Is Skylum abandoning LuminarAI with the release of Luminar Neo?

Answered

Comments

13 comments

Matt Orth

That’s how the Luminar 4 users felt last year when AI was announced. And the year before that, that’s how the Luminar 3 users felt when L4 came out.

And when Neo comes out, they’ll be too busy developing its replacement that will come out in a year (but will not be compatible with Neo) to fix the bugs in Neo.

It’s their business plan.

Comment actions Permalink

Time to ditch Skylum then.

Skylum, good luck with your business model. You see, I'd be happy to even pay more for your software or even buy the new Neo. But with your lack of support whatsoever, it's not happening. I'll happily pay twice the amount for dxo or even more for capture one, but at least I'll have a product that works plus support that seems to care.

jean-pierre delmur

When I saw the way Skylum managed the release of its software, roughly one a year, all incompatible with each other, full of bugs never solved, slow processing, blocks, despite powerful configurations, I stopped Skylum... Adobe does things SERIOUSLY  in a more complete and finer way and even if it is more difficult to learn at the beginning, it is much more relaxing.

Elena O'Brien

Hi guys,

Appreciate your feedback!

We ship new products every 12-24 month.

We are not abandoning our other apps. Please note that we still support Luminar 4 and it will receive at least one more update.

Also, we do not have plans to stop the support of Luminar AI just yet.

We are currently evolving and coming up with new ideas, we listen to the feedback we get from our amazing customers and, as a result, create something innovative that would be easy, yet convenient and fast to use. We would not be able to put all these updates in our very first Luminar, as they have very different concepts and we can't redo the whole application and think that people would be okay with it. Some people would prefer to still use the software they've grown to love without the new features, and that is fine with us, therefore, we are trying to support our previous applications with updates for as long as possible.

I hope you can understand our vision and support us on our journey.

Matt Orth

We are not abandoning our other apps. Please note that we still support Luminar 4 and it will receive at least one more update.

one more… it still doesn’t support Canon R5 files, a camera released over a year ago.  Will it ever?

Also, we do not have plans to stop the support of Luminar AI just yet.

So AI was released less than a year ago, and the best you can do is not “just yet”?  

Your words are the very definition of abandonware.  2018, Luminar 3, Luminar 4, Luminar AI, Luminar Neo, and the yet unnamed Luminar version that will be announced late summer/early fall 2022 that will not be backwards compatible.

I hope you can understand our vision

Your vision is annual abandonware.  Yes, I understand that.

Ok, but what about the performance issues of LuminarAI described in detail on this forum? I have an AMD Ryzen 3900x, 32gb ram machine and LuminarAI works awfully slow. Will these issues ever be addressed or you'll just leave us with a half-baked product?

Let me get this straight, is your vision releasing unoptimized, awfully slow software that never gets updates addressing performance issues, just some new features and then releasing new software, supposedly faster, expecting existing customers to buy the new one instead of expecting the old one to be fixed?

Matt Orth

Let me get this straight, is your vision releasing unoptimized, awfully slow software that never gets updates addressing performance issues, just some new features and then releasing new software, supposedly faster, expecting existing customers to buy the new one instead of expecting the old one to be fixed?

Congratulations, you’ve just been hired by the Shylum marketing department!

Haha, yea, guess they don't care about professionals, only newbies. Luminar cannot be used for anything else than occasional photo editing. I was really happy with some of the features it offers, but it cannot be efficiently used for anything else than occasional edits. That's a pity. If they fixed the performance issues, id be happy to pay more for a perpetual license as that's what I'm looking for moving away from Adobe, but there are better options out there so screw Skylum. Sorry.

jean-pierre delmur

Skylum n'a aucune idée du long terme, à savoir développer un logiciel fiable, innovant, stable dans le quel on peut avoir confiance. Vous ne faites que des "coups financiers" en publiant des logiciels tous les 12 ou 24 mois comme vous le dites, et lorsque les gogos, (dont je fais partie), se seront fait avoir 2 fois, ça va être dur de résister et d'avoir une image de sérieux. Certes, le monde est grand, et on peut appâter tous les nouveaux arrivants du monde de la photo, mais vous disparaitrez, comme ont disparu tant de logiciels "bricolés". (Raw shooter, Bibble et j'en passe).......

jean-pierre delmur

Skylum has no idea of the long term, namely to develop a reliable, innovative, stable software that can be trusted. You only make "financial moves" by publishing software every 12 or 24 months as you say, and when the gogos, (of which I am one), have been fooled 2 times, it will be hard to resist and have an image of seriousness. Certainly, the world is big, and we can lure all the newcomers to the world of photography, but you will disappear, as so much "DIY" software has disappeared. (Raw shooter, Bibble and so on).......

Alter Graubart

Elena O'Brien

"we listen to the feedback we get from our amazing customers"

Maybe you listen, but you take care a sh... otherwise Aurora HDR would support RAW formats being on the market since several years now
    And reading Skylum's answers here in the forum, they sound like coming from a bot.

Please sign in to leave a comment.