Still no support for uncompressed raw (Nikon z6/z7) in aurora HDR 2019

Answered

Comments

11 comments

Anna V

Hi Andreas,

z6 and z7 are supported by Luminar 3.

You can use Aurora HDR as a plugin to Luminar 3 and send your images from Luminar to Aurora HDR and back to Luminar. 

For now, there is no ETA for z6 and z7 support in Aurora HDR 2019. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Dick Van wie

I must have missed the button/menu item in Aurora that sends the output back to Luminar. Where is it?

Kate Williams

Hi Dick,

Aurora HDR 2019 needs to be updated before it can support Luminar 3. While we're preparing the update, you can try the following solution to connect both apps:

1. Open Finder, click Go > Go to Folder and paste the following path: /Library/Application Support/MacPhun Software/Luminar3/Plug-Ins. There will be a bunch of files in there, the one you're interested in has .plugin extension.
    2. Copy the .plugin file somewhere where you can easily find it.
    3. In Aurora, click Plugins > Other > Open Plugin > point Aurora to the .plugin file you just copied. Luminar should open.

All done! The apps are connected. Now you can try to invoke Aurora as a plugin for Luminar. 

In Luminar, click Edit > Plugins > Aurora HDR 2019. You'll be able to send a single image to Aurora and bring it back to Luminar, but it might not work for brackets now. 

If Aurora is not listed in the plugins menu, you may try opening the plugin file directly:

please use this link to download the plugin file (don't forget to unzip it):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb7fbf19df1j0dx/AuroraHDR2019Plugin.plugin.zip?dl=0

In Luminar 3, click Edit > Plugins > Other > Open Plugin > point Luminar to the .plugin file you've just unzipped.

Andreas Aigner

even if I use aurora HDR as a plugin to Luminar, it doesn't work. I still get complete trash using aurora HDR for my z6 pictures. 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Andreas,

Unfortunately Aurora HDR 2019 does not yet support Nikon Z6 raw files. I recommend converting those files to DNG using the free Adobe DNG Converter and then sending the DNG files to Aurora as a workaround.

Jim West

If you use Lightroom..use Aurora HDR 2019 as a plugin from Lightroom for Nikon Z6 NEF photos and Aurora works fine. The reason for this is that Lightroom converts the file to a TIFF first before sending it to Aurora. The other solution is to convert your files to DNG up front when importing from camera to Lightroom. I read somewhere that  DNG files are preferable to .nef for other reasons as well.

Jeff Schwartz

Even when I use the plugin, the colors are all wrong.  This is ridiculous considering the software and the camera are both more than a year old at this point. 

Kate Williams

@Jeff, as the camera is not supported by Aurora HDR 2019 yet, our recommendation would be to convert the files to DNG first before processing them in Aurora. 

Please refer to my comment here:  https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360030533431/comments/360001189380 

Jim West

What is the future of Aurora? It seems like an awful lot of time and resources have been poured into Luminar 4 with very little substantial changes other than sky replacement. Why on earth did they change all of the menus around in Luminar? That time could’ve easily been spent on adding more camera support to Aurora or better yet fixing the bugs in Luminar!

I have said this before but if Skylum would combine the HDR features in Aurora with a bug free Luminar program that had a better DAM , they would have a killer app. 

Jeff Schwartz

And still we wait.  Clearly Skylum only cares about Luminar and we are just second class citizens using Aurora.  I'll start looking for alternatives. 

Kate Williams

Hi Jeff, 

We're indeed focusing on our main product right now - Luminar. That's due to the fact that we're a rather small team and we have decided to allocate all of our resources on one product in order to bring our artists the best editing experience possible. Our tech team is working around the clock to develop new creative features, fix the existing issues and optimize the performance and stability of the application. It's quite a painstaking process.

However, I do understand your disappointment and I'd feel the same, having waited for so long. Therefore, if you'd like to request a refund for Aurora HDR 2019 due to the lack of your camera support, please, contact us at https://skylum.com/support

Please sign in to leave a comment.