Luminar AI vs Neo key differences?

Answered

Comments

83 comments

Tomasz Padzik

I purchased a Luminar 2018, Luminar 3, Luminar 4, Lumianr AI and Aurora HDR

And it's over. I will not buy any of your applications anymore and I will not advise anyone to buy.

Comment actions Permalink
    Sascha C.

Bought AI 2 month ago and feel (again) sowhat cheated by Skylum. AI is useless because of the bug with artifacts that occurs while editing but I did not requested a refund because skylum said that there will be a fix and the Developer concentrate on this. Now again a new Luminar ist announced, bringing back features we already head before AI and it feels like AI is a dead horse again and again I wasted money by buying a skylum product.

I can’t believe that…

Matt Orth

The key difference is that they already have your money for AI.

They don’t have your money for Neo. 

James N

Thanks, Agatha, for getting back to me.

But all you have really mentioned is the features that Neo will have, not really the differences between the two pieces of software. It seems to me that these new features of Neo could have easily been implemented to Luminar AI instead you've created a situation where people now have to spend more money out of pocket for in reality 2 maybe 3 new features.

I kind of think that is a total waste, and to be perfectly honest terrible business practice.

I can tell you I won't purchase Neo

PS: perhaps you guys should really send out surveys to your customers so that "Skylum" As a company can really understand what the client actually wants because this isnt it.

James N

Austin Miller

Thanks for getting back to me. But in all honesty, I won't be purchasing another product from you guys. Your business practices are predatory, and it's bad enough you make us pay ridiculous prices for presets, and templates. I'd even go on to say that it's as bad as microtransactions. I purchased Luminar AI 4 months ago because I thought it would be great to edit my photos with. But it's slow, takes too many resources and crashes every 30-45 minutes. One hundred forty dollars for that was a terrible waste.

Thanks though for the replies, I appreciate it.

Markus Zell

This means your existing customers should pay again the full price for getting a software which receives a different internal structure, which requires less resources and which will run more stable? Shoudn't this be a part of the normal maintenance customers can expect from the software which they've bought short time ago (2 months ago in my case)?

You mentioned some new features like removing sensor dust and phone wires in pictures, this could be part of Luminar AI as well. Again, if you go this way of developing and promoting your software without offering a free upgrade for customers who bought Luminar AI within the last 3 months, then this program will disappear from my PC and your products will no longer be considered in the future.

There are some very popular forums in the German speaking area. I will be happy to describe my experience with your product there.

Sascha C.

@Austin: That is what Skylum tells us with quite every new Luninar Version

Mike Lee

Agatha, you say "next versions of the app", but then in other responses you say "Neo serves a different purpose than AI"... so which is it?

The business model of doing paid major upgrades every year is fine. Many do it, including my current photo editor/DAM, CaptureONE. But with CaptureONE, they're building on an existing product/system each time. And the latest version before the upgrade is, largely, very stable and reliable.

Every year, ya'll just release a "new" product entirely - different name, sometimes a different "engine", and you leave the previous model in the dust. It's dishonest, particularly when you don't honour purchases made within a short timeframe of announcing the new version.

I, like many others here, are sick and tired of the constant and blatant lies and the games. AI is the last version I'll be purchasing. And since it's still a buggy / slow mess, I've unfortunately had to quit using it. And with this Neo announcement, it's clear that it's never going to become a stable piece of software, so I guess I made the right choice.

Gord Marshall

Markus, don't waste your time arguing. The same thing happened to me last year, 3 weeks after I bought the software they upgraded and pretty much told me I was beat. I ended up reloading Luminar 4 and AI and pretty much have everything that counts that NEO is intending to replace. Pretty much the same software just re-branded.

Mike Lee

Sascha, I don't think we really need an answer to this. Their track record makes it pretty clear. They'll "support" AI with the bare minimum for a year...ish, but we won't see any further major performance updates or anything. And they've already said it won't grow in complexity, which means no new features either. AI will never be a completely stable, fast, or reliable piece of software. They say they're two different programs for different purposes (lol), but no... Neo is the new AI.

A completely new program so that it's not easy to simply switch from one to the other (of course). Neo will have it's own share of bugs and significant performance issues for the duration of it's lifespan, before it's abandoned for Luminar Morpheus or Luminar Trinity or whatever they'll call the next one. Which will have an all new "core engine." But don't worry, you can keep using Neo as long as you want. They'll provide a year's worth of bare-minimum upgrades for it as well, even though they never really got it to a place where it was actually fast, reliable, and stable.

And on goes the merry-go-round.

Skylum, if you're actually taking all of this feedback to heart (haha), please hear this: If you had made Luminar AI your new base, and simply kept improving on it with new major paid feature updates, while keeping the base software and engine the same... while focussing heavily on providing us with the fastest most stable editor you could... you would have had a winner.

But as it stands, I'll take a transparent and clear subscription model for software that I can actually count on to this scummy stuff any day. :(

noxwin

Hello everyone,

I have to complain as well. I just purchased Luminar AI one week ago (year subscription) and now a new software is being released instead of just upgrading the existing one. Overall the skylum software portfolio is super difficult to grasp as a user and I will also discontinue my subscription next year if it stays shattered like this. I hope skylum will change its strategy and focus on one product.

Marcy Burgis

This is more of a comment than a question. This thread sort of addresses what I'm thinking. I like Luminar but it seems every year there is a new product. I barely get time to learn the last one. I have Luminar 4 and Luminar AI. Now another one? It sounds good but I'm just not sure I'm ready to purchase and have to learn yet another product. I'm very on the fence about Neo. I'm not sure I see the benefits. FYI - I'm also a very long time use of Photoshop (version 2) and Lightroom. It is just starting to feel like too much. Any feedback to these thoughts is welcome please.

Sascha C.

Pleased give as a CLEAR statement

I Neo an different product and not the follow up product of AI and Will AI be further developed?

Will Ai get a AI 2 or something or is AI now again a product lived for about 1 year and is stopped now?

Thank you
    Sascha

HaHa, I've been fooled. Didn't see that coming. I avoided SW with monthly fees like Lightroom since my needs don't justify the cost or the complexity. But Skylum outsmarted me and pretended it was a one-off expense for a sw that still had more coming to it. But as someone pointed out, in reality it is a hidden subscription intended to discretely land you at the same expense as the professional sw. I might as well gone with an honest and transparent provider instead. The feed back on this around internet seem to be consistent in its negativity. Management should listen. Dirty business ethics are never a good idea how tempting it may seem for next quarters revenues. It always comes back and bite you in the end.

Sascha C.

Again:

@Skylum

Pleased give as a CLEAR statement

Is Neo an different product and not the follow up product of AI and Will AI be further developed?

Will Ai get a AI 2 or something or is AI now again a product lived for about 1 year and is stopped now?

Thank you
    Sascha

Sascha C.

@Katherine Nelson

Thank you, but that’s  only a half answer. Will there be a AI 2 or 2022 or else as upgrade of Luminar Ai? Or will you only ship some Maintenance Updated and let Luminar Ai die because Neo is the new star which you concentrate on?

Stephen Pire

I also feel cheated. This type of move makes me understand why some people download cracked versions of software rather than pay for the full price. I wanted to trust on luminarAI, I was one of the early adopters, and as a reward? I got stab in the back. Instead of fixing what is wrong and called it AI v2.0, they took all our feedback, apply it, and call it Neo. This will be the last time I ever buy software from that company. It s just no ethical practices. So disappointed!!!!

Andreas Epmeier

Markus Zell
    This is exactly what I asked multiple times on the insider platform. And every answer is just marketing slogans and the usual evasive answers without really addressing specific questions.

I think after the paid alpha and beta tests(Luminar 4 and Lumniar AI) and the really big amount of community requests for specific features, we finally get the full product - but with no backward compatibility.

This forces us to buy or templates again. I think this is nothing more or less than a hidden subscription model.

No one at Skylum can tell me that it is not possible, to give us a converter for existing templates or make them compatible with Luminar NEO. A converter must already exist, because installed templates will migrate to Luminar NEO. There was the same procedure for Luminar 4 and Luminar AI.

And when Luminar NEO is based on the predecessors Luminar AI, why should the AI templates not work with Luminar NEO? 

In my experience, and to put it simply, only an internal adaptation of the function calls and the paramerter transfer would be required. Similarly, the templates of Luminar 4 were changed when importing to Luminar AI, which can also be seen very nicely in the source code of the templates in the direct comparison. You can even modify templates internally or create new ones in this way.

The next issue will arise, when the new core engine is just another version of the chromium engine. This engine is not really optimized and has often issues with performance and memory leaks.

I think through this whole action, the update model and that there will be a new version in September that is not backwards compatible and we have to buy templates and also third-party templates, this will permanently damage the reputation of Skylum. It would have been better to offer the whole thing as a free update and not to give the buyers the feeling of being just paying product testers who are then allowed to buy the final product at some point.
    And I don't think that would be possible as an update. There is too much evidence to the contrary where entire engines and basic functions in programs have been replaced by updates or patches.
    Then the again a strange feeling of not receiving a finished product, since now it has already been announced that certain functions are available later. In addition, there are contradictory statements about the templates. From the support comes the statement that most installed templates are imported when installing Luminar NEO. We already had the mess with Luminar AI and that wasn't really clean (no sorting, no categories, useless names, etc.).

And on a website and the FAQs it says:

"BRIEFLY, FAQ FROM SKYLUM:

ALL YOUR PURCHASED LUMINAR AI TEMPLATES WILL WORK IN LUMINAR NEO. THERE WILL BE A TOOL IN LUMINAR NEO TO MOVE ALL YOUR AI TEMPLATES TO NEO."
    https://devpixafoto.ru/?na=v&nk=9513-d25a611c85&id=922

So according to this statement, an import of old templates should be possible at any time and not only as an import during the install of Luminar NEO.
    But even to this question or to this statement I do not expect a binding answer from Skylum.

The whole thing is a very big disappointment and really a pity, because the software does a lot of things right and has good and innovative ideas.

Markus Zell

Agatha, I'm still answering to this thread because I see positive aspects in your software and would like to use it, but need a reasonnable business model for that.

If you ship upgrades every 12-24 months with new features and hopefully better performance and stability, don't call them "Neo", but "AI 2.0", even if you ask some money for it (upgrade fee), but consider people having bought AI x months ago (my suggestion x = 3) being entitled for a free upgrade to that 2.0 version, then a lot of people here (including myself) would be more than happy.

I don't want to install a new software on my PC if I want to have a combination of all features available, also I don't want to to pay a second time if I just paid the full price for a software which now is outdated.

Maybe you can rethink your business model into that direction, a lot of people who will otherwise leave your product and never will touch a Skylum product again might stay with your company.

Ian Price

You can add me to the list of 'disappointed customers' - I don't understand what 'Neo' is.  Is it an improvement on AI? If so, why did I buy AI less than 12 months ago?!  I thought this was great as it was  aone off purchase, rather than these silly subscriptions (like Lightroom which I left for that reason).  Now, I'm not sure we're any better off.  When will support end for AI, once Neo is pushed out? I bought into AI only because Skylum said they were stopping support for Luminar 4.  Luminar AI was barely fit for purpose when it was first released (I have few compalints now, admittedly), so we've had about six months of 'decent' software and it looks like it's about to be superseded!  It's not a great way to carry on, is it?
    As far as offering an 'early bird' discount purchase - you have to be joking don't you?  I've only just bought AI - how can I 'bin' that and just move on with more expense?!!  If this is the way you plan to contoinue, Skylum, I may as well suck up the experience and start paying someone else a subscription - at least, then, I'd know where I stood and would feel less like a mug!!

Matt Orth

Mike Lee, you expressed it perfectly. This is their track record for Luminar 3, Luminar 4, AI…. It’s their business model. There’s really nothing to add to your post.

Bill Y

I hear ya. I buy the software because it's worth it even if they treat me like crap later. But I always start by presuming the best of intentions. I think most people want to do a good job and serve their customer well. This, however seems outside their abilities & instincts. Not sure if its a EUR/US vs Ukraine thing, but it's a problem...

Mike Lee

Yikes! You guys seriously had someone reach out to you (a loyal customer) that purchased the program TWO days before your invisible we-don't-tell-anyone-at-all "grace period," and you refused? Do you have anyone there evaluating your customer-service decisions... from a customer-centric side? Like... you're actively making choices to frustrate as many people off as you can, it's insane. I understand that at some point there's got to be a cut off, hence this date that no one knows about... but case-by-case you've got to see the value in providing above-and-beyond customers service. How much better would Tobias's opinion of your company be if someone there had replied and said "Hey, you're unfortunately outside of the grace period by a couple days, but don't worry - we've got your back. Here's a copy of Neo on us, thanks for your support!"

Hope the $35-70 odd bucks you pocketed by saying no was worth all of this. Wow.

Matt Orth

Ian, it’s their business model, just look at their history. New buggy under-featured incompatible software released every year, with last year’s shiny new thing (also buggy, under-featured and incompatible) given desultory service for another year then kicked to the curb.

Ian Price

Matt - yes, I gather that, now. Their business model is coming clear. It doesn't mean I have to be happy with it!  (I'd give you a 'smiley face' at that point to show I'm not getting at you - but I'm not feeling smiley about Skylum and I don't want it to be misinterpreted.) 
    I realise, as well, that - if they're anything like Adobe - they won't give a stuff what their customers think and they won't respond to complaints - and I won't be happy with that either. 
    Can anyone recommend a good provider of editing software - one that works and will not be superseded about a year after it's released?!

Don Keninitz

Get ready folks, Luminar Neo releases in December; then, in roughly June 2022, as the first 10% of the bugs in Neo are on the verge of being fixed, Skylum will announce Luminar 5AiNeo, due in winter 2022 with a 5% discount for the early fools, er...upgraders.

Gord Marshall

Bill Y,

I know you are trying to help, the only problem is they are too arrogant to listen to any of their customers! This was all said last year when they did the same thing and the year before. As long as people will keep on buying this crap they have no reason to change. Enough said and good luck...

A Althoff

Started of with Luminar 2018 and liked it a lot. Bought it, thinking it would get nice updates like a proper library functionality. 
    Which it got... In a new version you had to buy (again). This has repeated multiple times.

Atm I own:
    - Luminar 2018
    - Audora HDR 2018 (should be a module feature of AI)
    - Luminar 3
    - Luminar Flex
    - Luminar 4
    - Luminar AI (Bought it in march, as preview, and now 6 months later already obsolete :-( )

All could have been just updates. (don't give me the rebuild core.. blabla.. I'm a developer myself. Know the game.)

Like the other said. Luminar AI isn't even stable yet. And already you guys are coming with a 'new' product. Which should be a (free) upgrade. Old feature in a new skin/jacket (whatever you call it)

Not gonna buy NEO either. And definitely not gonna promote Luminar to others anymore. 

Tobias

Hello Margaret, 

As Anastasiia wrote that the grace period startet late Juli. I ordered it 27.07.2021

After contacting the support like you proposed, they wrote me right now that I am out of the grace period.

If 27.07 is not late Juli I don't know what late Juli means.

Can you please check my request?

Markus Zell

Tobias,

don't worry, that's the same direction what we had with Anastasiia's first statement, that the grace period should be "a couple of months" before Neo was released. This shrank down to "from late July on". Well, now it will shrink to "from 30th July on" - at least until the next community member comes to ask for his grace period download... :-)

I assume you now have a better understanding of the Skylum Business Model. For me this is not a product and a company I can trust, kicked out their products from my workflow for that reason.

Please sign in to leave a comment.