Using as a Lightroom Plugin fails to Apply Edits

Answered

Comments

5 comments

B Vc

OK it's a path problem, probably length, I decided to check this as  I have had this before with other elements of Luminar products, particular catalog edit loss/corruption.

However, the photos now failing to "Apply" edits and return to Lightroom are in the same folder and with the same length & type of filename as worked in the previous version.

Comment actions Permalink
    B Vc

UPDATE

Not s simple as a long path name. Renamed the old folder and created a new folder with exactly the same name so reproducing exactly the same path as before as far a LAi was concerned. Moved a photo from the old folder that had failed to return applied edits to the new folder and hey presto all plugin edits work. So somewhere LAi would seem to be storing corrupted/incorrect info for the path so fails in the Apply edit function. I have seen a similar/same problem with catalog corruption/lost edits in the past.

Creating a new catalog (although how this may affect plugin functionality I don't know) made no difference, it was just that I thought the corrupted path might be in the catalog database.

Elena Blum

Hi B Vc,

Please make sure to access LuminarAI from Adobe Lightroom in this very way:

• Right-click on the image > Export > Export to LuminarAI > You have an option to Open Source Files or, if you've made any changes in Lightroom that you'd like to transfer over to LuminarAI , you can also choose Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments.

After applying adjustments in LuminarAI your photo should appear in Lightroom's Catalog > All Photographs. 

B Vc

Hi Elena,

Thankyou for response, however this is only a partial workaround and also not a solution to using normal Lightroom plugin functionality.

Your workaround will only work  for RAW files when using Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments and not for RAW files using Open Source File where it just hangs on "Apply", presumably because it doesn't know what format to return the RAW file in after editing, at least it doesn't corrupt the original RAW file. (BTW the Apply button has to be clicked on twice to start the return process, so perhaps another bug). At least (thankfully)  the edited photo is in fact returned to the originating folder and updates the catalog and not returned to a generic folder under "All Photographs".

However:

1. As a Lightroom plugin LAi should work from the "Edit In" functionality of Lightroom and not need to use the Export function

2. I am editing RAW files so only the option to "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" exists when using the "Edit in" plugin function and it is set to TIFF as my default 

3. I have tried with non raw (tiff) files in the problematic folder - the same problem of LAi not applying edits

4. As my UPDATE comment above shows it is a problem with LAi and the folder path - although recreating the exact path works as I noted above

5. Also, the edited photo (when the plugin is working properly) is returned to the originating folder overwriting the exported file (tiff or PSD or jpg) and not to "All Photographs"

It seems to be a bug in Luminar Ai causing the issue in the file/folder path name. The fact that the export to LAi workaround succeeds would seem to confirm this.

Can you provide a solution allowing normal Edit in functionality to work or;

confirm that a bug fix will be implemented or;

confirm that it is not an LAi issue and point to the the non-LAi issue you have identified
    (however I should note my ON1 & Topaz plugins work with the same folder/filename path) 

Kate Williams

Hi B Vc,

The workaround should work for all files regardless of their format. The plugin always sends the image back in the.TIFF format (because it's lossless). Lightroom's Edit in menu will also offer to send the RAW file in the .TIFF format if it's already applied some adjustments. (Kindly mind that LR apply automatic lens correction).

As for the 2 clicks, it's a known issue that will be fixed in one of the following updates. 

As for Edit in + your current image location, would you please check the following?

In Lightroom, right-click your photo and choose Show in Explorer. Do you see a file called TempExif or other files that you don't recognize in the folder that opens? If there's the  TempExif, remove it and check if the issue persists.

If that doesn't help, please contact us at https://skylum.com/support for further investigation. Make sure to include the link to this thread as a reference. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.