Lightroom vs Luminar vs Darktable

Comments

7 comments

Bjarne Winkler

Why does it take more that 24 hours to get approval of a post??????  Did I say something that you did not want me to say????  Come on guys, you are bigger than that!

Comment actions Permalink
    Helena Carter

Hi Bjarne,

Sorry for making you wait. We typically approve the posts within 24 hours.

Please, note that we will continue supporting Luminar 3.

Bjarne Winkler

@Helena,

When you say supporting, what does that really means?

- as in we do technical support in how to use the program.

- as in we fix bugs that are reported.

- as is we will add new features to the base program. 

Frank Fiorentino

Based on Skylums history of over promise and under deliver...and basically lie to their customer base, support for L3 means nothing. It will be left in the dust and they hope you will be roped in and pay to upgrade. Do not expect new features or bug fixes once L4 is out. If you are lucky you may get new camera support.

Bjarne Winkler

@Frank, I think you are right.  If it had been different I would have heard back from Skylum.  Two things I have learned about the company is that they are making strange moves and they have an issue finish products.

Example is Flex that was a diversion from the Luminar DAM issue, but in the end is a product with no future.  The interesting part was that this was what the uses wanted.

Well, since Darktable is working not only on workstations OS but also on iPad etc. I think there are other options that if nothing else will work till Skylum figures out what is next after Luminar 4.  

Stephen Warriner

After reading the forums I stayed with L 2018.  Having said that Luminar has some advantages over Lightroom.  First and foremost is layers, LU yes, LR no. Masking, LR limits the tools you can use, no HSL masking for instance.  In luminar you can.

Another feature that LU got right was Darken mode.  Works just like Photoshop where On1 and Affinity it does not.

The only feature that I really need for my workflow and should be standard for a program that has layers is auto align layers. All the programs listed (that have layers) have this feature except Luminar.  I use a heavy tripod and geared head however Sony's software PlayMemories is so bad that I am forced to touch the camera between shots and that sometimes means alignment problems. Mis-alignments have to go back to Lightroom Photoshop combo.  Even if I brought it back to Luminar it is no longer a RAW file. Anyway, mis-aligned images are a pain and slow down workflow simply because it is not on Luminar. Fingers crossed it is in L4 but not holding my breath.

Olha Rowles

Hi Bjarne, by supporting we mean releasing compatibility&feature updates and improving the performance.
    You can have a look at the features we're going to implement here:
    https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 

Please sign in to leave a comment.