Presets should not reset the transform/lens settings

Comments

7 comments

Robin Watts

Or, could we have a way to "lock" stuff so that applying a preset doesn't overwrite it?

Comment actions Permalink
    Bill Kyle

I usually use "Adjustment Layers" to apply presets "Looks" and if I do not like the adjustments made, I delete that layer if resetting a filter individually doesn't help. That should preserve lens correction.

Robin Watts

That's a fantastic workaround, thanks. But it's still a workaround, and it'd be nice if the system handled it "properly".

Kate Williams

Hi Robin,

Please note that a look is basically a collection of the filters. When you're applying it to the base layer, it overwrites your previously done edits. If you'd like to preserve them, you can apply the preset to the new adjustment layer. 

Alternatively, you may apply the preset first to see whether it has a RAW develop filter in it and if not, apply the RAW Develop filter additionally.

By the way, just a heads up: you can revert the changes using a history button: http://prntscr.com/p0diya 

Robin Watts

Hi Kate.

Yeah, I understand how they work (I'm a software engineer, so I have a grasp of the mechanisms it uses). What I'm saying is that to an untrained user it's unnatural and annoying (and to a trained one it's just annoying).

Do any of the looks out there ever set the lens correction/transform options to anything other than the default? If not, it'd do no harm to omit them.

Or you could have each look *also* contain a list of which settings to apply, and leave the "lens" and "transform" ones unselected in all the system looks.

Yes, I can revert the changes using the history button; until someone else pointed out the Adjustment layer workaround, I'd been relying on reverting, copying the values out onto paper, changing the look and then reapplying them. The adjustment layer workaround is better than nothing, but it's still a pain. To say that people have to do that is to admit that there is a flaw in the design of the workflow.

Bill Kyle

Would it be easier to just apply lens correction last? I don't do a lot of lens correction, so I am not sure if that workflow is even recommended or not. 

Bill Kyle

After reading Kate's replay again I think that would be the best way.

Please sign in to leave a comment.