Luminar AI vs Neo key differences?

Answered

Comments

60 comments

Agatha Winter

Hi James,

First, thanks a lot for your interest in our software!

Let me address your question.

Luminar Neo is based on unique technologies developed by Skylum and works on a module system, which means that different parts of the application can now be optimized separately for the best results. Thanks to the independent modules engine, Luminar Neo will consume fewer resources and as a result, run smoother. Also, this core will help us to add new updates with features to the current app without affecting the way the software works overall. 

We're also bringing the layers back to Neo, only now, the layers system will be more robust and you'll get more controls and flexibility. 

Not to mention new features for quick removal of sensor dust, power lines in the image, a relighting tool that controls the exposure of an image based on the distance from the lens. It’s useful for independently adjusting the background and foreground exposure. The app will also have a mobile assistant for the quick transfer of images from your mobile device to the Luminar and vice versa. 

We'll share more info with you in the upcoming weeks. Meanwhile, I invite you to check our FAQ: https://skylum.com/luminar-faq/neo/general 

Comment actions Permalink
    Sascha C.

Bought AI 2 month ago and feel (again) sowhat cheated by Skylum. AI is useless because of the bug with artifacts that occurs while editing but I did not requested a refund because skylum said that there will be a fix and the Developer concentrate on this. Now again a new Luminar ist announced, bringing back features we already head before AI and it feels like AI is a dead horse again and again I wasted money by buying a skylum product.

I can’t believe that…

Matt Orth

The key difference is that they already have your money for AI.

They don’t have your money for Neo. 

Agatha Winter

Hi Sascha,

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with our software. Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we will see what we can do for you. Thanks in advance!

Lloyd O'Daniel

Bingo, Matt!

Tomasz Padzik

I purchased a Luminar 2018, Luminar 3, Luminar 4, Lumianr AI and Aurora HDR

And it's over. I will not buy any of your applications anymore and I will not advise anyone to buy.

James N

Thanks, Agatha, for getting back to me.

But all you have really mentioned is the features that Neo will have, not really the differences between the two pieces of software. It seems to me that these new features of Neo could have easily been implemented to Luminar AI instead you've created a situation where people now have to spend more money out of pocket for in reality 2 maybe 3 new features.

I kind of think that is a total waste, and to be perfectly honest terrible business practice.

I can tell you I won't purchase Neo

PS: perhaps you guys should really send out surveys to your customers so that "Skylum" As a company can really understand what the client actually wants because this isnt it.

Austin Miller

Hello James,

Luminar Neo is being built on a completely new engine and from scratch. This will improve the performance of the app and allow more room for improvement.

That being said, Luminar Neo is a different application that will have new UI, new tools and it will also have more control over the edits done.

Sascha C.

@Austin: That is what Skylum tells us with quite every new Luninar Version

Marcy Burgis

This is more of a comment than a question. This thread sort of addresses what I'm thinking. I like Luminar but it seems every year there is a new product. I barely get time to learn the last one. I have Luminar 4 and Luminar AI. Now another one? It sounds good but I'm just not sure I'm ready to purchase and have to learn yet another product. I'm very on the fence about Neo. I'm not sure I see the benefits. FYI - I'm also a very long time use of Photoshop (version 2) and Lightroom. It is just starting to feel like too much. Any feedback to these thoughts is welcome please.

Gord Marshall

I sent a question to support and have not heard anything back? Why do I start off at one price CDN but when I go to my payment it's charging me more?

Markus Zell

This means your existing customers should pay again the full price for getting a software which receives a different internal structure, which requires less resources and which will run more stable? Shoudn't this be a part of the normal maintenance customers can expect from the software which they've bought short time ago (2 months ago in my case)?

You mentioned some new features like removing sensor dust and phone wires in pictures, this could be part of Luminar AI as well. Again, if you go this way of developing and promoting your software without offering a free upgrade for customers who bought Luminar AI within the last 3 months, then this program will disappear from my PC and your products will no longer be considered in the future.

There are some very popular forums in the German speaking area. I will be happy to describe my experience with your product there.

Gord Marshall

Markus, don't waste your time arguing. The same thing happened to me last year, 3 weeks after I bought the software they upgraded and pretty much told me I was beat. I ended up reloading Luminar 4 and AI and pretty much have everything that counts that NEO is intending to replace. Pretty much the same software just re-branded.

James N

Austin Miller

Thanks for getting back to me. But in all honesty, I won't be purchasing another product from you guys. Your business practices are predatory, and it's bad enough you make us pay ridiculous prices for presets, and templates. I'd even go on to say that it's as bad as microtransactions. I purchased Luminar AI 4 months ago because I thought it would be great to edit my photos with. But it's slow, takes too many resources and crashes every 30-45 minutes. One hundred forty dollars for that was a terrible waste.

Thanks though for the replies, I appreciate it.

Andreas Epmeier

Markus Zell
    This is exactly what I asked multiple times on the insider platform. And every answer is just marketing slogans and the usual evasive answers without really addressing specific questions.

I think after the paid alpha and beta tests(Luminar 4 and Lumniar AI) and the really big amount of community requests for specific features, we finally get the full product - but with no backward compatibility.

This forces us to buy or templates again. I think this is nothing more or less than a hidden subscription model.

No one at Skylum can tell me that it is not possible, to give us a converter for existing templates or make them compatible with Luminar NEO. A converter must already exist, because installed templates will migrate to Luminar NEO. There was the same procedure for Luminar 4 and Luminar AI.

And when Luminar NEO is based on the predecessors Luminar AI, why should the AI templates not work with Luminar NEO? 

In my experience, and to put it simply, only an internal adaptation of the function calls and the paramerter transfer would be required. Similarly, the templates of Luminar 4 were changed when importing to Luminar AI, which can also be seen very nicely in the source code of the templates in the direct comparison. You can even modify templates internally or create new ones in this way.

The next issue will arise, when the new core engine is just another version of the chromium engine. This engine is not really optimized and has often issues with performance and memory leaks.

I think through this whole action, the update model and that there will be a new version in September that is not backwards compatible and we have to buy templates and also third-party templates, this will permanently damage the reputation of Skylum. It would have been better to offer the whole thing as a free update and not to give the buyers the feeling of being just paying product testers who are then allowed to buy the final product at some point.
    And I don't think that would be possible as an update. There is too much evidence to the contrary where entire engines and basic functions in programs have been replaced by updates or patches.
    Then the again a strange feeling of not receiving a finished product, since now it has already been announced that certain functions are available later. In addition, there are contradictory statements about the templates. From the support comes the statement that most installed templates are imported when installing Luminar NEO. We already had the mess with Luminar AI and that wasn't really clean (no sorting, no categories, useless names, etc.).

And on a website and the FAQs it says:

"BRIEFLY, FAQ FROM SKYLUM:

ALL YOUR PURCHASED LUMINAR AI TEMPLATES WILL WORK IN LUMINAR NEO. THERE WILL BE A TOOL IN LUMINAR NEO TO MOVE ALL YOUR AI TEMPLATES TO NEO."
    https://devpixafoto.ru/?na=v&nk=9513-d25a611c85&id=922

So according to this statement, an import of old templates should be possible at any time and not only as an import during the install of Luminar NEO.
    But even to this question or to this statement I do not expect a binding answer from Skylum.

The whole thing is a very big disappointment and really a pity, because the software does a lot of things right and has good and innovative ideas.

noxwin

Hello everyone,

I have to complain as well. I just purchased Luminar AI one week ago (year subscription) and now a new software is being released instead of just upgrading the existing one. Overall the skylum software portfolio is super difficult to grasp as a user and I will also discontinue my subscription next year if it stays shattered like this. I hope skylum will change its strategy and focus on one product.

Agatha Winter

Hi noxwin - Please, reach us via https://skylum.com/support and we will see what we can do for you :)

Agatha Winter

Hi guys,

We usually ship the upgrades (or new software) every 12-24 months. The upgrades are the next versions of the app, which require purchasing a separate license for them and the upgrades are absolutely optional. We do realize that this business model is not perfect and we are considering alternative ones for future development.

Sascha C.

The model would be ok if you would start to deliver working software and not alphas and betas. It would be ok if you would concentrate on fixing major issues first before you plan, dev and announce a new version

noxwin

Thank you for the feedback Agatha. 

Markus Zell

Agatha, I'm still answering to this thread because I see positive aspects in your software and would like to use it, but need a reasonnable business model for that.

If you ship upgrades every 12-24 months with new features and hopefully better performance and stability, don't call them "Neo", but "AI 2.0", even if you ask some money for it (upgrade fee), but consider people having bought AI x months ago (my suggestion x = 3) being entitled for a free upgrade to that 2.0 version, then a lot of people here (including myself) would be more than happy.

I don't want to install a new software on my PC if I want to have a combination of all features available, also I don't want to to pay a second time if I just paid the full price for a software which now is outdated.

Maybe you can rethink your business model into that direction, a lot of people who will otherwise leave your product and never will touch a Skylum product again might stay with your company.

Mike Lee

Agatha, you say "next versions of the app", but then in other responses you say "Neo serves a different purpose than AI"... so which is it?

The business model of doing paid major upgrades every year is fine. Many do it, including my current photo editor/DAM, CaptureONE. But with CaptureONE, they're building on an existing product/system each time. And the latest version before the upgrade is, largely, very stable and reliable.

Every year, ya'll just release a "new" product entirely - different name, sometimes a different "engine", and you leave the previous model in the dust. It's dishonest, particularly when you don't honour purchases made within a short timeframe of announcing the new version.

I, like many others here, are sick and tired of the constant and blatant lies and the games. AI is the last version I'll be purchasing. And since it's still a buggy / slow mess, I've unfortunately had to quit using it. And with this Neo announcement, it's clear that it's never going to become a stable piece of software, so I guess I made the right choice.

Elena O'Brien

Hi,

Luminar AI and Luminar Neo are intended for different audiences.

Luminar AI is for those who want quick results with template-driven workflow, Luminar Neo will be more complex tasks. While it will incorporate the majority of Luminar AI's features, it will have a number of new AI-powered features, an enhanced layers workflow (more efficient and flexible compared to Luminar 4), and a much speedier new core engine.

It's more like an improved version of all Luminar line products that we've ever released. I hope you give the app a try when it's released. We'll definitely offer a free trial or, if you choose to pre-order at an early-bird price, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee starting from the release date.

We completely understand how disappointed one can get when purchasing a software and hearing about the new one being released, so, there is a grace period for those, who has just recently purchased Luminar AI, they've all received an email with the offer.

Sascha C.

Pleased give as a CLEAR statement

I Neo an different product and not the follow up product of AI and Will AI be further developed?

Will Ai get a AI 2 or something or is AI now again a product lived for about 1 year and is stopped now?

Thank you
    Sascha

Ian Price

You can add me to the list of 'disappointed customers' - I don't understand what 'Neo' is.  Is it an improvement on AI? If so, why did I buy AI less than 12 months ago?!  I thought this was great as it was  aone off purchase, rather than these silly subscriptions (like Lightroom which I left for that reason).  Now, I'm not sure we're any better off.  When will support end for AI, once Neo is pushed out? I bought into AI only because Skylum said they were stopping support for Luminar 4.  Luminar AI was barely fit for purpose when it was first released (I have few compalints now, admittedly), so we've had about six months of 'decent' software and it looks like it's about to be superseded!  It's not a great way to carry on, is it?
    As far as offering an 'early bird' discount purchase - you have to be joking don't you?  I've only just bought AI - how can I 'bin' that and just move on with more expense?!!  If this is the way you plan to contoinue, Skylum, I may as well suck up the experience and start paying someone else a subscription - at least, then, I'd know where I stood and would feel less like a mug!!

Matt Orth

Ian, it’s their business model, just look at their history. New buggy under-featured incompatible software released every year, with last year’s shiny new thing (also buggy, under-featured and incompatible) given desultory service for another year then kicked to the curb.

Ian Price

Matt - yes, I gather that, now. Their business model is coming clear. It doesn't mean I have to be happy with it!  (I'd give you a 'smiley face' at that point to show I'm not getting at you - but I'm not feeling smiley about Skylum and I don't want it to be misinterpreted.) 
    I realise, as well, that - if they're anything like Adobe - they won't give a stuff what their customers think and they won't respond to complaints - and I won't be happy with that either. 
    Can anyone recommend a good provider of editing software - one that works and will not be superseded about a year after it's released?!

Londinense

Ian,

When I decided to move away from the Lightroom subscription model two years ago I bought both Luminar 4 and On1 PhotoRaw 2020. After playing with both, I decided to use PR as my main photo editor, because it has an LR migration tool and much better DAM. I'm very glad I made that decision and I have only used Luminar for the occasional sky replacement. Now that PR 2022 will have sky replacement, I will have no further use of L4. However I did decide to purchase Neo, as it was only $34 and I will be able to use it as a plug-in in PR 2022. If the dust removal and cable removal features work as promised it will have been money well spent.

My upgrade to PR 2022 this year cost me $59.99, including a coupon, so I think that was money well spent as well. It is due to be released at the end of this month and, unlike, Luminar products, catalogues carry over to each update.

When I was doing my research. I did look at several other LR alternatives (eg Affinity), and you might want to do the same and make up your own mind. I should add that I also have Topaz DeNoise AI and Topaz Sharpen AI, since PR 2020 was not adequate in that respect. The new PR will have a much better denoise function called NoNoise AI, so that has hopefully resolved that issue.

I'm sure I will still need Sharpen AI as it does a brilliant job with images that have motion blur.

HaHa, I've been fooled. Didn't see that coming. I avoided SW with monthly fees like Lightroom since my needs don't justify the cost or the complexity. But Skylum outsmarted me and pretended it was a one-off expense for a sw that still had more coming to it. But as someone pointed out, in reality it is a hidden subscription intended to discretely land you at the same expense as the professional sw. I might as well gone with an honest and transparent provider instead. The feed back on this around internet seem to be consistent in its negativity. Management should listen. Dirty business ethics are never a good idea how tempting it may seem for next quarters revenues. It always comes back and bite you in the end.

Sascha C.

Again:

@Skylum

Pleased give as a CLEAR statement

Is Neo an different product and not the follow up product of AI and Will AI be further developed?

Will Ai get a AI 2 or something or is AI now again a product lived for about 1 year and is stopped now?

Thank you
    Sascha

Please sign in to leave a comment.