SkyLum's track record and what they do best.

Comments

5 comments

Anastasia Davis

Hi Bill! Thanks for your honest opinion Please note that plugin functionality is not our main focus. Luminar 4 will be both plugin and standalone. 

Comment actions Permalink
    Bill Endicott

Anastasia,

Please note As I stated "As a stand alone it leaves a GREAT DEAL to be desired".  In fact as a stand alone it only semi sorta almost kinda works but not really.  This has been noted in these forums quite a bit and SkyLum has stated they have changed their priority to making cool tools.  Thus "Stand Alone" will remain as non-viable as it is, Leaving Plugin as the only viable way to use the product.  Thus Lightroom dependent ONLY. 

This is not a good solution.  As a customer I see NO reason to purchase Luminar4 if it only works from Lightroom.  I will DEFINITELY be waiting to see the reports coming out AFTER release before I even think about purchasing it.

Vance Zachary

@Bill I agree wholeheartedly with most that you have to say. We are coming up on the anniversary of Luminar 3 and it, despite several
    updates, is still slow and buggy. Most of the features outlined in the original Luminar roadmap are still absent with no ETA in sight. And although Windows-Mac parity is closer, it still in significant measure has not been achieved.

I also agree Luminar as a plugin works far better than Luminar standalone. I think overall that the happiest Luminar users either use it exclusively as a plugin or have scaled down expectations for Luminar 3. In the meantime we just need to give them time (years) and see what they can come up with.

kelly beck

In all honesty, If you think of the comparisons you are doing... Lightroom you're adjusting very small increment sliders.... yet in luminar you're doing a lot more processing than a simple change in LR.... Maybe upgrade your machine? I know I had a small delay, so I upgrade to a 2019 Mac 15" 16gb Ram and It runs without an issue

Filipe Brandão

Bill has made a very valid point here. I have, like him, purchased Luminar 2018 because of the promise of "Lightroom replacement". At the time the list of promised features seemed to match my workflow needs. In particular the DAM with metadata editing features, which is absolutely fundamental. As these features have failed to materialize I got stuck in Lightroom with the Luminar3 siting dud in my hard-drive.

When I received the email announcing version 4 requiring a paid upgrade I felt the trust I had placed in Skylum was betrayed. I understand development delays may happen, but this is different. You are trying to push a 1-year development cycle without first showing you are capable of fulfilling it (like Bill has shown). There isn't even a Beta to test the promised features of Luminar3 let alone the features of Luminar4. This is not crowdfunding! The way this is going it seems that Luminar will continue to be a half-baked Lightroom replacement with a small discount. I'll wait and see if I'm proved wrong...

Please sign in to leave a comment.