EOS R5 support

Answered

Comments

7 comments

Elena Blum

Hi Christian Glock,

Does it look like the RAW files lose information in highlights/shadows? If so, what you're facing is a known issue with Canon EOS R5 files. Our techs have created a task to fix it and are looking for the best way to overcome it. We expect to get the issue resolved in one of the following updates. 

To work around the issue, we recommend you install Adobe DNG Converter and convert your RAW files to DNG file format.

Please use one of the links below to download Adobe DNG Converter:

For Mac OS:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_mac/ 

For Windows:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win/ 

Comment actions Permalink
    Christian Glock

Hi Elena Blum,

yes, that's exactly the case. It's really a mess that Luminar still doesn't support the R5 - also with the previous version it didn't work well. All my other camera's photos are working fine except for the R5. And using the DNG Converter is no option for me. Sorry.

I purchased the Luminar AI license as Luminar 4 didn't support the R5 and now it still not working...

Kate Williams

Hi Christian,

I do understand your disappointment and I'm sorry for all this hassle. 

The issue is quite complex which is why it's taking longer than expected to resolve it. There are some changes that need to be made to the core to resolve it completely, which is quite a large-scale task considering the necessity to test the new release to ensure that all samples produced by this and other cameras are processed properly. 

Of course, I realize how critical it is to your workflow and how using the converter isn't an option. We're doing our best to sort it out as soon as possible. However, if you'd rather not wait for the fix, I completely understand. You can request a refund at  https://skylum.com/support

If you decide to go this way, please make sure to include a link to this thread as a reference. 

Hedley Wright

I’ve only just discovered this issue with R5 raw files. Shadows are crushed upon opening in Luminar AI and can’t be recovered. For now I’m opening in DXO Photolab 4, making basic adjustments there and exporting as a tiff to Luminar, seems to work ok. Support can’t come fast enough.

David Orlando

I just moved to the R5 and its a wonderful camera, at least until I brought the images into Luminar AI and discovered half the tones on any high contrast image get transformed to pure black and can't be recovered.  I've been using Luminar/Aurora for 5 years and love the features of Skylum products, but the reliability is continually frustrating.  IMO the company seems to always be reinventing its mission with an exciting "new" product, and discarding/ending development of the previous products, so they never get to any mature, refined, stable product.  They stopped updating Aurora (they still sell it but don't update it and can't be bothered to support CR3), and then Luminar, and I likewise expect them to abandon Luminar AI when they have their next great idea.  So for me, this is likely the signal to start moving my workflow on to other platforms.

Sergei Drovetski

Moved to DxO Pure Raw + ON1 after banging my head on the wall for a couple of weeks. Never will touch this joke of a "software" again. Still use Aurora though on the files converted to dng.

David Orlando

Sergei Drovelski thank you for for the impetus to try DxO Pure Raw.  I just downloaded the trial, took a pic of my kids at 51,200 ISO and ran it through Pure Raw.  I am blown away by the noise reduction and detail recovery. Wow.

Please sign in to leave a comment.