Finder still not synchronizing correctly with catalog

Answered

Comments

14 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Mark! Please reach our support team and we will do our best to help you: https://skylum.com/support

Comment actions Permalink
    David Dunk

The problem you are describing happens to me every time I do an update to MacOS Big Sur.

The only solution I have found (that works for me) is to rename the folder that contains all my images. I would do this before attempting to add any NEW photos to any folder. 

Something is breaking between Luminar and Finder after an OS update.

We can't be the only ones experiencing this. I have found a workaround that fixes it for me but not everyone can know this or be happy about doing it. Also, this fix might not work for everyone. I don't know.
    To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't corrected this problem yet. 

Mark Burgess

They tell me to just create a new catalog.  Obviously they don't use their own software or they would understand the amount of effort that goes into curating a catalog.  You don't just start a new one.

Richard Pastena

Having same issue. Was working before the latest update. 

David Dunk

Creating a new catalog will also wipe out all your previous edits so...if you want to go that route, you might think about keeping your existing catalog with the edits still intact and then create a new "secondary" catalog for all your new images.

I don't know if this is a Big Sur problem or more wide spread but they really need to fix this.
    It is the MAIN reason I currently use Luminar as an extension in Apple Photos and a plug-in to Lightroom Classic. 
    I would like to use Luminar as a stand alone more but this recurring problem prevents that.

Mark Burgess

Losing edits, ratings, etc. is why creating a new catalog is not feasible and is not an acceptable solution.  If they can fix the problem for new catalogs, then they should be able to fix the problem for existing ones.

Helena Carter

Hi David Dunk,

I'm really sorry this is happening. Indeed, renaming folders has proved to help many f the customers who have encountered this issue. Moreover, our developers are aware of this issue when LuminarAI loses the connection with Catalog after MacOS update for some reason, and they are currently investigating it in order to fix in future updates.

Mark Burgess

According to the blog, "Work on Big Sur with the photos in your Pictures folder synchronizing correctly with your Сatalog", was a bug that was fixed.  Not so apparently.

Black Eyes

As Luminar AI is NOT RELIABLE, before any update (Mac OS X or Luminar 1.x) as always back-up my computer before updating. I also encounter the problem of broken links.

I am very surprise that such a software can be put on the market: great features but poor performance, not reliable ...  Support team, may try to do their best, but unfortunately cannot help much. Mostly, it's just wasting time.

7 months after 1st release and still same issues.

Mark Barnes

I have the SAME PROBLEM! My catalog will not sync with my Pictures folder. When I add a photo to my Pictures folder the catalog doesn't recognize it. This was supposed to be fixed with the update. Tech Support says:

"Regrettably, there's no tech possibility to fix the catalogs that have already been corrupted. Although I do understand that it's far from perfect, the only solution would be to create a new catalog (File > Catalog > New) in Update 4 and keep working with it. 

This is unacceptable and need to know if an upcoming update will fix this problem with my existing catalog. Creating a new catalog is not the answer.

Austin Miller

Hello everyone,

Would you please confirm that you have the latest update installed? Click Luminar AI > Check for updates. 

Next, please try renaming the folders with 0 photos inside them within Luminar by right-clicking the folder > Rename. 

You may want to try this for the root folders in which the folders with 0 photos reside.

Mark Barnes

Austin, I've had the update since it first rolled out.

Kate recommend this procedure this morning. No luck. Also, it's not just the empty folders but images added to any folder won't sync. This is not your fault but I'm you know how important and frustrating this is, especially if the only solution is to create a new catalog which won't recognize existing edits or history. The question is why wasn't this anticipated as it's not the first time? The previous patch worked, but not with this Big Sur update. Other photo editors don't have this problem.

Would opening the current catalog from a different date (i.e.last week) make a difference?

Thanks...

Helga Hufflepuff

Hi Mark Barnes,

I do apologize for all the inconvenience you faced due to the sync problems. This problem turned out to be more complicated and requires more time to investigate.

Yes, restoring the catalog from a backup might improve the situation. Here is how to restore Luminar from backup:

1. Hold down the Option key on your keyboard and start Luminar. Keep holding Option until you see a window with a list of available backups appear.
    2. Select a backup that was created before you encountered the issue with the library and click Restore from Backup.
    Gary Rickard

Same for me.  If I add as much as a single photo to a folder, the only way it shows up in Luminar is to create a new catalogue. No amount of clever AI tools make up for this fundamental and totally unacceptable flaw which has now existed for a totally unacceptable time 

I also see a flaw in the logic that all the work done editing a photo is lost with a new catalogue because Luminar seems to think we prioritise keeping original unedited photos over the ones we do work on. 

Please sign in to leave a comment.