Luminar now incompatible with Windows 10

Comments

20 comments

Mike Mansfield

William,

I have the latest Windows 10 update, and Flex for me is working fine.

You could try going back to the previous version of Windows 10 and then try reinstalling to see if it will resolve the issue.

Comment actions Permalink
    William Stickney

Mike,

The Luminar apps, when they work at all..., have been amusing at best but nothing I could use in a professional workflow. I've been shooting professionally for ~50 years so I have a pretty good idea of what I need and what works for my purpose. I really don't want to spend the time sorting out glitches in apps that really aren't ready for prime time. I'm glad they work for you, though.

Kirk Osborn

Hi. Please contact us via https://skylum.com/support and we will figure something out.

William Stickney

Kirk,

While I appreciate your reply, I will hold off on Skylum/Luminar apps until I start reading about how awesome they are, how they work "right out of the box", and that they are legitimate alternatives to Lightroom. I'm really not willing to spend time being an unpaid software developer for you. Figure "something" out before putting the product on the market.

Keep working on the apps, and good luck....

Larry Moore

William,

I also have Luminar and Flex and they both are running fine. I am a regular user that right now is quite satisfied with the way things are working within the Luminar, Aurora, Flex environment. I f you have not contacted support directly you should. The issues I have had have been resolved within a reasonable time period. I also have found through experience that when dealing with tech support  that a certain amount of information goes a long way to help resolve issues. Some of those items of information are PC/Mac specs, including GPU, CPU, installed ram, primary drive (HHD or SSD) windows/ MacOS version and build. Also include as much detail as you can regarding the problem/s your are having including errors/error codes and or screenshots.

You might want to take the time to include some of the above information in the thread. Possible another user can chime in and offer suggestions. There is also this:  https://skylum.com/support

Larry

William Stickney

Larry,

What you are suggesting is exactly my point. I want an app that works when I buy it. I don't want to spend the time going back and forth with their tech support and scrounging up all the specs about my computer. This just tells me that their developers just haven't done their homework. Maybe they will have an interesting product at some point. I'll stick with Lightroom for now and know it will do what I want it to do.

Larry Moore

I’m using Luminar, Aurora, Affinity Photo and Topaz Lab products because I was determined to stop being held ransom by Adobe and their subscription products. I’ve found that Luminar and the other products gave me results that compares favorably in many ways with what I was getting from Lightroom and Photoshop. Granted I had to modify my workflow. It really comes down to what you are looking for. I was determined to leave Adobe even though I knew I might encounter some problems. Lightroom was my security blanket beginning LR 1 through several of the subscription iterations 

Matthew Short

I had the crashing thing too and it was also causing problems with Capture One.  Uninstalled Windows Update KB4515384 and both Luminar and C1 work again

Gary Bowen

The root cause is with Windows 10 updates, not with Skylum. Microsoft updates to Win10 have a very poor record for breaking 3rd party software and even their own software. Roll back the latest updates and see what happens.

My Win10 update record is every third one breaks something on my system.

Richard Mcgibbon

Dammer.. I was having so many issues and I never thought about Windows 10 update. Not being a computer guy the more I tried to get back up and running the worst I got. Went from not being able to open my catalog to not even being able to get L3 up to even work with it. So I uninstalled L3 hoping to reinstall. Not a good move I now have nothing and can not even get Luminar3 to reinstall. just Ooh something not going well try again later..    Any help!!!!!!!!!!    I like most of what I have been using still new to L3 but many issues I have been able to work out but spending much to much time working on the product and not my photos.

I do have Windows 10 pro if that makes any difference.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Richard,

Please reach out to www.skylum.com/support and we'll be happy to help!

Richard Mcgibbon

Is work being done to fix this and if so any time line? Next question does Lumanar 4 have this same issue? I have pre ordered and will need to rethink my programs down the road. I am sitting on 5,000+ files I need to finish. And one more question will L4 be able to use Canon CR3 files?    Thank you 

Kate Williams

Hi Richard, 

One of our support team members will get back to you as soon as possible. We'll do our best to get your Luminar up and running. 

Currently, our engineering team is refining Luminar 4 to deliver you the best quality we can. Everyone at Skylum is working on the future release and taking proper measures to make the app stable. Moreover, our techs are doing their best to implement the support of .CR3 file format this Fall. Please stay tuned! 

Richard Mcgibbon

I am up and running!  Thank you support team!  So did need to remove all Skilum ?/Luminnar files and reload Luminar 3 

All in all it looks as windows 10 still will run Luminar 3 . I am looking foreword to Luminar 4 and hoping more of the small issues are worked out along with being able to use CR3 files.

William Stickney

Richard - I'm glad you finally got Luminar to run, but this is exactly why I'll be observing from the sidelines until I hear reports of a version of Luminar that actually works painlessly the first time it is installed.

I wish Skylum all the best, and really hope they can live up to their promises.

Helga Rowles

Thanks for sharing your feedback here, Richard, we greatly appreciate it :)

William, our developers are working around the clock to make Luminar better, please stay tuned!

Richard Mcgibbon

William, I understand and am not far behind you. But at this stage I am going to keep using L3 and hope the release of L4 will take us over the next step. I only do two or three outings a year that I have been shooting 5,000 + shots in one outing so I have been able to deal with some of the issues.  I am NOT! a computer guy. I get by but not sure my attempts to repair my problems did not create some of my problems. I did spend a frustrating week trying to get back up. I am still new to L3 so still trying to understand how to use L3 best. I do like the end product so I will be staying for L4 to be released and do some test driving. For me using Raw files from a Canon5D4 is something I want. I am not a professional and I don't depend on my photography for a living but do shoot for some big jobs. I am late to photography and not bad but so much still to understand. Thank you for your input.    

Ron Lawrence

I'm with William. If it doesn't work out of the box, I'm not wasting my time. Sure I expect glitches, but those should be minor and infrequent. I really don't know why I keep coming back to the forum since Skylum has basically given up on doing much for L3. No more tossing good money after bad. I really think that the problems boil down to Skylum not understanding Win10 and Win10 users. I'm NEVER going to buy software again, from anyone, where Windows users are treated like second class citizens. 

Valerie O'Neill

I'm just on here looking for solutions to my Luminar 4 issue.  The minute I try to use the sky replacement tool, Luminar shuts off, and I'm thinking this is due to RAM; however, I installed the trial version on my computer at work - which is old, running Windows 7, and has way less ram and memory.  It was slow, but it worked!  So I'm thinking this is a Windows 10 issue.  The little bit I was able to do on my work computer was freaking amazing - the sky replacement tool was fantastic, so now I'm totally disappointed to have this software at home and it. just. won't. work... Waaaa! 

Angela Andrieux

Hi Valerie,

Please contact us at www.skylum.com/support and we'll investigate the issue. Thanks in advance!

Please sign in to leave a comment.