About the behavior when selecting all images in the catalog

Answered

Comments

10 comments

Elena Blum

Hello Satoshi Inoue,

Currently, the software relies mostly on CPU and RAM. We use GPU for some features, but not as extensively as we'd love to. In future iterations of our software, we hope to extend the use of high-level APIs for hardware acceleration, including the GPU one. 

Syncing is a global command and takes all of the adjustments from one photo and applies them to one or more selected images. More about the ways you can do it here: https://manual.skylum.com/ai/en/topic/syncing-adjustments?q=Syncing+Adjustments

Comment actions Permalink
    Satoshi Inoue

I have never used the sync adjustment feature.

Am I right in thinking that Luminar does not have the ability to assign the same adjustments at once, except for Syncing adjustments?

Satoshi Inoue

Ah, I've come to terms with reality. I've been running Luminar all day. I just checked Luminar and all the images in my catalog had adjustments pasted into them. Luminar was continuing to process the paste in the background all the time, which seemed to increase the CPU occupancy.

In other words, if the user selects all the images in the catalog by pressing Cmd+A, and then presses Cmd+V, the adjustment will be pasted to all the images. So what is the difference between this "Cmd+V after selecting all" and "Syncing Adjustment"?

Kate Williams

Hi Satoshi,

They essentially do the same thing. 

Copying&Pasting adjustments: you copy edits from one image, navigate to a different one and choose to paste them there. 

Syncing adjustments is for cases when you select one edited photo and a bunch of unedited images and choose to sync adjustments between them. This way, the edits from the edited photo are transferred to the previously unedited ones.

Satoshi Inoue

> Syncing adjustments is for cases

Will the image edited by Adjustment Syncing always have the same settings even if the user doesn't make it selected in the catalog after setting?

> Copying&Pasting adjustments

I want to check on this behavior. I had multiple images (unintentionally) selected in my catalog. I then double-clicked on one image to enter edit mode. I pasted the adjustment with Cmd+V in that state. Then not only that image, but all the selected images in the catalog were adjusted.
    To sum up, I consider it dangerous that when I paste an adjustment in single edit mode, it gets pasted into other images as well. (I don't think it's a problem in catalog view mode.) So I would like to find out if this behavior is normal or a bug.

Elena O'Brien

Hi Satoshi Inoue,

Only selected images will be applied adjustments too. However, you can change the adjustments manually or syncing different adjustments to that same image at any time.

As to copying and pasting adjustments, just to clarify, you had copied adjustments from one image, selected a few images in your Catalog, then clicked one the images from your Catalog, went to an edit mode, pasted adjustments and they appeared on all selected images while in the Edit mode?

Satoshi Inoue

> As to copying and pasting adjustments, just to clarify, you had copied adjustments from one image, selected a few images in your Catalog, then clicked one the images from your Catalog, went to an edit mode, pasted adjustments and they appeared on all selected images while in the Edit mode?

Yes. I had selected more than 400 images. The adjustment was pasted into all 400+ images.
    I think this paste process was the reason why the CPU usage was always close to 2,000% no matter how many times Luminar was restarted.

A warning from Luminar would be very helpful when a user pastes an adjustment while in single image edit mode with several images selected in the catalog.
    Elena O'Brien

Hi Satoshi Inoue,

I cannot reproduce the issue on my end.

We need to be able to reproduce the issue on our end in order to understand at which point it occurs. Please send us a screen recording of what you do in the software before encountering the issue. Here's how to record a screen on Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/quicktime-player/record-your-screen-qtp97b08e666/mac

Here's how you can send us the file:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into your support request at https://skylum.com/support 

Looking forward to hearing back from you. 

Satoshi Inoue

You doubt it, but is it still an unexpected function of batch pasting for multiple images with Cmd+V in single image mode? So what I'm experiencing is a bug?

I don't currently have the time to screen record and provide evidence so I'll leave that for later, but it is unusual that the same adjustment is pasted on at least 500 images. I was not aware of the existence of adjustment synchronization, and of course I did not perform any accidental shortcut operations.

Helena Carter

Satoshi Inoue,

Sure, we'll be looking forward to hearing from you via email once you have an opportunity so we could investigate this issue. Take as much time as you need.

Please sign in to leave a comment.