Comments

27 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi Thaminda,

Please note that macOS Catalina is still in beta and thus not yet supported. Once Catalina is officially released we'll update Luminar 3 to support it.

Comment actions Permalink
    TPerera

Actually, the latest Beta Update from Apple did the fix.

Bruce Bovill

I'm pleased to hear that Catalina will be supported (why did I ever think not?)

I have a problem with Photolemur, and all products from Skylum when used with Catalina - that is, they do not work as extensions to Photos.

They will edit the pictures but then cannot save them back to the library, so any work is wasted.

I'm getting used to no longer using them, so I hope things are resolved quickly.

They work standalone, but that isn't how I like to work.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Bruce,

Once Catalina is out of beta we'll release an update to address these issues.

Eric

@Angela You do understand the purpose of the beta program, right? It’s specifically for app developers to continually fix and prepare for the official OS release so that your app is working when the final version is released. You don’t wait until the final version before you start fixing. That I even have to explain this concept shows how much Skylum cares about its customers.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Eric,

Our developers are certainly working on support for Catalina but we won't be releasing an update until Catalina is locked and shipped.

Colin Grant

Well it has gone Gold Master now, which is the locked down beta.

Bruce Bovill

I actually stopped using Luminar a while back, but I do use Photolemur and Aurora a lot as Photos extensions. All three suffer the same problem with Catalina so it will be good when it everything stabilises. As all my Adobe software goes west when I put Catalina on my iMac, I'm beginning to use the alternatives that are already 64 bit, most of which are, quite frankly, better in use for me than the products I am discontinuing.

Nadine

So, now Catalina is out. When can we expect an update that makes Luminar 3 comaptible?

Colin Grant

@Bruce - my Adobe software is fine but it is already 64 bit. It is a known fact that 32 bit apps will not run in Catalina.

Todd Stern

I cannot seem to import new files at all after catalina, it's like it won't even see anything new. Please fix!

Bruce Bovill

Hi Colin, yes, of course, I knew that 32-bit wouldn't be supported; that was always going to happen and Mojave has been warning me about it for some time. I rarely use the Adobe Photoshop product anymore anyway, so it isn't really an issue. More of an issue with Illustrator, but I now have photo, design and publishing products from the same place that are - for my use - much better, and for the single one-off fee for each, I have multiple licences for my Macs.

It's more of a pain for Photolemur and Aurora not to work as Photos extensions, so I won't upgrade the iMac until my MacBook has them working normally.

Anna V

Hi Everyone, 

We are already aware of this issue and we will fix it in the upcoming updates of Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex.

I hope for your patience and understanding. 

Nadine

@Anna: Question is: When will the updates arrive?

Helga Rowles

Hi Nadine, we'll do our best to release a compatibility update by the end of the year.

Colin Grant

So - all those who own L3 are effectively now dumped because you have not supported them during the Catalina development. And whilst you will do your best to get a compatibility update out by year end there are no guarantees - yet L4 launches in November. So what you are saying is that you are not really supporting L3 anymore really - you are just playing lip service to quieten the users. Yet you expect us to pre-order. Well, if what you are saying is true and L4 will be released before L3 gets its update I am disgusted and wish to cancel my pre-order.

TPerera

Well, this is not good!  You hoping to release an update for the L3?  I had the Beta version of Catalina for the past few months.  I contacted you guys and informed of the issues that we have with L3, you said, you are working on an update and you would release it when the final version of Catalina is released.  So you guys basically misinformed me. That's not good customer service. 

I also feel like cancelling the L4 Pre-order now!

Todd Stern

I agree with the above two comments, this is in-excusable. 

I would like to know how to cancel my version 4 preorder as well. 

I will be investigating this directly with Skylum customer service. 

I guess the nice thing is that apparently apple has released some new improvements to their Photos app. Perhaps I will just go back to using that... as troublesome as library management is with that, at least it's actively supported. 

This is embarrassing for you Skylum. Totally inexcusable behavior.

Colin Grant

But par for the course, Todd. How could anybody be expected to trust a lifetime's digital assets with this crowd! I have gone to Support requesting a refund, quoting this thread as the reason.

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Ditto for me. I came here to check out why Photolemur 3.0 would not save with macOS Catalina which I just installed. In my naiveté, I purchased the pre-release deal for L4 with the presets, and when I discovered I had nothing to open the Skylum presets, I purchased L3 to tide me over. Wow, what a waste. I now have nothing from Skylum that works, and I spent another $78 today on their products. By the end fo the year? I'll be back to LightRoom CC and Apple Photos by then. Let me know when you have a working product. In the meantime, I think you should offer your customers a refund, especially those who like me purchased software after macOS Catalina only to find it doesn't work.

Todd Stern

I have my official request in to support for a refund on the L4 pre-order... i wonder if I can take action through my credit card company if I get shot down...I will post the answer I get from "support" regarding the refund. 

I thought it was "underpromise, overdeliver", not "underdeliver, overpromise"

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Me too. I also asked for a refund or store credit for Photolemur 2 and 3 since they don’t work either, and the company has no specific plans to update them.

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Well, after more investigation/experimentation, it looks like the programs will save under macOS Catalina, just not when run as a plugin to Apple Photos. So you would need to process your photos with the programs as standalone. Not my workflow, and not as convenient. Not what I have been doing for years. (I import raw files into Lightroom, edit and export as JPEGS into Apple Photos. From there I often do further editing, including Photolemur. Now I would have to do any Skylum processing separately. Not likely to bother.)

Luminar 3 will not import any new photos since I updated to Catalina. I'm not sure if there is a fix for this issue yet or not but any help would be appreciated. If I'm understanding this thread right though, it's very possible I won't be able to edit any photo's until end of December or until Luminar 4 comes out, assuming that it will function on release? If this is just a bug then it should be fixed ASAP because what is the good of photo editing software if I can't open or import any photos with it.

Bruce Bovill

Hi Lawrence, yes they always worked for me when used standalone with Catalina but the problem is that I don't use the products in that way. They are only useful to me as Photos extensions.

The point is that they only have value to me when used that way. Already I have simply used the capabilities of Photos in the meantime, and also Affinity works fine as a series of extensions. What is happening is that, as with Luminar, over time I am weaned off Skylum, which is a shame. I had found Photolemur and Aurora to be useful to me. Useful, but not indispensable.

Lawrence S. Rosenberg

Fair is fair. I just emailed this message to Skylum (I purchased Luminar 3 and pre-ordered 4 two days ago. I have also been using Photolemur since version 2 and now 3):

"Since I discovered that your products will work as standalone under macOS Catalina, I am willing to wait until you can make them work as plugins to Apple Photos. My understanding is that you will have this completed by the end of the year. Therefore, I will continue to support your software by no longer requesting a refund of my very recent purchases.

"However, I would also very much appreciate your making Photolemur work as a plugin to Apple Photos. I have used this extensively, but I am unlikely to bother with the separate steps necessary to edit in standalone mode. Further, once edited in standalone mode, the 'undo' process of Photolemur is a real chore, and unlike the ease of use under Apple Photos were it is a simple a mouse click away.

"Thank you again for your anticipated cooperation."
    Helena Carter

Hi Evryone,

Please, kindly check this post: Please, check this post: https://community.skylum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360006289400-MacOS-10-15-Catalina-Compatibility-

Please sign in to leave a comment.