Migrated Macs with L3, lost Library and edits. Can I restore?

Comments

6 comments

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

Please try the following

1. Locate the Lost Edits album in the Shortcuts menu within the Library panel.
    2. Click on the Lost Edits shortcut to see the missing images.
    3. Right-click on the desired image and choose Locate Image.
    4. A new navigation window opens.
    5. Navigate to the new location where the file is stored.
    6. Click the Choose Folder button to relink the file(s).

https://skylum.com/luminar/user-guides/chapter-12-lost-edits

If you still have trouble please contact us at www.skylum.com/support so our techs can investigate your case.

Comment actions Permalink
    David Medeiros

I've sent a separate contact to support but to fill in here, I don't have a "lost edits" shortcut (on the latest version). And I'd rather not not have to re link all of my edits one by one anyway. I'd like to have my L3 catalog reinstalled from backup and relinked in total to all of my images. My image folders on the new HD are in the exact same locations with the same names as on my previous Mac, L3 shouldn't have unlinked them in the place but when it did, it should have been a simple auto prompt asking me re point the L3 catalog to the corresponding image collection on my Mac. Instead it dumped my catalog into a backup and started with a new empty catalog, washing out my thumbnails and edits.

Thaddaeus Kong

Hi David, I recently replaced my HDD and managed to recover my edits. Unfortunately the steps requires some technical knowledge, as below.

The Luminar catalog file "Luminar Catalog.luminar" is a sqlite database file, in it there is a table named volumes that stores the top level folder of your photos in the catalog. The file system is referenced by both mount points AND UUID of the partition. When you migrated to your new laptop, the UUID of the partition has changed. Assuming you still have your photos stored under the same mount points, you need to update the UUID to match your new laptop's partition.

Below are the steps required (needless to say, make a backup of your catalog file before editing it);

1) make sure Luminar is not running. run disk utility and find out the UUID of the partition containing your photos. In my example, my new partition's UUID is "5E2C5441-C7F1-32AB-B49C-B6E3A3E29535"

2) load the catalog file into a sqlite editor. I used https://sqlitebrowser.org/

3) have a look at your current volumes table ("select * from volumes").

4) copy the value in the column set info_wide_ch that contains your photo's mount point to a text editor. Update the old UUID with the new UUID from step 1.

5) update the data. In my case, the statement is (if you are not familiar with sql, DO NOT proceed. Make sure you understand what the statement below is doing).

"update volumes set info_wide_ch='{"kBSDNameSerializationKey":"disk4s2","kIsInternalSerializationKey":false,"kEjectableSerializationKey":false,"kVolumeUUIDSerializationKey":"5E2C5441-C7F1-32AB-B49C-B6E3A3E29535","kIsKeySensetiveSerializationKey":false,"kMountPointSerializationKey":"\/Volumes\/DATA"}' where _id_int_64=2;"

Luminar should now find your folders and edits.

If you need more details, feel free to ping me.

Regards,

Thaddaeus.

Helga Rowles

Hi Thaddaeus, thanks a lot for sharing this workaround! 

David Medeiros

Update: found the help for re linking a lost library and it worked, I never re loaded my backed up catalog but it seemed to re populate by itself after playing around with the app a little. Right clicking on my top level Library folder re linked the whole catalog and edits. It was ultimately a smooth process I think the complications I had were a) L3 didn't have any prompts or descriptions other than a thousand little exclamation marks to let me know there was an issue, so finding help in the guide was a problem, unless you just want to risk your library and edits by just hitting buttons. b) L3 was initially un licensed and needed to be updated. Following the steps to fix those issues led to my library at least temporarily being wiped clean after a backup, that makes it very scary to keep playing around with possible fixes when there are no explicit directions in app. Because almost any photographer is guaranteed to need to migrate systems periodically, L3 should have more clear path to re link libraries. In any case where the library itself is still in the same location relative to the app, just on a new machine, it should be automatic.

Thaddaeus Kong

Glad it worked out for you.

Please sign in to leave a comment.