Luminar AI vs Neo key differences?

Answered

Comments

83 comments

Ok this is troubling and really annoying. So I just recently ordered AI in September. Because a friend recommended it to me. So far I've enjoyed using it...... and suddenly there's a new Neo coming out. I thought it was an update so I said ok cool but now i'm being told its a second app stand alone and has its own templates. So am I to rebuy templates all over again for a new app ?

And why am I charged for 1 seat for Neo if I just bought AI ? I got no notification that I could download a complimentary Neo copy because I just ordered AI ?  This is nuts.  

Comment actions Permalink
    Agatha Winter

Hi Member! We completely understand how disappointed one can get when purchasing a software and hearing about the new one being released, so, there was a grace period for those, who have just recently purchased Luminar AI before Luminar Neo announce, they've all received an email with the offer. If you haven't received such email, please reach out to our support team via https://skylum.com/support and they will be happy to help sort this out for you :)

Deepak Gupta

Hey guys, I went to Luminar website and was offered a combo of AI and Neo. I came here looking for answer to whether I need both AI and Neo or just Neo.

Having read several comments here, it does seem the organization doesn't treat customers well and replaces old products instead of giving at least a year worth of upgrades. Thank you so much. I would not be purchasing it for myself. 

Önder Kacak

I was about to place an order for Luminar Neo because of the Black Friday offer for 44€ on Sunday, November 28th but I decided no to because of Skylum's upgrade policy, the continued problems I am reading about customers are having regarding the customer dissatisfaction Skylum is working hard on every day.

I read in another post in the Skylum forum a customer has received a notification by Skylum that Luminar Neo will be delayed to February 2022. When it's due in February or maybe even later I am sure Skylum will come up with Luminar AI 2.0 or Luminar Neo Pro in Summer 2022 advertising it as "with a completely new engineered core that works more stable and even faster than any other previous version" for pre-orders for its release in later 2022. That marketing policy smells pretty fishy to me.

Martial Fournier

Bonjour,

Un coup de couteau dans le dos de Skylum pour la date (vous aviez noté en hiver, mais avant la fin d'année 2021) Sur cela je ne vais pas vous faire de bonne PUB !

Vous avez fait fluctuer notre argent depuis que vous l'avez reçu, et jusqu'au mois de Mars combien cela vous rapporte ? (règlement fait en septembre 2021 pour moi, mais d'autres ont payé avant)

Je souhaite que l'attente subie par, les clients, pour construire Néo en fasse de lui une  "perle"

Black Eyes

Hi All,

I have only Luminar AI but I think that I will never by anything at Skylum because their poor product quality and especially their "EMPTY" promises.

Luminar AI has very poor performance (extremely slow), uses high resources (high RAM use) and not reliable (broken link, lost edits).

Skylum pretended that it's their first priority to fix these issues several months. I didn't notice real improvements. Do you notice the improvements?

Skylum now launching NEO instead of fixing first Luminar AI issues. As customer, I feel cheated. As its softwares, Skylum is not reliable company, therefore I will not spend any cents for such company.

Anastasiia Moore

Hi all!

I am truly sorry to hear that you feel upset regarding the ETA for the Luminar Neo release.

Let me kindly note that in our official statements, we always mentioned that the software will be released this winter. 

As much as we want to, I'm afraid we cannot ship the software earlier.

Black Eyes,

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you've had an unpleasant experience using our software. Please accept my sincere apologies for it. Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format, your hardware configuration, etc. Kindly reach our support team at https://skylum.com/support , we'd be glad to investigate it.

Don Keninitz

Face it: Skylum is a company of hucksters with a long history of delivering half-finished software and then abandoning it while promising new wunderkind software under a different name six months later.  I made my last Skylum purchase when I was duped into purchasing AI, a disappointing program to put it mildly.  Neo will be late, half-finished, and have a shelf life of no more than six months before they start promising something else, claiming it's not a replacement when in fact it is.  I've never seen a worse bunch of shysters.

Black Eyes

Hi Anastasia,

Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately, after one year of poor performance, I do not believe Support Team anymore.

- I don't think it depends mainly on computer configurations, when software has poor performance. My computer fully corresponds to requirements: iMac, i7, 3GHZ, 32 GHz RAM, approx. 5000 pictures on internal 2Tb Fusion Drive.

- I have contacted your support already several times. Mostly the typical answers were: "please, try this, then try that", then they proposed "workarounds". Finally as they cannot really help, they proposed some stuffs for free.

I can understand, just after release it may have some bugs, but Support team said that it's your first priority to fix these issues, but after one year, the main problems are still there ... Then you announce and spam us with the announcement of NEO.

Please, don't consider customers as stupide!

Matt

“Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog, their format, your hardware configuration, etc. “

Blame the customer…

Don Keninitz

@ Black Eyes - Yes, you exposed one of the common nonsensical go-to excuses used by Skylum for it's buggy software.  I run an iMac Pro w/ a Core i7 8-core Xenon processor, 32GB of RAM, and a 1TB internal drive.  I can run Logic Pro w/ virtually no latency; Final Cut runs flawlessly.  To this day Luminar 4 runs slowly.  AI was such lousy and unintuitive software that I essentially abandoned it and went back to Lightroom, so I can't speak to its performance.

Markus Zell

PC Configuration is one thing (I'm using a High-End PC here with AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX plus nVidia RTX 3080 Laptop GPU), nevertheless the performance is - let's say - kind of slow.

The more important thing is that instead of adressing the performance and stability issues a new software is announced and - as I read in this forum - is scheduled for next year, although the money is already accepted this year.

As written in another thread this is not my understanding of "customer focussed product development". I see a huge focus on "making money" which is ok if comes with great products - which is not the case here.

For that reason I dropped the Skylum product line and am building a workflow with products from supplier which are more customer oriented.

Maybe I have a limited view on customer service as I'm working in that business for a US based company, but this makes me believe that there is something fishy with this company and their products.

Good bye, Skylum.

Markus.

P. S. No, please don't write something like "I'm so sorry that you experience a bad behavior or our products" - I'm not sending anything to support@wedontcare.com...

Ferenc Fapal

Hi,

I feel you all, guys. I've paid for Luminar 4, was wise enough to skip AI, and then I was lured in to pay for Neo. Now, as Neo was postponed until February (that actually may be a good sign, given they would finally release something stable for version 1.0), I am considering a refund if it won't live up to the expectations set by the very efficient marketing engine.

Also, yesterday I've found this deal on Humble Bumble:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/software/photo-editing-to-max-with-luminar-ai-software?partner=eb

I don't know that it means that all the apps and styles in this offer will be abandoned (as they already did with Luminar 4), that is why the very low price?

How is Luminar AI now? Is it fast, is it stable? Maybe I will just go for this deal and will buy Neo in a similar bundle in 2 years... ;)

Skylum, you really need to respect your existing customers much better as the trust of community would yield much more revenue than this sort term advantages. Also, it is okay to sell your products for more, but stick with one product and keep developing that, not abandoning every year. People are also sick and tired to learn new things all the time.

Good luck,
    Ferenc

I’ve got the trial version of Luminar AI installed as a LrC plugin, and trying to decide whether to buy it now.  Is there anything AI can do that Neo cannot?  If not, I consider Neo an upgrade, even though it doesn’t seem to be marketed that way.

Ferenc Fapal

Member, according to Skylum website AI and Neo are 2 different products, that is why I decided in the end to buy the bundle I linked above.

Though Luminar AI still eats A LOT of resources, on M1 Pro machines it is quite responsive and it can achieve amazing effects fast. So there is no doubt that there is a lot of know-how in Skylum, they just should change their product and pricing policy and do like other normal companies do (Capture One for example), so release a yearly product with an option to upgrade to it, but keep the base product as it is and do gradual improvements to it each year. If one needs a feature developed during the last one year, then he pays and upgrade fee. If he is content with the last years version, he just keeps using that.

Thanks, Ferenc. I’m new to Skylum and, while impressed with their technology, I find their product lineup and pricing a bit confusing. I appreciate your answer.

Even on my M1 Air, I find AI to be extremely fast. I’m confident Neo will run quickly enough.  When purchased as part of the bundle, AI is only $29, which is a bargain in my book.  I suppose I’ll spring for it. 

Ferenc Fapal

No problem Dave, but my comment is only an opinion. I have a feeling that even Skylum is unsure about how AI and Neo will work out... ;) In my opinion there could be something that works more as a plugin (like NIK Collection), and a more complete software with DRM (like Lightroom).

Talking about bargains, the deal on Humble Bundle is an even better one: for 22 EUR/USD you'd have many extra resources plus Aurora HDR, Photolemur (I also owned this before, next to Luminar 4), so it is a killer deal even if you own some stuff from it. (I have no commission or whatsoever advertising this, just so many of us feel a bit let down paying too much for the same software, some may compensate themselves with this generous offer.)

Don Keninitz

I'd approach the Humble deal with caution because it's not clear whether they're selling current versions of the Skylum software. Photolemur is an older product that I thought had been abandoned by Skylum, like Snapheal.  Skylum's history is littered with "next great thing" products abandoned shortly after their introduction.  A Google search shows Photolemur is still available, billed as the first image editor to use AI, but of course Skylum is now plugging Luminar AI and Luminar Neo for that.

Anyway, it's not clear that the Humble deal will allow you get the updates to the latest versions of the included Skylum products, and without the updates those products are useless.

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Don,

Humble Bundle offer includes:

1. The latest version of Luminarᴬᴵ (1.5.0 for Mac and 1.5.1 for Windows);
    2. The latest version of Luminar 4 (4.3.3);
    3. The latest version of Photolemur 3 (1.1.1 for Mac and 1.1.0 for Windows);
    4. The latest version of Aurora HDR (2019 1.0.0 for Windows and 1.0.1 for Mac).

Luminarᴬᴵ, Luminar 4 and Aurora HDR are currently supported. All the owners receive free updates (bug fixes, support of new camera models) automatically. As for the Photolemur 3, we do not plan to release an update for it in the nearest future, however, note that all the licenses don't expire. Even if the app haven't received an updated for some time, you can still use it. 

I hope this clarifies what is included.

Matt

Aurora HDR is only supported if your camera is two years old or older. There is no ETA on updates to support newer cameras

Skylum reps tend to leave out important details like that.

Ferenc Fapal

Helga Hufflepuff, thank you for the confirmation.

I even realised the Luminar AI comes with a 2-seats license, so it can be activated on 2 computers. I was worried it will be the 1-seat version, pleasantly surprised!

Alan Hubberman

I agree with a few commenters.  I have purchased Luminar, Luminar 2018, Luminar 3, 4, AI and preordered Neo. I also have Aurora HDR 2018 and 2019 and even AirMagic...I'm done. It seems that the 'no subscription' scenario is really just a ruse. Instead of upgrades to existing software they just create knockoffs and say how much greater they are and force you to purchase yet another stand alone...crap...I am beginning to think a photo subscription to Adobe for Lightroom may be a much better option. Neo will be the last app I buy from Skylum unless they come up with a better model....

Markus Zell

At least they will tell you that their next release will be perfect...if you only pay for it... :-)

Please sign in to leave a comment.