Migration from Luminar 4 to Luminar Neo

Answered

Comments

16 comments

• Official comment
    Helga Rowles

I've got some great news.

We've got your feedback requesting the migration of the catalog from previous Luminar versions to Luminar Neo. And there is some news we'd like to share. Long story short, the migration of the catalog will be available in future updates of Luminar Neo! And here's why.

What differentiates Luminar Neo from all the programs the Skylum Team has created before is its engine. The software boasts an all-new core designed from scratch for faster image processing and seamless integration of all innovations we plan to add. As a result, the image processing pipeline will be significantly renovated under the hood.

Since we care about your comfortable experience with all Skylum legacy products, we will add the feature of migration of the catalog from previous Luminar 4 and Luminar AI versions to Luminar Neo, but not upon release. Because of the updated architecture, it will take some time for the engineers to make the migration process possible. We’ve added it to the roadmap and it will be available in future updates of Luminar Neo.

Thank you for your patience, and we hope you will love using Luminar Neo! 

Comment actions Permalink
    Agatha Winter

Hi Tony - Please note that Luminar Neo is created with a new engine. As a result, the image processing pipeline will be significantly renovated under the hood. Because of the updated architecture, it will not be possible to move your catalog directly to Luminar Neo. Hope for your understanding. 

We'll share more info about Luminar Neo in the upcoming weeks. Meanwhile, I invite you to check our FAQ: https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/neo/general 

Tony Cristiano

Are you saying that Skylum will not produce a migration tool to move all my Luminar 4 photos/edits to the Luminar Neo engine. What do you want me to do with my edited photos in the Luminar 4 library/catalog? Should I just stay with Luminar 4 and forget about moving forward with Skylum software advances?

As a software engineer, I know it is possible for Skylum to build a migration tool to transform photo edits to the new Neo architecture. It should be included in the Neo release otherwise Skylum is abandoning their current clients. How many hours of photo editing work do you want me to discard to move to Neo?

Clearly Skylum is not updating Luminar 4 to have the latest AI features.

Have I made a big mistake ordering the Neo software?

Should I, as a disappointed Skylum client, ask for my money back and start warning others not fall into this marketing trap?

Please advise.

Austin Miller

Hello Tony,

You can export the edited images from Luminar 4 and then reimport them into Luminar Neo.

Because of the new architecture, migration from Luminar 4 is not possible, unfortunately.

Tony Cristiano

Hello Austin,

Your answer is the definition of a migration tool.

The new architecture does not mean migration is not possible, it means that Skylum need to provide a migration utility. 

I have 2300 RAW files in the library. 500 have been edited. Are you seriously suggesting that I manually transfer 500 edits?

Darryl Brooks

This is exactly what they did from Luminar 2018 to Luminar 3, from L3 to L4, from L4 to AI and now from AI, to Neo. "This is not an upgrade, it's a new product, blah blah blah." Never mind that Adobe, ON1, Capture On1, DxO and every other developer manages to do it. 

But people still line up to buy each version and deal with it. 

Robert Kronberg

Oh, I'm so glad I read this thread. This reminded me in the nick of time why I swore I would never buy a Skylum product again. I had Luminar 3, but refused to upgrade since Luminar 3 felt like they never finished it. I followed the forum for a while and discovered that people complained about the same issues in Luminar 4. One of my biggest concern was migrating the libraries from different versions and the constant crashing. Now, I almost preordered the Neo, but the site didn't manage to validate me as an old customer either with my e-mail or with my software code from Luminar 3. Guess I was lucky after all as it failed and I didn't finish the order.

Tony Cristiano

People need to know about the neglected migration process in the Neo release. I have posted about this on Anthony Morganti & Jim Nix & Peter Forsgard YouTube channels. Those guys are also disappointed in Skylums neglect of the current users. 

There is time before the release of Neo, for Skylum to build a migration utility to transfer all your photo edits into Neo's architecture.

Agatha Winter

Hi Tony,

I’ve checked the information with our technical department and they confirmed that it will not be possible to migrate the catalog with all the edits, state and history files due to Luminar Neo being built on the new engine.

Hope for your understanding. 

Darryl Brooks

" due to Luminar Neo being built on the new engine."

Was that the reason we couldn't migrate the catalog from Luminar 4 to Luminar AI?

Was that the reason we couldn't migrate the catalog from Luminar 3 to Luminar 4?

Was that the reason we couldn't migrate the catalog from Luminar 2018 to Luminar 3?

The following is a list of photo editing software that builds a migration path into each new release and update.

All of them, except Luminar.

Tony Cristiano

Hi Agatha,

As a retired software developer, I can understand the technicalities of building a migration program. It is not simple. However, do not tell me it's impossible to do because you have the details of the Luminar 4 architecture and the Neo architecture. 
    It's like moving to a new house from an old house. The new house might have 2 floors and the old house had one floor, but no-one is going to leave all their old furniture behind and buy new furniture because the new house is a different shape. In this case you work out where to place old furniture in the new house.

How much will it cost Skylum to keep their customer base satisfied?

C P

Thats done it for me, I'm out. I'm not going to invest in Luminar to get treated like this. We have far more invested in the tool than the price of the tool itself. But no, its easier to forget your customers and move on to brighter shinier things. 

Personally I think they've lost the plot. Providing an easy migration path is a classic strategy to build your customer base. It becomes a no-brainer to upgrade because the cost is minimal in comparison with the cost of going elsewhere. Now every time they do this 100% of their existing users will re-evaluate their choices and look hard at the alternatives. Didn't anyone at marketing school tell them that its always easier to keep customers than find new ones?

Tony Cristiano

Hi Helga

That's great news! Thank you for listening to the feedback and taking it on-board.

Now I can proceed to use Neo knowing that a migration tool will be top priority in a forthcoming release. It would be a positive step for Skylum if you could share the approximate release date for the new functionality with us.

Thanks
    Tony

Helga Rowles

Thank you for helping us become better!

There's no official timeline yet, but we will be sure to let you know if there is any news.

Niels Woisin

I'm frankly not that worried about the catalog - I really prefer to manage my files and their locations myself. All that "exporting" an image instead of just a normal "safe as" command is just a nuisance. I hope a standard "save as" dialog will be an option in Neo - as well as direct control of where you put the catalogue, rather than you picking a folder and Skylum adding another folder level to the path on its own.

What I would like is a conversion of my style templates to work in Neo - even if you can create better ones in Neo...

Margaret Bright

Hi Niels,

We understand that you’d love to use your previously created Templates in Luminar Neo. Therefore, we’ll take care of the migration process. Our team will provide you with a special utility to convert your custom Templates into a Luminar Neo-compatible format. You'll be able to take your favorite settings with you when switching to the new software. 

Moreover, the majority of the purchased Luminar AI Templates will be reworked so you could install them in Luminar Neo. After the release, you’ll be able to re-download the compatible files from the My Add-ons section of your Skylum account.

Please sign in to leave a comment.