Make your portraits shine with Luminar 4

Comments

15 comments

Gene Flanigan

When are those of us who paid for version 4 upgrade weeks ago going to get a download?

What is Skylum's idea of Fall? Sept to Nov, or Jan 2020 to May 2020?

Comment actions Permalink
    Angela Andrieux

Hi Gene,

Luminar 4 will be released in November and we'll share the exact date soon.

Gareth Sewell

Looking forward to it! And for those of us who have already paid, is there access to the beta which all the reviewers have been using?

I'm a software tester for my day job and photographer by night so I think I could contribute something, especially as I'm using Mac OS Catalina which is causing a compatibility issue for you guys.

Anna V

Hi Gareth, 

For now, we don't have an open beta but you can contact us via

http://www.skylum.com/support   and we will be glad to add you to the list of the potential beta testers. 

Gareth Sewell

Thanks, Anna V! Message sent, fingers crossed!

Matthew Rardon

Does this work when the face is not directly facing the camera? I'm not seeing any of the controls doing anything for my photo where the face is looking ~30 degrees off from the centerline of the lens.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Matthew,

If the face is obstructed, or only takes up a very small part of the frame the AI can have trouble detecting it.

If you have a portrait where the AI is having difficulty, please send it to www.skylum.com/support. We'll share it with our developers to help train the AI and improve the tool.

Richard Chapman

I have to say that the Portrait module is worth the price of admission. On1 has a similar module but it is no where near as good.

Arthur Handelman

How do you adjust faces in a couple's photo, especially when the pair have very different skin tones, or perhaps you only want to slim one face?

Same question for group shots.

Bob Warwick

Used Portrait Enhancer features a couple days ago for the first time.  It was easy to use and I had terrific success!  Am very pleased with it.  Well done Skylum!  I would think this feature alone would warrant the price of Luminar 4 for a professional portrait photographer.

That said, Yesterday I took a portrait-like photo of a friends dog.  He has black fur around both eyes so experimented using Portrait Enhancer features to better show his eyes.  Unfortunately it does not appear to work on dog photos. Would be very cool if it could be added in a future release.      

Sharon Vallentiny

This featue was working great for me up until today. I'm still in trial mode, and have 5 days left and the portrait enhancer stopped working completely. I'm afraid this is a deal breaker for me.

Angela Andrieux

@Member - The best solution for photos with multiple people is to make use of Adjustment layers - one for each person. You can then use the masking tools to make sure the adjustments only affect one person at a time.

Bob Warwick - Glad to hear that the AI Portrait tools are working well for you! For your dog's eyes, I'd use the AI Structure tool, along with AI Enhance, and then apply the effects locally using the masking brushes.  I agree it would be awesome if the tech worked on animal photos! I'll be sure to share the suggestion with our developers.

Sharon Vallentiny - Please reach out to us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help! Please note that the portrait tools only work when the face (or faces) fill a significant portion of the frame and are unobstructed.

Fredrik Wallenberg

I've been trying to use the masking tool to define the face when AI Portraits find nothing ... guess that doesn't work. I have lots of shots that are a tad bit dark (before editing) that AI Portraits refuse to handle.

Victoria Grace

Hi Fredrik Wallenberg,

Could you please send us your images to https://skylum.com/support so that we could check them on our end?

Here's how you can send us the images:

1. Visit https://wetransfer.com/
    2. If it's your first time visiting this website, it might ask you to purchase a subscription. Simply select to proceed with the free version.
    3. Click Add your files.
    4. Select the file(s) on your computer.
    5. After you see all the files you need to send appear in the list, click the icon to the left of the Transfer button (the icon looks like a circle with three dots in it).
    6. In Send As select Link.
    7. Click Transfer.
    8. After the files have finished uploading, click Copy Link and paste it into the email to us.

Fredrik Wallenberg

Sent with a dropbox transfer link

Please sign in to leave a comment.