3 years old but I compromised on the features (cpu and screen) when I purchased it. So recently I purchased another laptop and did not compromise on cpu or screen. I am not sure I will purchase another desktop machine as I prefer the portability of a laptop.

I don't think it't my laptop since its just 2 years old. Everything else works fine on my laptop I use it for Lightroom, Photoshop and also play graphic demanding games on it and I have no complains.It's clearly the Skylum software issue I think the software is not stable and there are a lot of issues with it. They need to work on it and fix them because it's not free we are paying to use it. 
    Thanks Roy for all the help. I hope you have a great day!

Enrique Costa

Hello Roy,
    Make a post search using the filter: 'crash' . Looking at the number of results, I invite you to consider the possibility that something may be going wrong.

Roy Blackwell

Hello Enrique,

Obviously, something is amiss with member's computer and Luminar AI. Since many thousands use Luminar AI on both MacOS and Windows without issue, the question arises about what the source of the issue is. It is an issue that Skylum and 'member' will have to work together find a resolution.

Enrique Costa

Well, then let the Slylum team deal with the issue and decide if it is a problem that affects a single user or all of us. Thank you so much for sharing your opinion with me.

Helena Carter

Hi Enrique Costa,

Please, contact us via skylum.com/support so we could investigate the issue.

J P

I have a Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core 24 thread cpu with 64Gb of 3600Mhz memory with the photo and luminar on a WD Black Sn850 1TB, and i have photos that are like 100Mb that crash Luminar AI after a few seconds with a photo with like 20 edits or so with some masking. GPU is a nvidia 3090 too.... Uses 100% of my cpu and ram

Kate Williams

Hi J P,

Could you please send event logs to our support team at https://skylum.com/support ?

1. Reproduce the issue. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach them to your support request at https://skylum.com/support or directly at support@skylum.com (if it's more convenient)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.