Long time Skllum/Luminar user - Did Adobe buy a controlling interest in Sklum?

Answered

Comments

5 comments

Lenny Verkhovsky

Hi Daug, I am a long time user of Luminar as well. From Luminar2018 to L3 and L4. I moved to Luminar since Lightroom was too expensive and I thought that 1 time payment for a good software should be enough. Basically I can still use L4, it has all the important features for me, but the most enoying thing is no bug fixes for the old versions. And I see that every new product has its own bugs with keeping old ones. So I   asking myself was it worth it? Should I reconsider going back to lightroom? Lightroom has full backward compatibility for catalogs and plugins, so everything am collecting over the years stays and works

Comment actions Permalink
    Elena O'Brien

Hi,

What differentiates Luminar Neo from all the programs we've created before is its engine. The software boasts an all-new core designed from scratch for faster image processing and seamless integration of all innovations we plan to add. As a result, the image processing pipeline will be significantly renovated under the hood. Because of the updated architecture, it will not be possible to move your catalog directly to Luminar Neo.

Lenny Verkhovsky

Hi Elena, if I recall correctly also Luminar AI was "created from scratch", as an experienced software developer I can tell you that creating a brand new core each version usually means new bugs and breaks backwards compatability. But this will also mean that all the plugins that I collected and all the templates that I created wont work.
    Pitty. I could efford upgrading this product from time to time, but now I see that it will be useless.

Doug Stead

I have in my 80,000+ images representing 50+ years of work.  Does Skylum not understand that what is most important to all photographers,  is 1) integrity of our images files,  and  2) the catalogue index of this body of work? 

This seemingly basic lack of understanding, seems like a harbinger of things to come.  It certainly has greatly reduced my trust in this company. 

As you seem are in the know Elena,  can you confirm that "Neo" cannot import a LrC catalogue, directly or indirectly? 

If so, this abandonment of the Adobe market and possible client base may well drive Skylum's clients back to the gold standard of companies with abysmal client care & treatment.    

Roy Blackwell

Doug Stead: Skylum photo editing software has never been able to import a LrC catalogue and I doubt that Luminar Neo will have this ability. It would be a pleasant surprise if it did but I do not expect it.

Please sign in to leave a comment.