Why Luminar 4

Comments

13 comments

Kate Williams

Hi Geoff,

Usually, the updates to the current version come during the year after its release. However, with Luminar 3, we'd like to fulfill our promises regarding several Library enhancements - those will become available as free updates in 2020. Please feel free to check our Roadmap: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap 

As far as Fuji XE1 RAW files are concerned - this a known issue and our team is working on it. Currently, we have no precise ETA for the fix, but we'll keep you updated. 

If you'd like to enjoy the editing features of Luminar 3 without its Library, the best way would be to use Luminar Flex plugin which you can integrate with software packages of Adobe and Apple. 

Alternatively, you can simply create a new clean Catalog in Luminar 3 (via File > Catalog > New) and open the images for Quick Edit. 

Once the editing is done, you can export the picture to your Drive (File > Export) and then right-click it and select "Remove from Quick Edits).

Comment actions Permalink
    Geoff Collinson

Thanks Kate,

But you haven't answered the question as to why both 3 & 4, and your first paragraph is irrelevant.

There's not much point you making any reference to Flex because I've already stated I only want a one-stop-shop for processing. I've moved away from Adobe and I am on Windows, so why mention Apple?

Vance Zachary

@Geoff fellow user here. I think Kate is trying to tell you that when Luminar 3 was released last December, they promised users certain features that still have not been added. To Skylum's credit, they plan to add these promised features to Luminar 3 without requiring users to upgrade to Luminar 4. They are honoring promises made to Luminar 3 users last December. Luminar 4 will also have these promised features plus new ones that were not on the December roadmap. That is why both Luminar 3 and 4 will get improvements.Hope that helps.

Geoff Collinson

@Vance.

Thanks.

But what is not being said is why both 3 & 4.

I misinterpreted the email inviting me to pay for Luminar 4, believing it to be a price for an upgrade to Luminar 3, with a subsequent change of name - much like Luminar > Luminar 2018 > Luminar 3. NOT that both are to be kept.

I again ask, why both.

Helena Carter

Thanks, Vance. You're completely right!

Geoff, let us know if you have any other questions.

Geoff Collinson

Once again, the answer I am seeking is dodged.

Why have both 3 & 4, rather than one great product?

Angela Andrieux

Hi Geoff,

The upgrade to Luminar 4 is completely optional. Luminar 4 has been rebuilt and is an entirely new application. If you choose to upgrade you will no longer need Luminar 3.

However, if the new features in Luminar 4 are not of interest to you, and you're happy with Luminar 3 you can continue to use it as long as you wish. We still have a couple of free updates coming to Luminar 3 in the next several months. You can get details here: https://skylum.com/luminar/roadmap

Geoff Collinson

Hi Angela,

Still no answer as to why BOTH. It seems a strange decision. From what you intimate, 4 will be a 'better' design, so why continue with 3, it doesn't gel in an evolutionary sense, splitting your development resources between 2 products.

marc labro

strange discussion Geoff,

you are suppose to buy V4 or, if you have V3, pay just the update and so, on your machine you will have V3 and V4 or, if you decide, remove V3 and use only V4.

But for people who can't afford the update or don't want for any reason, Skylum must support V3 and remove bugs,...

This is normal and like that for any software

best regards

marc

Geoff Collinson

Must support, Mark?

Windows software springs to mind.

It doesn't answer my basic question, though, as to why Skylum are promoting these two products, rather than just concentrating on the one. Even if 4 was a true upgrade to 3, the user doesn't have to update. I still have Luminar, Luminar 2018 and 3 on my PC. The former two still open my RAW files, whilst 3 doesn't.

It seems I'm unlikely to get the specific answer to my question. So I shall remove my subscription to this thread.

Thank you all for dropping by with your comments.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Geoff,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Luminar 4 will be the flagship application once it is released. However, we will still provide support for those who choose not to upgrade and wish to continue using Luminar 3.

There will be a couple of free updates coming soon and in early 2020 to Luminar 3 to provide promised functionality for IPTC metadata editing, etc. but after that time all new functionality will be added to Luminar 4 only.

Please let me know if I can further clarify.

Jim B

Will Luminar 4 have Panorama stitching ?

Thanks and regards

Jim

Kirk Osborn

We don't plan on making a tool for stitching panoramas, but I can definitely see how you would want to have this feature. We’ve heard that request quite a bit so maybe we will consider developing that in the future.

Please sign in to leave a comment.