Luminar 4 as both Plug-In and Standalone?

Comments

9 comments

Vereslavska Anna Veres

Hi,

1. Yes, you can.

You will be able to use Luminar 4 as:

• A photo editor. An easy to use tool for opening individual photographs and editing them to perfection.
    • A plugin and extension. The ability to add Luminar to your favorite Adobe and Apple applications.
    • A photo library. The ability to import, browse, rate, and view your entire photo library easily.

2. You will have Luminar 4 installed once on your computer and you will be able to use it in different ways. 

3. See point 2. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Howard Lebowitz

Anna,

Has Skylum decided to enable Affinity Photo as a host for the Luminar 4 plug-in? Many of us have left the Adobe ecosystem and want subscription free software...

Helga Rowles

Hi Howard, not at the moment, we'll post the list of host applications as we get closer to the release. 

David Salyer

I'm a bit confused by the Luminar Flex product. I already use Luminar as a plug-in and have pre-ordered Luminar 4 upgrade. I see from this thread that the new product can also be used as a plug-in or standalone. Great. But why have the Flex product? Is that a "plug-in only" product? My fear when this product came out was that the standalone would deprecate the plug-in feature. So since I don't have to worry about that, I really have no reason to buy both products, right?

Kate Williams

Hi David,

Flex is a plug-in only product, that's more optimized for the plugin workflow that Luminar 3. 

As compared with Luminar 3, Flex has numerous benefits for plugin users:

• More host application support.
    • A cleaner user interface without the Info and Library tabs.
    • Performance optimized software that’s specifically made to run as a plugin or extension.
    • Multiple benefits for Photoshop users with improved support for Photoshop Smart Objects and Actions.

Still, Luminar 3 functions as plugin too. If you're comfortable with your current workflow, then there's no need for you to purchase Flex. However, if you use Luminar mostly as a plugin and would like to work with Flex instead, we may simply switch your licenses (Luminar 3 > Luminar Flex). For that, simply drop us a message at https://skylum.com/support

Also please note that Luminar 4 will incorporate the best features of both Luminar 3 and Luminar Flex and will be a universal solution. 

Michael Mansfield

Kate,

I'm happily using Flex, and have just pre-ordered Luminar 4. Could you tell me if Flex and Luminar 4 can run as separate programs on the same machine, or will Flex be over-written? Thanks.

Angela Andrieux

Hi Michael,

You'll be able to have Luminar 4 and Luminar Flex installed side-by-side. However, once you get used to Luminar 4 I doubt you'll be using Luminar Flex. :-) Once you're comfortable with the new version you can remove Luminar Flex from your system...or keep it. It's up to you.

David Salyer

Thanks Angela & Kate. I don't have Luminar 3, I have 1.3 and have pre-ordered Luminar 4. I saw something somewhere that stated Luminar 3 would be deprecating plug-in capability for Photos.app and I panicked a little bit thinking that Luminar 4 would suffer the same fate. While I rarely use Luminar in standalone mode, I will still plan to upgrade to the full version when it comes out (hopefully soon) and know that Flex is something I won't be needing then.

Dave S.

Angela Andrieux

Hi David,

We're very sorry for any confusion that caused! Luminar Flex was released for those who work exclusively with our software as a plugin and we added some special functionality to Flex that is not available in Luminar 3 to make the plugin workflow better.

With Luminar 4, it will be a plugin and/or standalone and will have all of the functionality of Luminar Flex plus the new AI tools that we've been previewing.

Rest assured we won't be abandoning our plugin users! I've been using the Luminar 4 beta as a Lightroom and Photoshop plugin and it works flawlessly. I think you'll like it!

Please sign in to leave a comment.