Basic error handling

Answered

Comments

4 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Håkan,

If, during installation, you've allowed the software to collect analytics (non-personal data), or if you've enabled the checkbox in Luminar AI > File > Analytics, the system can receive an automatic crash report. We only collect information that pertains to the issue: the error code, OS version, app version, and the machine identifier.

However, the thing is that not all crashes can be tracked this way. Say, when the crash doesn't stem from the app itself (like when there's an issue with corrupt GPU drivers or if Windows force-closes the app before the in-app logs are generated). That is why we still need to see the logs generated in Event Viewer. 

Therefore, could you please email us your event logs at support@skylum.com

1. Reproduce the issue. 
    2. Press the Windows logo key + R.
    3. Type eventvwr in the dialog box that opens and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. In the window that opens click the triangle next to Windows Logs on the left. A directory tree should open.
    5. Click Application in the directory tree. 
    6. In the main part of the window find the two topmost entries marked with Error named Application Error and .NET Runtime.
    7. Hold CTRL and click your left mouse button on each entry to select them both.
    8. Right-click on any of the two selected entries and click Save Selected Events.
    9. Name the file, save it, and attach it to your email at support@skylum.com

A video tutorial on how to collect logs: https://www.loom.com/share/d7d8325cb83b4539a0a2dae3ebf286f6 

Also, please click Luminar AI > Help > System info > Save as > and attach the generated .zip file. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment actions Permalink
    Håkan Arvidsson

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the instructions!

It's hard to reproduce the crashes, but I have a feeling, that old monochrome picture tend to produce more crashes. I'll make an effort to produce an crash report....

Kate Williams

Hi Håkan,

Thanks a lot! Please take your time. 

It would be super helpful if you could also describe which editing steps usually precede the crash. If, according to your observations, the app crashes more on some particular image, it may be a good idea to forward it to our techs as well. 

Here's how:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support

All the best,

Håkan Arvidsson

To all users experiencing crash problems with Luminar-AI.

I believe, my problem has just been resolved.

My Windows-10 installation had the virtual memory set up as "automatically managed for all drives". This was the standard setting.

After changing the setting to "Custom size" with minimum = 6000 MB & maximum 20000 MB my test case, where Luminar-AI always crashed, suddenly worked without crashing. I'm rather relieved.

This is how to modify the virtual memory setting:

Go to the windows symbol on the bottom left menu bar
    Enter "Settings"
    Select "Adjust the appearance and performance of windows"
    Select the "Advanced" tab"
    Click on "Virtual memory" + "Change..."
    The dialog below will display:

The check box "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" has to be blanked out for the settings to be enabled.
    Max value for "Maximum size (MB)" is 4 times the physical memory.

I hope this fix works for other users as well!

Cheers
    Håkan

Please sign in to leave a comment.