Slow !!!!

Answered

Comments

11 comments

Elena Blum

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing the issues.

It might depend on several factors such as your hardware configuration, Library size, and image format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews).

Could you please let us know the following

• How many images are there in your Library?
    • Are they located on the internal or external drive?

Could you please let us know your hardware configuration?

N.B. The links are clickable and show the screenshots that can guide you, if necessary.

Here is the video tutorial on how to retrieve your system infohttps://www.loom.com/share/97aff7951ee3412daa020f1d88eb36e8     

Comment actions Permalink
    Paul Spratt

Hi Elena,

I only have your samples images at the moment as I find Luminar AI to slow to work with

I have been using on Win 10  and program so slow to load around 45s and when editing program took ages to apply update

I am now on Win 11 as a tester, Luminar is a lot slower on 11 but I guess you have not updated for 11 as yet

I use other photo software and they blow Luminar out of the water

I have enclosed the info you requested and hope we can get to the bottom of this

I have also purchased the new Neo and hope that speed issues are fixed

Thanks for your reply    Cheers Paul 

Austin Miller

Hello!

Could you please try to increase the page file size - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/increase-page-file-size-virtual-memory-windows?

It should improve the performance.

Slow Luminar AI seems to be a common theme.  So I'm going to explain what I encountered and the workabout.  To start, this is my rig in general:  Dell, solid-state-drive 512 gb (400 gb free), 16 gb ram, and i-7 quad-core at 2 ghz.  Not top tier state of the art, but not a shabby system and exceeds their requirements.  Yet, I was experiencing lagging at times over a minute when making edits, exporting taking several minutes.  It was apparent that this would occur when I was well into an edit and had changed several features.

And here's the problem, basic economics and a business wishing to profit.  They load this software with so many options, IT'S THE SELLING POINT.  Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoy the options.  But now you change one feature, and the next, and the next and so forth.  Now the system has to keep all this in memory so that you can switch back and forth in case you change your mind,  For the selling price point and the amount of engineering they've put into this, doing all of this is too much!  They absolutely know this flaw,  I know they know, because they keep responding to all these too slow complaints here.  Always just brushing it off that it could be due to several factors, I'm so sorry, giving some cheesy recommendations, and that they'll look into it more.  What the hay, it's America and there's a sucker born every minute.

Also, the price point, supposedly $79 but they give a break, so now it's $47, again it's a selling point.  I actually got it for $37; in case you didn't know practicallly all software has discount codes, you can find them if you Google for it.  The software offers a lot at this price point, you'd be hard pressed to beat.  But keep in mind if this is what you want and you're not working professional level, then a compromise must take place.

So not professional, wanting lots of options, not wanting to break the bank or over invest in something I'm going to use occassionally.  Here's my compromise.  Work the photo until you're satisfied with it to a point.  If it starts slowing up, export it.  Then restart the session with the new saved photograph.  A new session!  Don't continue editing with the old photo, it'll just bog up more.  And just keep doing that until you're done.  You may have 2-5 photos depending on how eleaborate you're wanting to go with your edit and which features you choose.  Keep in mind, that the issue is running memory.  You load too many photos, well guess what?  You'll get the same slowing. 

Again, options, price point, compromise.  OR GO GET PHOTOSHOP AND QUIT YOUR GRIPING.  Enough of these posted complaints, they will lose sales, they will utlimately find a solution.  But for now choose, compromising here or upgrading to an actually good and pricey software;  champagne tastes on a beer budget, beggers can't be choosers, expensive is cheap and all those other good cliches.

I hereby christen thee (tapping my sword on each of your shoulders), THE ENLIGHTENED ONE. 

Andrew Paget

Hmmm. :-) I see this post as made it as a reply to many of the users expressing their disappointment in this particular version of the software, kind of another templated / stock reply(?). To which some refer to as, rather agitating. 

To address the penultimate paragraph here, including the SHOUTY wording :-), it should be noted that many of us are in fact are already using adobe products, in any case and speaking for myself, I do in fact use their whole Suite. I, for one, did mention this in my post above, maybe that was overlooked (?)

For lots of us, its not about saving money, we don't mind spending money, we have willingly spent money, but, if products we're spending money on, are really not matching up to their purported advertising (for example), then, it is human nature to, as you say in your post, for any of us to get "GRIPING" and we're unlikely to, again as you say in your post, "QUIT", until our issue is resolved.

Speaking only for myself then, as my post clearly states, I actually purchased Luminar Flex (remember that version all that way back?), it was pretty good. Then I purchased Luminar 4...again, pretty good and improvements made on the previous. So, now, imagine my disappointment then at Luminar AI...the same disappointment as many others, and like some of them...I am three versions in. Clearly showing I am not fussed about spending money, up to now have been loyal to the product and up to now, have not been compelled to complain about (any) shortcomings (any) of the versions I have purchased and used.

To conclude and again referring to your closing paragraph. Firstly, making complaints. Without users making complaints, no business can improve their product, so stopping would actually be counterproductive. By accepting and examining "complaints" (user issues and experiences - ?), yes, they will find a solution...and failure to address either of these is in fact, that which will bring about, loss of sales!

Politely then, hopefully, it is the developers of the products that will be enlightened.

same problem. just baught luminar ai, i like the features but every photo takes too long to preview

Ivan Azure

Hi Member,
    In terms of the speed, please contact our team via support@skylum.com and we will try to improve the situation.

Mark Yu

I've been using Luminar AI since release, as well as the original Luminar. What's incredible is even after so many years, the software remains hilariously slow, even on my Ryzen 5950x/RTX 3090 system with 64gb ram and saturated with nvme drives.

I may not expect change previews to be as instantaneous as Lightroom or Photoshop, but even adjusting sliders requires waiting several seconds to be visible in preview, making minute adjustments near impossible to work with. This is the biggest reason why I'm holding off on getting Neo. If the most basic and important functionality of this app (speed) can't be improved or fixed, then there's really no point in adding features. The product can have incredible features, but nobody will want to use them if it takes 10x longer to work than other applications.

Please prioritize speed above all else, as time is money for everyone here.

Anastasiia Moore

Hi Mark!
    I'm sorry to hear that Luminar AI runs slowly on your computer.

Could you please let us know the following:

• How many images are there in your Catalog?
    • Where are they located (on an internal or external drive)?
    • What's the format/size of the files you're working with?
    • How much time does it take to apply an adjustment to an image?
    Mark Yu

Sure, to answer your questions:

- I have catalogs on two different machines, one with files on the local drive and one on an external. The local only has about a dozen images, the external has a few thousand separated into folders.

- They are mixed, some are local and some are external. One machine uses the external, one uses a local drive for working titles.

- 24 and 36MP RAWs, so about 30-50MB files I believe.

- Even loading an image takes time. When zooming in, there's about a 3 second delay from when the image unblurs. When moving sliders, each slider has a 1-3 second delay. Most images in Lightroom have previews applied almost instantly.

Margaret Bright

Hi Mark,

Could you please get in touch with our support team at https://skylum.com/support? They will take a closer look and will help you get this sorted out.

If you could include this information in your initial request, it would be very helpful.

Please sign in to leave a comment.