Slow slow slow slow slow slow slow

Answered

Comments

11 comments

Helga Hufflepuff

Hello Preston White,

Sorry to hear about the issues with performance. Please, note that system specs is not the only aspect which influences the speed. Let's see what we can do in your case. Can you please reach us via https://skylum.com/support ? Look forward to hearing from you.

Comment actions Permalink
    David Moss

Once again you offer no problem solving advice. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Elena Blum

Hi David,

I'm really sorry to see your frustration. Not having the app functioning the way it should when you'd love to experiment with some editing can be really discouraging. 

Could you please provide us with a bit more details regarding the issue?

- Does it occur when you're editing the files of a particular format or it happens regardless of the image format? 

- How many photos do you have in your Library and where they are located? Please send us the screenshot of your Catalog file structure as in the example: http://prntscr.com/obcij4   

- Let us know your hardware configuration: 

• Press the¬†Windows logo key + R.
    • Type¬†msinfo32¬†in the dialog box that opens and hit¬†Enter¬†on your keyboard.
    • In the window that opens, make sure you have¬†System Summary¬†highlighted on the left.
    • Click¬†File > Export.
    • Type the name of the file and save it somewhere where you can easily find it
      and attach this text file to your email at support@skylum.com
    David Moss

You really don't listen, do you? Did I say I was having a problem? No, I did not. Better you should address Preston's problems with your product. 

Ondrej Pok

As usual, excuses, excuses and more excuses from Skylum "support" agents.

But slowness that makes the users tear their hair and grind their teeth is what I too have experienced. Also tens of little bugs that they will never fix despite telling you the oposite.

I also went to DARKTABLE. Free, opensource, fast, responsive, no bugs found yet.

Just bought the Luminar AI. I have a PC with below config:

Operating system : Windows 10 Pro
    Operating system version : 19042
    Device model : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ZenBook Q536FD_Q536FD
    Processors : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz - 4.5GHz
    RAM : 15.8Gb
    Videos : Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (1.0Gb);
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with Max-Q Design (2.0Gb)

Drive: C:\ (Fixed, NTFS)
    Used space: 134.7 GB
    Total size: 207.4 GB

Drive: D:\ (Fixed, NTFS)
    Used space: 216.6 GB
    Total size: 1823 GB

Resolution : 3840x2160
    Primary display scale : 250%

My library has about 150 images, all 45MP JPEGs. Once started the app uses about 5GB of ram under nominal operation. The app is very sluggish to say. I thought may be it's my computer but seeing other user reports having the same issue, it seems there is something fundamentally wrong with the software.
    Example, if I enable the before-after preview button and move it left-right couple of times, the ram usage jumps 2GB up from 5Gb to 7GB which seems kind of strange.

There is no excuse for having performance issues with super high-end PCs like OP mentioned above.

Update: I have tried to use the software, several times, but it seems like its not for me.

The sluggishness is just too much for my PC and if I need to have a higher end computer to use it, I can't afford it. Thus I have requested Skylum to revoke my license and issue me refund :(

Ivan Azure

Hi! 

We are sorry to hear that you have such an experience. Let us recommend the following:

Please try fulfilling these instructions to improve the performance: https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/windows-10-apps-take-forever-to-load.html
    Also, you may want to try freeing up RAM https://www.pandasecurity.com/en/mediacenter/tips/how-to-free-up-ram/.
    Increase the size of page file: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10.
    (If increasing the size of the page file doesn't bring any positive changes, please set it back to "Automatically manage paging files size for all drives").
    Free up drive space: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12425/windows-10-free-up-drive-space.
    Clear the memory: https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/clear-memory-and-increase-ram.html

Please try to reduce the library slightly and split it into several catalogs.

Currently, the software relies mostly on CPU and RAM.The application can use the maximum amount of RAM when one works with it. But as soon as you finish the editing, the consumption of the RAM will drop again. 

Usually, the performance depends on the number of photos you have in your catalog (we recommend storing no more than 10,000 photos in a catalog for the application to work better), their format (it can take a bit more time to load RAW/TIFF/DNG files and generate the previews), your hardware configuration, and the place where you store your photos (it works faster when the photos are located on an internal drive). Nevertheless, we are constantly improving the speed of the app to provide our artists with the best quality. 

Could you also please let us know the following:

- How many images are there in your Library? Please send us the screenshot of your Catalog file structure.
    - Where are they located (on an internal or external drive)?
    - How much time do the operations take on your end?

David Moss

Does anyone at Skylum have any shame at all? I think not. And do not respond to me as if I'm having any issues with the software - I am not. I am one of the lucky ones. But there are many people who have spent their hard-earned money and have received NO help at all. You SHOULD be ashamed of yourselves - all of you.

Hi Ivan,

Unfortunately I have tried all the troubleshoots you suggested over past month with no positive result.

1) I have tried 1 photo vs 50 photo opening in a library - no visible difference in performance.

2) I have tried putting files in internal SSD vs reading from magnetic hard drive - no difference in performance

3) RAM size - I have 16GB RAM with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz - 4.5GHz and the max memory usage I tracked that Luminar ever used is 7GB total (system memory usage went to 12GB total). Thus I don't think RAM size is an issue here.

4) CPU - I can't test it, since I only have one computer but I noticed that my CPU+RAM usage jumps very rapidly everytime I change any slider. Either way, if it is the implication that my PC configuration isn't good enough for the software, then it should transparently come from Skylum.

Austin Miller

Hello Member,

Would you be so kind as to specify if you are editing RAW or JPEG images?

Please sign in to leave a comment.